Thread: Knoppix + Apache,MySQL,PHP,SSL,FVWM2, etc...

Knoppix + Apache,MySQL,PHP,SSL,FVWM2, etc...

Hi there,
    I've been using Knoppix (an older iso) as a rescue CD for the past year or so. I recently started working at different places on different computers (all PCs) that dont have the tools I need to do my work, this makes that I'm forced to program my php file without testing it, all this in a disgusting text editor such as notepad!

I have read the Remastering Knoppix FAQ and I understand that Knoppix is a debian distribution with some addons that permits it to work on a CD. I was wondering how one would be about using what's on the CD already, then delete some useless stuff (such as games I'll never play, etc...) and then install some software but not using the debian package system, rather install them from source.

How would one go about adding software to his remastered Knoppix CD by compiling from source?

I would also like to configure a couple of things to make sure the window manager is FVWM2 and not KDE or such. Another thing I've thought is it's possible the ISO I will make will benefit some people, is there a way to publish the ISO? Is there a free server on which I can host my ISO, an association or anything like that?

Thanks for any info!
    Turner

Member registered user

Re: Knoppix + Apache,MySQL,PHP,SSL,FVWM2, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by turner
    Hi there,
    I've been using Knoppix (an older iso) as a rescue CD for the past year or so. I recently started working at different places on different computers (all PCs) that dont have the tools I need to do my work, this makes that I'm forced to program my php file without testing it, all this in a disgusting text editor such as notepad!

I have read the Remastering Knoppix FAQ and I understand that Knoppix is a debian distribution with some addons that permits it to work on a CD. I was wondering how one would be about using what's on the CD already, then delete some useless stuff (such as games I'll never play, etc...) and then install some software but not using the debian package system, rather install them from source.

How would one go about adding software to his remastered Knoppix CD by compiling from source?

I would also like to configure a couple of things to make sure the window manager is FVWM2 and not KDE or such. Another thing I've thought is it's possible the ISO I will make will benefit some people, is there a way to publish the ISO? Is there a free server on which I can host my ISO, an association or anything like that?

Thanks for any info!
    Turner
    If you've read the Remastering Knoppix FAQ, I would suggest you read the Remastering Knoppix Howto. This provides instructions to removing packages and installing packages through apt-get. There is no special requirements for compiling source in the chrooted environment. Just remember not to remove gcc/g++ when you are removing packages.

You mean it is as simple as doing all the document says and at the moment I would use the apt programs to update the packages and everthing, I could also decompress and compile other software from source, use `make install` as it will install inside the chrooted environment and that's it?

That would be awesome!
    I'll make sure I print all documents related to remastering so I can have all possible info before I try. Thanks!