Thread: DVD 8-16-05 Can't Find Filesystem

DVD 8-16-05 Can't Find Filesystem

I'm trying to boot to this DVD, which burned successfully. MD5 checked OK. I have an Intel 925XE Chipset based motherboard, which has the bootable drive set to CD-ROM. It boots to the disc then said it can't find the Knoppix filesystem. Is this a limitation of my board/BIOS not supporting booting to DVDs? Any info would be great!

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: DVD 8-16-05 Can't Find Filesystem

Quote Originally Posted by muzicman82
    It boots to the disc then said it can't find the Knoppix filesystem. Is this a limitation of my board/BIOS not supporting booting to DVDs? Any info would be great!
    I doubt very much that is is a BIOS not supporting booting from a DVD. My notebook boots the DVD fine. A desktop (about 6 years old, AMD 1 Ghz cpu, Abit motherboard) does seem to have a BIOS issue. But in that case the BIOS just doesn't boot the DVD at all; it does not start to boot and then have a problem. Using Smart Boot Manager, by the way, does allow me to boot the DVD on that system, so if my information doesn't convince you and you want to prove it to yourself, you could make a SBM floppy and try to see if that changes the booting results.

I did see this "can't find filesystem" one time on a friend's system who I gave a DVD to. We just rebooted and tried again and it booted, as far as I know he hasn't seen the problem again since. It would be nice to pin down what it is though.

Thanks for that info. I'll try UBCD tonight. I built this PC only 2 months ago, and it's ridiculously fast and powerful, so I don't know what it is. Think it would have anything to do with the DVD drive being a SATA and not ATAPI? Would the system need a driver loaded first? It's just weird it starts to boot then quits.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by muzicman82
    Think it would have anything to do with the DVD drive being a SATA and not ATAPI?
    This is just a guess, but I would think it's highly likely that that could be the issue.

Similar Threads

1. Can't find Knoppix filesystem ...
    By nofsystem in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 10:18 PM
  2. Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
    By boomer777 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2005, 10:26 PM
  3. DVD - Can't find a KNOPPIX Filesystem
    By rabinhood in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2005, 09:39 PM
  4. can't find KNOPPIX filesystem
    By sfit in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 05:50 PM
  5. Cannot find filesystem