Thread: I have no Cd writer to make bootable disc

I have no Cd writer to make bootable disc

Hello,
    I have downloaded all the knoppix files and the iso image from the net, but i have a problem, i am not able to load knopix because, my cd writer is not working, and i am not able to create a bootable disc for knoppix.

Is there a way to boot knoppix directly from the hard disk, i also tried creating a virtual Cd drive and mounted the knoppix iso image there, but when i log off windows and reboot the system, the virtual drive seems to have disappeared.

Urgent help needed here.

Thank you all !

It might be easier to just buy a knoppix CD from the web. I bought one from ebay a while back for $3 (including shipping).

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: I have no Cd writer to make bootable disc

Quote Originally Posted by ikaruga
    It might be easier to just buy a knoppix CD from the web. I bought one from ebay a while back for $3 (including shipping).
    That's awful advice, doesn't really answer the user's question, and is likely to get you a sloppy marginal high speed burnt disc that may work on some systems but not others. (And it's hardly like buying a working CD burner is very expensive.)

Quote Originally Posted by AnirudhTheGreat
    Is there a way to boot knoppix directly from the hard disk, i also tried creating a virtual Cd drive and mounted the knoppix iso image there, but when i log off windows and reboot the system, the virtual drive seems to have disappeared.
    Yea, that virtual drive hack isn't going to work for the exact reason that you mentioned. I have however seen many others discussing in these forums ways that they booted the ISO directly from a regular partition (not a virtual drive). I've never done it myself and don't know enough about what is involved to comment on it directly, but a bit of searching through the forums for info on booting the iso from hard disk should find information.

Member registered user
    Hi, you can check out this wiki:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition and follow the steps.
    i'm using the technique at work since i dont have a cd burner and i can't make a new partition dedicated to knoppix. you can use a usb drive to save your knoppix settings and other stuff. :P
    you can also review the post i did about your concern:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20959

Senior Member registered user
    Thank you, but - no, thank you. My voice goes to Vector: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/...#integrity_lin

4.2 Direct ISO on a Windows Host

This is a new method that will save you a CDROM burning. Assume that you already have Windows running on the computer, and the partitions have been prepared as suggested before. Download the following files from Vector Linux FTP site (e.g: ftp://anymirror/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.0)

* The ISO file from one of iso directory (iso/, iso-soho/, or iso-dynamite/). Put it on top level directory (C:\ or D:\). Don't forget to check its integrity as explained before.
    * The next files should be placed into C:\loadlin
    o loadlin.exe
    Get it from “install/loadlin/” directory whithin the FTP site.
    o initrd.img
    Find it as “isolinux/initrd.img” whithin the FTP site
    o The kernel file that matches your system (ide, scsi, sata, adaptec)
    You may select one of them from “isolinux/kernel/” directory whithin FTP site.

Then proceed with the installation:

* Shutdown Windows to DOS mode.
    * Type “cd C:\loadlin” <enter> (without quotes)
    * Type “loadlin ide root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img” <enter> (without quotes).

You should replace the “ide” with the name of the kernel that you downloaded earlier. The standard installation process will be started.

4.3 Direct ISO on a Linux Host

If you have another Linux running on the computer, this method will be easy. You need to download the following files into a directory (e.g: /home/download):

* The ISO image file (vl, vlsoho or vldynamite).
    * vlinstall-iso
    Find it as “install/vinstall/vinstall-iso” whithin the FTP site

Now go to the text console (press Alt-F1) and login as root. Proceed as follow:

* Switch to run level 2 (or 3 in Slackware/Redhat, etc)
    init 2 <enter>
    * Go to the directory where you downloaded the files, i.e.: /home/download
    cd /home/download<enter>
    * Now, install using the ISO file
    ./vinstall-iso vl-5.0.iso <enter>

I didn't believe this can work and it realy works. It would be nice to have something like this for Knoppix...

Hi,
    I am interesting by install from HD ( the dvd 4.0).
    The procedure related concerns only vlinux I think, the similaire already exists in debian for example, I 've used it.
    ( If a linux is installed , add simply the installer to the /boot/isolinux for example and declare it in the menu.lst of the grub)
    you download the apropriate install kernel, and install the system via file, ftp, http ....

The problem with Knoppix, it doesn't contain such installer, I 've tried with the installer which is in the isolinux, but it works only with the dvd I think because the screen freezes and remains there!!,
    To solve the problem the developper of knoppix have ( I think ) to add the isolinux like debian has!

Maybe I am wrong,

has anyone an idea to install from HD??
    best regards
    bela

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tdjokic
    * Shutdown Windows to DOS mode.
    * Type “cd C:\loadlin” <enter> (without quotes)
    * Type “loadlin ide root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img” <enter> (without quotes).
    ...I didn't believe this can work and it realy works. It would be nice to have something like this for knoppix...
    Quote Originally Posted by bela
    ...has anyone an idea to install from HD?? best regards bela
    The following links describe on how to use grub to boot knoppix and other OS from a windows formatted machine.
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition , http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796
    Lilo (loadlin.exe) works as well but requires first to boot to dos and then the kernel path length is limited ! (big problem for knoppix which uses a lot of kernel cheatcodes) Btw grub.exe can also be started from dos and do not have such a limitation. I believe that grub is much more powerful and offers much more flexibility and features: command line prompt, editable menus at run time, network boot, floppy/hd emulation (boot win98 from a ramdisk is pretty cool). The previous links describe how to start grub (grldr) from a XP machine without touching the mbr nor the boot sectors, only a single line added at the end of the boot.ini which can be done easily with notepad from windows. cf: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21116 But if you prefer to use lilo (loadlin), this is really up to you... My 2 cents. Best Regards, Gilles

Junior Member registered user
    Gilles is right. Following his directions I am posting this running 3.7 from an .iso image on a ntfs partition. Very easy!

Member registered user
    Yeah, I support Gilles too. I'm using his technique here in the office where i cannot partition this hard drive. When my boss comes around, i just restart back to windows without problems. knoppix rocks!