Hi,

I have a knoppix 3.7 HDD installed on /dev/sda1. I also have a linux swap partition on /dev/sda2. /dev/sda3 is an NTFS (windows only) partition and /dev/sda4 is a partition that I use to transfer files between windows and knoppix (FAT partition). I don't have a bootloader, but if I want to boot to knoppix, I pop my CD in, and my BIOS boots from the CD, and I tell the knoppix boot screen to run from /dev/sda1. This all works fine when I boot from a Knoppix 3.7 CD to boot. However, I recently downloaded and burned a Knoppix 4.0.2 image, and tried to get it to load the Knoppix 3.7 HDD install, but I got a load of fatal errors, and ultimately I got an error about the nVidia driver not being found, so I got a text based login screen. I can post the fatal errors later on today when I get to the machine in question.

Basically, I reckon that all these errors are due to the fact that the boot CD is version 4.0.2, and the knoppix HD install is version 3.7, so what I'm trying to find out is how can I install Knoppix 4.0.2 over a current HDD install? If I do this, will it completely overwrite my current configuration/settings?

My setup is as follows:

AMD Athlon64 3000+
768 MD DDR RAM @ 200 MHZ FSB
40 GB maxtor HDD
300 GB SATA maxtor HDD
GeForce FX 5900XT (256 MB RAM)
Sound Blaster SBPCI 128
Belkin 54g wireless USB adapter
Acer flatscreen monitor
Microsoft intellimouse (infrared)

I can't remember the model of the mobo, but I think it's a VIA KT266 chipset.