Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Knoppix using NatSemi DP83815 stopped working

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Knoppix using NatSemi DP83815 stopped working

Quote Originally Posted by ol fart
    I have experienced this problem on Compaq Presario 2190US with knoppix and gentoo live-cd's....
    Wow, you found a pretty old thread. It could have been named a lot of things; if I were to go back and change it I think I would use something like "Knoppix can no longer use my NIC, but only after running a Windows security update". If you are interested in this topic you might want to also look at this thread where more of the problem has been discussed. I do not have a final fix for the problem and my HP notebook still has this problem with old versions of Knoppix. But newer versions seem to be doing their startup logic differently (I don't think they use the configuration logic stored in the eeprom any more) and I personally have no had this problem since about 3.8 and others don't seem to be posting about it.

Re: Knoppix using NatSemi DP83815 stopped working

Posts going away does not necessarily mean problems have gone away. It just means people have gone away.

Version 4 knoppix does not properly network on a presario 2190 using a westell 2200 set for connection always on and dhcp enabled or disabled, without IF passthrough. With or without static NAT. MS ME on the desktop connects regardless of these settings on the westell. It properly obtains an IP in the 192.168.1.1-253 range when DHCP is enabled. It does not have to be powered down between changes. If the westell is set for static NAT to 192.168.1.1 and DHCP is disabled, and the IP on the destop is changed to 192.168.1.2, the westell connects to the new IP but does not update the static NAT IP unless it is disabled and then enabled, when it shows the static NAT connection by hostname. In any case, the network card is not turned off. This cannot be said of the knoppix v4 implementation. DHCP does not properly obtain an IP or a lease from a westell 2200 and, on failure is interacting with the network card drivers and registers to cause yawns and deep sleeps. Maybe, after netcardconfig,

cat /proc/interrupts
    /etc/init.d/net.eth0 zap
    /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start

There are more than apic problems in the kernel cured by apic=off involved here. My beef is that ifconfig is not written to do a proper inventory of the state of the interface when invoked with the up command.

If I were not bound and determined to get away from MS, I would not tolerate a hundredth of this aggravation. I am going to the gentoo forums with this. Perhaps these specifics will assist someone. Best wishes to all here.

Glad someone raised this from the dead before I did

I have this exact NS DP 83815 network chipset and problem . It is on a HP xt4300 Laptop. I was hoping someone could help me out. I know this is a Linux forum, and I'm running NT5. I used all the versions of drivers I could find and a clean install on each. No dice. It gets assigned an IP address, and will not connect to anything (I am trying to connect directly to a cable modem via network cable). If I try to release or renew the IP in ipconfig, it returns an error saying it cannot connect to DHCP server. I have also tried E:\>work or I will punt you out the freaking window; but, that had nary an effect also. Won't even speak of the worthless phone techs who couldn't figure this out either. Any ideas? I'm on my last leg here

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567