Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preempt kernel, anyone?

Preempt kernel, anyone?

Hey all:

Just started playing with Knoppix. After installing on my HD, I started checking out the kernel. Looks like a 'vanilla' kernel with XFS patch, and a small Knoppix patch.

Has anyone recompiled it with the preempt patch? I've compile kernels before, but I'm a little stumped....my /usr/src/linux doesn't actually contain the sources, I'm guessing to save space. I looked at the included .config file, and it seems that it's building almost every module available!

So can I just download the latest from kernels.org, apply my patches, and compile? I wasn't really sure how to handle initrd.gz, either.

-Charlie

Senior Member registered user
    See my post here for an already compiled kernel with low-latency ( like preeemt) and LPP and crypto.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66

Junior Member registered user

2.4.20-ck with low-latency, preempt, alsa, and *NO TCP/IP*

I had a fun time hacking away with Klaus' miniroot and compiling my own custom kernel. I'll write up a little knoppix-custom-kernel-howto if enough people are interested.

I have dist-upgraded knoppix 3.1 (12/12/2002) to debian unstable for the snappy gcc 3.2.2, and hacked up my own kernel based on the -ck patch compilation for 2.4.20. I also have modified the Knoppix CD to boot with isolinux, removing the need for floppy or hard drive emulation, and the need for mounting a floppy image with the loop device, then a second floppy image under a second loop device to get to the initrd environment for hacking

Re: 2.4.20-ck with low-latency, preempt, alsa, and *NO TCP/I

Quote Originally Posted by drfreak
    I had a fun time hacking away with Klaus' miniroot and compiling my own custom kernel. I'll write up a little knoppix-custom-kernel-howto if enough people are interested.
    Yes that would be very helpful, there are people who need custom kernels, and a howto would be great! I have done it but it was a bit of hit and miss. See my post about knet kernel ( with preempt/lpp/crypto )

Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    Yes that would be very helpful, there are people who need custom kernels, and a howto would be great! I have done it but it was a bit of hit and miss. See my post about knet kernel ( with preempt/lpp/crypto )
    Damn, just finished the preface and intro when I stupidly closed my browser window. Now to go type this up in an editor as I should have done to begin with!

I'll post my draft shortly..

Quote Originally Posted by drfreak
    Damn, just finished the preface and intro when I stupidly closed my browser window. Now to go type this up in an editor as I should have done to begin with!

I'll post my draft shortly..
    Wow done already :
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...tomKernelHowto

You are a good writer!! Thanks a lot! When I have a bit more time i'll look at it more closely to see if I can add anything useful.

You are a good writer!! Thanks a lot! When I have a bit more time i'll look at it more closely to see if I can add anything useful.
    Thank you. I'm glad I could give something back to this site. I use it a lot when I am poking around in Knoppix. Everyone here seems very motivated and friendly, so I'm glad if this helps them.

Does the Knoppix 5.1.0-5.1.1 kernel have realtime-preemption? I typed 'uname -a' in Terminal and get the following output:

'Linux BARDOT 2.6.19 #7 SMP PREEMPT Sun Dec 17 22:01:07 CET 2006 i686 GNU/Linux'

Does the PREEMPT portion mean it has it? This thread is pretty old, so i hope Knoppix does have realtime-preemption by now.....

Re: Preempt kernel, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Hey all:

Just started playing with Knoppix. After installing on my HD, I started checking out the kernel. Looks like a 'vanilla' kernel with XFS patch, and a small Knoppix patch.

Has anyone recompiled it with the preempt patch? I've compile kernels before, but I'm a little stumped....my /usr/src/linux doesn't actually contain the sources, I'm guessing to save space. I looked at the included .config file, and it seems that it's building almost every module available!

So can I just download the latest from kernels.org, apply my patches, and compile? I wasn't really sure how to handle initrd.gz, either.

-Charlie
    I haver compiled 2.6.21 kernel with -rt and aufs patch http://linux.ilmainen.net/suomiknopp...2.6.21.5-rt18/. There's also a working cloop module in that site, so you can remaster Knoppix with realtime preemption patch by using my kernel. There has been some troubles to compile cloop with 2.6.22 and 2.6.23 kernels and that's why my latest kernel is 2.6.21. Also compiling aufs don't work at this time with 2.6.23 kernel (no problem with 2.6.22).

But if installing kernel to hard disk, you don't need cloop and aufs. So you can download kernel source from kernel.org, patch it with -rt patch http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/, compile it and install it to your Debian based system.

-tapsa-

Re: Preempt kernel, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by tr
    But if installing kernel to hard disk, you don't need cloop and aufs. So you can download kernel source from kernel.org, patch it with -rt patch http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/, compile it and install it to your Debian based system.
    Yes, i want to install realtime preemption to my Knoppix Debian-based HD installation. How would i install the preempt patched kernel and have the option of choosing BOTH the original kernel and preemptive one at the grub boot loader? Although, as i posted above, i might already have a realtime preempt kernel, since 'uname -a' says PREEMPT. How can i confirm if the kernel has realtime preemption applied to it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast