Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB-ADSL Modem - Can't setup broadband internet - HELP

USB-ADSL Modem - Can't setup broadband internet - HELP

Hey,
    I just got Knoppix, I'm a Linux newbie and I need help connecting to broadband internet through a USB connected ADSL modem, I've looked through help pages and I found one that might have helped but it said "To make the connection:
    1. Make sure the Ethernet cable from the ADSL router is connected to the computer's Ethernet adapter."
    and the problem is my computer has no Ethernet Adapter, and it doesn't use an Ethernet Cable, it uses a USB cable and is connected to the computer via USB.
    Can someone help me A.S.A.P ? Can you tell me how to setup internet ?

Thanks,
    ehzrar@yahoo.co.nz

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: USB-ADSL Modem - Can't setup broadband internet - HELP

Quote Originally Posted by ehzrar
    ....and the problem is my computer has no Ethernet Adapter, and it doesn't use an Ethernet Cable, it uses a USB cable and is connected to the computer via USB.
    Yes, you have accurately identified the problem. Some people have actually managed to get some usb dsl modems to sorta work under Knoppix, but the real problem is that you have that type of modem at all. My advice (not that anyone ever cares about my advice), 1 - demand a ethernet based modem and 2 - if the modem doesn't have a built-in router, buy an inexpensive DSL/cable (soho) router to connect to the modem and never connect to the internet without using the router.

???

I don't know if that matters, because the ADSL modem cannot be connected to my computer via ethernet because there is no ethernet slot or ethernet card in my computer. Is is possible to connect to the internet vai USB connected modem?

Thanks for the reply

Re: ???

Quote Originally Posted by ehzrar
    I don't know if that matters, because the ADSL modem cannot be connected to my computer via ethernet because there is no ethernet slot or ethernet card in my computer. Is is possible to connect to the internet vai USB connected modem?
    As I did mention, people have managed to get some to work. You can search this forum and see what information you can find. But are you saying you have no empty slot that you could put an ethernet card in? PCI ethernet cards can be had for as little as $5 or less if you shop around a little. I personally would never run a high speed connection without the protection a router provides (vitally important with Windows but growing in importance with Linux). There are many other benefits too.

Senior Member registered user
    The Speedtouch 330 can be made to work with Kanotix and UnionFs; I'm not sure about the current state of UnionFS with Knoppix.

drb

I have the same problem under knoppix 4.0 but in knoppix 3.6 my USB Motorola Surfborad Cable moden is autodetected in the boot sequense, it seems that there the hotplug autoscan sequence works fine.. i bealive that someone screwed up this at 4.0, hope there is some way to repare this cuz i cant make internet work on this new knoppix version.

I had similar problems running a speedtouch USB modem, but after running the script I found at the site below, it worked fine.

http://christophe.delord.free.fr/en/adsl/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lockett
    it worked fine
    People have managed to get these things to work under Linux, but never fine. USB is awful for networking. Heck, it's awful for any high speed use. You do know that 480 mb USB2 is actually much slower than 400 mb firewire for external hard disk access, don't you? It's the same for networking; there is way to much overhead and handshaking for every byte transfered (along with some other poor design issues with USB). And this approach still locks you out of using a router for security and multiple system utility. So I would never consider a USB modem fine. You may not know the difference until you hook a ethernet modem in place of the usb modem, but it will be very significant.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

yeah im having the same problem , usb modem , speedtouch , im trying to use KANOTIX .

i read from loads of sites that i should download this cript, and that script...

to be honest im a 100%noob im using a live cd , to get used to it before i do a hdd install.

all i want is detailed information on what the hell to do!

if anyone can help me it would be greatly welcomed

please help my sanity is at risk

Quote Originally Posted by logic
    all i want is detailed information on what the hell to do!
    Contact IPS

Explain to them that you have learned that a USB modem does not fit your needs, keeps you from running Linux, and keeps you from running a hardware firewall device to properly protect your system. Also mention that you have learned that USB is strangling away much of the throughput that you are paying for by it's extremely poor network performance.

You will be told that there is nothing that they can do and that you are screwed. Demand to talk to a supervisor.

Repeat above. Point out how much you spend a month and how much that will total over the next five years. Explain that if you do not get a decent viable modem that you will cancel your service, either right now or if they have you on a contract as soon as your contract is up. Also if there is a contract issue mention that you will be contacting the consumer protection people at your state's Atorney General office as to what they think of the ISP providing inadequate equipment and trying to lock you on the contract (and then do so).

If you stand your ground you can get a decent modem at no extra charge. I did. If you can't or if you live in a country where customers buy their modems from sources other then the ISP then you bought a hunk of junk without doing proper research (see if you can make the store take it back). Also see if any of your friends have a decent ethernet modem sitting on the shelf collecting dirt because they moved on to faster cable service (I have a few) and would give you their old modems. Or just move to another ISP and be sure you get an ethernet modem this time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast