Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is there a North American site with Knoppix 4.02 DVD?

is there a North American site with Knoppix 4.02 DVD?

Is there a North American site with Knoppix 4.02 DVD? Unfortunately, my university won't let me use BitTorrent to download. Also, the download from Germany is just 10K/s.

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: is there a North American site with Knoppix 4.02 DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearly
    Is there a North American site with Knoppix 4.02 DVD? Unfortunately, my university won't let me use BitTorrent to download. Also, the download from Germany is just 10K/s.
    You do have the one valid reason to still use a mirror. Unfortunately, because of the high demand and large size of this file, the mirrors are being hit very hard right now. With BitTorrent this stuation may actuallu help get you a download fast, but with the mirrors it can make a download difficult. For what little consolation it is, I'm in the U.S. too and back when I had to use the mirrors I frequently found that I had to use mirrors outside the U.S. to even get the CD version in less than 24 hours. My first advice would be to make friends with someone who doesn't depend on the university system for Internet access. Failing that, make sure that you have a computer that you can leave connected for a while (don't start the download on a notebook that you will want to take to class), and shop around the mirrors for one that is offerning you a half way decent download speed, don't be overly concerned about location, although location may give you a clue as to which ones may have lower demand. Of course, you could try buing a disc, but I always have concerns that such media has been burnt at high speeds and will be unreliable.

Junior Member registered user

is there a North American site with Knoppix 4.02 DVD?

Try ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix-dvd/

They are in San Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearly
    I just finished the BitTorrent download to my Linux machine and wrote the DVD. I took 39 hours and 40 minutes to download. My average download was 21.98KB/s. I uploaded @ 11.38KB/s. I am going to seed until I have returned 110%. I must admited that I wish I had used the ftp of kernel.org. It would have to be faster.

This is being written on my Windows machine using Knoppix 4.0.2 in the DVD drive and Mozilla Firefox 1.0.6. Despite the long download time, I am very pleased with the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by stanmc
    I just finished the BitTorrent download to my Linux machine and wrote the DVD. I took 39 hours and 40 minutes to download. My average download was 21.98KB/s. I uploaded @ 11.38KB/s. I am going to seed until I have returned 110%. I must admited that I wish I had used the ftp of kernel.org. It would have to be faster.
    BitTorrent just should not have taken that long, I got mine much faster and I started about an hour after it was released, with only 1 seeder, on a very slow computer. Other people are reporting much much better speeds, particularly in recent days. I strongly suspect that you did not have your hardware and software configured properly, although I have to admit I'm not sure of that since you reported a reasonable upload speed.

Do you have a router? Did you configure it to forward the BitTorrent ports to the system that you ran BitTorrent on?

Do you have a software firewall on the computer that you used? Did you allow it to pass traffic properly? It's not that awful Microsoft "firewall", is it?

You mention that you were going to seed. Are you seeing that you are indeed continuing to progress in uploading to others?

Do you have any insight or even a guess as to why it may have been so much slower for you? What type of connection do you have, what's is the normal capacity that you see, and was there anything else of significance going on at the time that might have affected your download speed?

Although you have the download now, it would be nice to see if we can determine why your download went so much slower than expect so that we might resolve this before the next time that you want to use BitTorrent.

For reference, I am on a 1.5 meg DSL system. I got the DVD on the first day in a little less than 24 hours (and I thought that was slow, but not unexpected considering the small number of seeders). On the second day I got the CD in 2 hours (amazingly fast since the max I could ever hope to get it on my connection would be 1 1/2 hours for a file that size), which would equate to a DVD version in about 8 hours or so. Looking at the torrent the seeder to downloaders ratio is quite good now and I see many people that are getting the download at good speeds, I see some are running at slow speeds too, but I know nothing about their configurations. I even see some people (looking at the peer list on my seeding BitTorrent) that are running old versions of 3.x BitTorrent that are know not to be able to download files over 2 gigs in size, so I know there are users out there that are poorly configured. But if you report back that you think all looks well on your system I'm even willing to do an experiment and see how fast I could download a part of the DVD again and extrapolate that to give a download time; I just can't imagine a properly setup system taking that much time now.

Harry I agree that it shouldn't have taken that long. I was watching the downloads on addresses near to mine, and many of us were getting really bad speeds. Occasionally it would go to 70-75, but most of the time it stayed in the 13-25 range. I am currently seeding at 12-13KB/s.

I have a router with ports 6881-6889 forwarded as well as 6969. These addresses are matched in the SMC 7004ABR setup with trigger port configuration of TCP and public port of 6969,6881-6999 with public type of TCP and enabled. The example I used also had ports 6890, 6891 and 6892 directed to the address of the machine using TCP, but they did not have matching trigger port definitions. I established it that way because that is the way the example showed it. In looking at the BNBT File Info page, there are a tremendous number of people, even at the 80 and 90% completion stage who are getting 11, 12 up to 25 KB/s speed. Then there are the lucky ones who are getting 145KB/s etc. I realize that with so many different routers and firewalls etc it would be difficult to put together a "manual" or "how to" that would cover all of the possibilities, but it sure would make me feel easier.

You mention firewall, and I am sure that my NAT firewall is active. I also believe that I have a Linux FedoraC4 firewall. When I ran this under windowsXPHome, my ZoneAlarm asked for approval of BitTorrent and I gave it. I recall no such action being required when I started the BitTorrent program under Linux. Do you have any info on where I might look into the Linux Firewall issue and if I need to configure my router NAT function in addition to the router port configuration I described above?

Thanks for you help.

FedoraCore4 is so much more stable than 3. I was running Folding @ Home while I was downloading and occasionally playing a game (KMahjongg) while BitTorrent was running. It seemd to have a 2% CPU usage factor due to BitTorrent. The folding@home was using everything it could get its hands on, but I had it throttled back to idle for 3 seconds out of 10. The system did not fail during the 39 + hours until 26 minutes short of completion. I rebooted and it picked right up.

Quote Originally Posted by stanmc
    I was watching the downloads on addresses near to mine, and many of us were getting really bad speeds.
    I also see people getting bad speeds. But since I can't know their configuration I tend to think it is more likely that they are doing something strange than that BT is to blame (I admit that I could be wrong on this though).

As to setup, I currently use a cheap Dlink 514 router. There are actually a number of negatives with this router and I do not recommend it, but I am using it because it is easy to lock down the local IP addresses, which I want for my FTP server. As for BitTorrent, the only thing I have done with the router setup is add BitTorrent as a "Special application" and set the port range 6880-6899 as both the triger and public port range to forward to the local IP address that triggers the transfer. I can see how I would want a more complex setup if I was going to use BitTorrent from more than one computer at once, but I never do that. I do on occasion however use BitTorrent from a different system than my normal download/seeding system, so using a "Special application" rather than just forwarding the ports works well for me.

I tried ZoneAlarm when it first came out, but never did like it. I use either Tiny Personal Firewall (the old 2.15 version) or Kerio. The system I did my Knoppix DVD download on is running Kerio. They are on the 4.x versions, but that has too many features to suit me, I liked the clean and simple version 2.1.4 and stayed with it. I believe that Kerio may no longer be available for freee download on the web as McAffee bought them out. With Kerio or TPF I just clicked a box twice to tell the firewall to create a rule when I first started BitTorrent and don't think I did anything after that. Basically I have two rules that say BitTorrent can send and receive TCP traffic on any port to any IP address. I could combine them into one rule, but other than that there isn't much to change.

I have not run BT from Linux. The last time that I looked the Knoppix disc still had an old 3.x versionon it. So I've only used the Windows version. I've lookat at a few other BT knockoffs, but I like the standard official distribution. I do browse the web from another computer and do other light traffic things at the same time and see no impact there. About the only time I shut down BT is when I play interactive games (I.e. Quake), and that only because it BT affects ping time and causes lag. I do throttle back BT uploads to a slow speed when I download newsgroup headers (again on a different computer), putting it back when I start newsgroup downloads. Since both are competing for the same download bandwidth this does impact downloading speeds for both, but it works out and is a better choice for me than trying to be sure to increase the speed or restart BT after the news downloads finish. The 24 our DVD download on the first day that I mentioned did include a few hours of reduced speed because of newsgroup downloads. And of course I'm not running any folding@home software on the downloading computer (it's a 300 mhz system that I'm dedicating to BT downloading and seeding and the occasional test software). I really wonder if the folding software may not have impacted you, even though I expect it has zero bandwidth impact, if it was running on the same system.

I started a test download just a few minutes ago after I started typing this. It, of course, started slow, first zero then 1kbps. But it's now at 67kbps and still seems to be gaining speed (I typicall see a hugh speed increase overnight if any download runs that long). I'm not going to let this run that long and impact others who really are trying to download the file, but it seems to be confirming my expectation that a typical system should download faster than you reported.

Just looked again after proofing and before hitting send. Download rate at 95k and still climbing.

I am using the rpm version for Linux supplied by the BitTorrent page. It is version 4.0.4-1. I had to get yum to update it so it would work. The GUI did not initially install. I found an interesting post in the SMC forum of BroadBandReports "www.broadbandreports.com" which gave a link showing how to make sure the iptables were properly set up to allow BitTorrent to use the ports 6881-6999. I am going to make sure I set this up for the next download. I can't wait for Knoppix 4.0.3 <grin>. My DVD is running beautifully. I had intended to use it for my laptop which has a DVD drive, but it is an ancient drive and can't initialize the DVD+R disc, but can definitely play DVD-ROM movies.

Slowly, but "surely" I am finding out how to do this. I do remember seeing speeds of 149KB/s when WindowsXP home was doing a BitTorrent download. The ports were defined similarly and the ZoneAlarm was set to allow the BitTorrent gui to work. I'm thinking that either my router's NAT or the iptables under Linux are possibly getting in the way.

Last I checked on my seeding progress I had uploaded 2.1GB. By some time tomorrow I will have sent out as much as I have received.

Senior Member registered user
    I took 39 hours and 40 minutes to download. My average download was 21.98KB/s
    I will strongly agree that it took just way too long for your download, if you have a speedy connection and all settings correct. I just "Fixed" two friend's setups that were experiencing similar slow download speeds. The clue to their problem was simply that there were all "Local" peers listed in the peer list. There were no "Remote" peers listed. That indicates a possible firewall or NAT configuration problem. It could also be that your ISP has limited bandwidth on known torrent ports. It may be legal or illegal depending on where you live. It may be an interpretation of US law that limiting speed/bandwidth on certain ports is not against the law, since the ports are technically open and not preventing torrent usage. I'm no lawyer, so I will not argue that point. I set the port for the torrent program to something other than the standard 6881-6889 range. I use something between 49152 through 65535. Follow the link below for the GRC.com portprobe and look at the information given about the port. Try not to use something that shows up as a common trojan or malware traffic port. You MUST configure your firewall to allow the torrent program to communicate. Both TCP AND UDP if using Azureus must be allowed. Same for the router settings. See notes about javaw.exe on the Azureus site.

If you are using Azureus, it contains a TEST program for your port setting. If using BitTorrent, I have been told that there are a few port test programs out there, although I have not used any. A google search may find one, but be careful about downloading and running any software that you don't know about. Spyware, malware, etc are rampant. I just look at the peer list in BitTorrent and if there are no "Remote" peers listed for some time, you might have a problem as I described above. You CAN downlaod at fairly high speeds with only "Local" peers, but it does not appear to work well for something as large as a DVD iso.

For some good reference, check the following links:

To Check for common Port Assignments: http://ports.tantalo.net/

More Port assignment info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_well-known_ports_(computing)

To check YOUR port on YOUR System, type the port number to test after the equal (=) sign in the following link:

https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=

For some information regarding port forwarding: http://www.portforward.com/

These links were found while troubleshooting Azureus for a friend. I don't like the program since it is a resource hog, runs on Java, and is crash prone. It does have a lot of bells and whistles, it's pretty, has flashy lights, but works no better than the original BitTorrent. They DO have a lot of good information on their site regarding set up that can be applied to many other BitTorrent programs. You might want to pay them a visit: http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

[quote="ckamin"]
    I will strongly agree that it took just way too long for your download, if you have a speedy connection and all settings correct. I just "Fixed" two friend's setups that were experiencing similar slow download speeds. The clue to their problem was simply that there were all "Local" peers listed in the peer list. There were no "Remote" peers listed. That indicates a possible firewall or NAT configuration problem.
    I have found this a very interesting project. There seems to be no single source of info on this sort of thing as there was when I programmed (poorly) in Cobol on IBM mainframes in the 60s and 70s. I stumbled on a resolution to my initial problem with BitTorrent in Linux by using a different program updater. When setting this up for Windows, I had to search for the port config for my router and then found one example that gave a screen image of the router pages listing the 6881-6889 assignments as well as the 6969 port. After I started my part of this thread I found a discussion/thread of iptables settings for BitTorrent. However, I also found a thread that said this was entirely unnecessary. Next DVD version of Knoppix I'm setting the iptables to the example shown in the thread proposing modifying the iptables and see if that speeds things up. That will allow me to explore the isue of firewall conflicts. I suppose I could set up the iptables and download or partially download the DE version of the Knoppix DVD.

In looking back on one of my other posts about this when I downloaded in WindowsXP I found that my speeds were higher. I remember that the install of BitTorrent went through easily and after invoking it by double clicking the torrent file, ZoneAlarm requested my permission to allow BitTorrent to access the internet. There was that problem with finding the router settings, but after that it was easy. Linux can sometimes be a bit more difficult if you are a casual user.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast