I just got a new Dell 9100 Desktop and was eager to try installing Knoppix. I have been using the CD on my old laptop but was not willing to risk losing my data (even with a backup). I had read all of the FAQs and forums prior to starting because I am new to Linux. The hard drive layout that came with the computer included SDA1 (fat16 configuration), SDA2 (ntsf Windows), SDA3 (Dell restore in fat32). I used qtparted to resize the ntsf partition into an ext3 partition. This worked without any problems. I then used the knoppix-installer from the root console. I selected to install on the ext3 partition (SDA4) and to put the bootloader into the MBR. The installation proceeded without any errors (to my knowlege). I rebooted without the Knoppix CD in, and my computer booted Windows normally. I was not given any choice about OS selection. I then re-installed and put the bootloader in the root partition, but was not able to get lilo or grub to work. I also tried using bootpart from Windows which did give me the selection of OS at bootup, but when I selected Linux it said that I needed to enter a system disk.

I would greatly appreciate any help. I know that Knoppix isn't designed for HD install, but I have tried other live CD's (SUSE, Ubuntu, Kanotix) and they don't work on my new computer (I'm guessing due to newer hardware). Thanks!