Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDM stops can not log on

Junior Member registered user

KDM stops can not log on

After installing to hdb and then doing update and then upgrade using Package Manager, KDM gets to "Installing peripherals" stops and the log on screen comes back. Keep going though this nonsense until I get tired of it. No wonder Linux is not popular, you need to be a geek to use it. Have installed, reinstalled versions 4.0 and 4.0.2, three times same results! Linux is not for the common user.

Senior Member registered user
    wheni updated me knoppix, it didnt work... i really dont know why, just dont update it... here are some other things

apt-get install gdm

apt-get install kde3
    or if you want
    apt-get install gnome

to get to these, well... login through a terminal... <--its like a dos thing, but better...

these should download the newest stable packages and install them... if not, just remove them and reinstall them... see that wasnt so easy...

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: KDM stops can not log on

Quote Originally Posted by siggy
    No wonder Linux is not popular, you need to be a geek to use it. .... Linux is not for the common user.
    Perhaps installing a distro of Linux that is actually intended to be installed to hard disk would make more sense.

For those who insist on installing Knoppix (intended as a Live CD) and have enough technical savy to work out the problems that will occur when you try to install it to a hard disk, good for them.

But for those who ignore the advice that Knoppix is a live CD and not really intended for installing to a hard disk, do so anyway, and then bash all of Linux because they were not able to make it work: I have no respect for you and your put down of Linux is shameful and cowardly. Linux certainly has it's problems, but a failure to install a Live CD that was never intended for install to hard disk is certainly not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    No wonder Linux is not popular, you need to be a geek to use it. .... Linux is not for the common user.
    Perhaps installing a distro of Linux that is actually intended to be installed to hard disk would make more sense.
    them.
    Was able to install to hard disk on version 3.9, however download version 3.9 again and the same thing happens with upgrade and update, NO LOG IN!

Quote Originally Posted by chris-harry
    wheni updated me knoppix, it didnt work... i really dont know why, just dont update it... here are some other things

apt-get install gdm

apt-get install kde3
    or if you want
    apt-get install gnome
    Tried apt-get indstall gdm, a bunch of files installed? Still unable to log on after. Tried apt-get install kde3, get E: no such package. Tried apt-get install kdm, bunch of files installed? Still unable to log on. I do not care for the gnome GUI

Was able to install to hard disk on version 3.9, however download version 3.9 again and the same thing happens with upgrade an update, NO LOG IN!
    Well, duh! Knoppix is well known to be made of several different versions of Debain and upgrading and updating, as well as just trying to install something else, often breaks it. These warnings have been all over this site and this wasn't your first post, so it's very likely that you had seen these warnings or at least should have if you were paying attention.

Senior Member registered user
    go over to www.debian.com and get the debian cd... i use debian, its hardish, but its still fun... you can install it strait from the internet with the use of a couple of boot floppies and an apt-get... i did this with me laptop... it works really well... or you can go over to Ubuntu www.ubuntulinux.org/, right now they are giving away free cds... so you dont need to download them... Ubuntu is really linux for those who are new to it... aka newbies... no offence... i am going to try that distro (once me cd gets to me...)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-harry
    go over to www.debian.com and get the debian cd... i use debian, its hardish, but its still fun... you can install it strait from the internet with the use of a couple of boot floppies and an apt-get... i did this with me laptop... it works really well... or you can go over to Ubuntu www.ubuntulinux.org/, right now they are giving away free cds... so you dont need to download them... Ubuntu is really linux for those who are new to it... aka newbies... no offence... i am going to try that distro (once me cd gets to me...)
    Yep,

Had Debian once and did the net install, took a long time even with a cable connection. Downloaded the net install iso again and will load it tomorrow. Tried UBuntu but could not find any amateur radio programs with it. Debian has a bunch of amateur radio programs one can install. And for kicks download the kubuntu iso as I prefer KDE GUI.

Downloaded the net install iso again and will load it tomorrow.
    I'm not crazy about the net install CD (although it's been a while since I tried it). I've used the first CD only of the install from CD set (everything else can be downloaded from the Internet just fine) and it works great. The CD downloaded fast (with BitTorrent) and makes for a great install. I like it a lot more than trying to instal "over the Internet" because there is less wait between questions and after the install I still have the CD, so I don't have to waste time and bandwidth downloading everything again if I want to install on another system or just reinstall a few times until the system is exactly what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Downloaded the net install iso again and will load it tomorrow.
    I'm not crazy about the net install CD (although it's been a while since I tried it). I've used the first CD only of the install from CD set (everything else can be downloaded from the Internet just fine) and it works great. The CD downloaded fast (with BitTorrent) and makes for a great install. I like it a lot more than trying to instal "over the Internet" because there is less wait between questions and after the install I still have the CD, so I don't have to waste time and bandwidth downloading everything again if I want to install on another system or just reinstall a few times until the system is exactly what I want.
    Really doesn't matter, I have more time than money, retired, no wheels so downloading off the net is not a big deal. Tomorrow is "clean the apartment day". HRA likes to pull surprise apatment inspections and can't let the crud get to deep. I'll keep an "eye" open for install file questions while installing and cleaning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast