Thread: Win32 Codecs for Knoppix - a few questions

Win32 Codecs for Knoppix - a few questions

Hello,

I'm rather new to Linux and have been playing around with Knoppix DVD 4.0.2 for a few weeks now. So far it is great but I do have a question regarding videos and such.

I am trying to get .wmv and other types of Windows Media files to play in the various players included in Knoppix. It would appear the Win32 codecs are not included in the lastest distro. I'm curious as to why, since I've found them for free on various Linux sites.

I've downloaded the codecs and got instructions on how to install them. One little snag. I can't exactly install them to a compressed DVD...without doing the whole re-mastering thing right? Is it possible to place Xine, Kaffiene, or another of those players on a Windows NTFS hard drive with all the needed codecs - then run it from inside of Knoppix?

Any ideas?

-Agamemnon_god

Senior Member registered user
    It would appear the Win32 codecs are not included in the lastest distro. I'm curious as to why, since I've found them for free on various Linux sites
    They are not free (free as in freedom) to be distributed. Quicktime, Windows Media & other codecs have less restrictive licenses as compared to most software but they are still not GPL compatible, so inclusion on a CD/DVD for distribution is most likely in violation of the codec's license.

I can't exactly install them to a compressed DVD...without doing the whole re-mastering thing right?
    Knoppix allows you to install new software on a live running system (running from a CD/DVD). You do not need to remaster in order to run new software since changes made (or software installed) is stored in the system's RAM. As soon as the system is shutdown or rebooted, then the changes made (or software installed) is lost.

Is it possible to place Xine, Kaffiene, or another of those players on a Windows NTFS hard drive with all the needed codecs - then run it from inside of Knoppix?
    Sure. Your method is a way of getting aaroung the lost changes. Store all the .DEBs, .TAR.GZs on a NTFS partition and install them at each bootup of Knoppix.

Member registered user

Re: Win32 Codecs for Knoppix - a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon_god
    Hello,

I'm rather new to Linux and have been playing around with Knoppix DVD 4.0.2 for a few weeks now. So far it is great but I do have a question regarding videos and such.

I am trying to get .wmv and other types of Windows Media files to play in the various players included in Knoppix. It would appear the Win32 codecs are not included in the lastest distro. I'm curious as to why, since I've found them for free on various Linux sites.

I've downloaded the codecs and got instructions on how to install them. One little snag. I can't exactly install them to a compressed DVD...without doing the whole re-mastering thing right? Is it possible to place Xine, Kaffiene, or another of those players on a Windows NTFS hard drive with all the needed codecs - then run it from inside of Knoppix?

Any ideas?
    Go here (read it first). I just figured it out:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16133