Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Vaio Hang on PCMCIA detect

Sony Vaio Hang on PCMCIA detect

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FS115Z, when I boot from a Knoppix CD-LIVE hang when detect the PCMCIA, I try with the interactive boot and disable the autodetect HW, and turn off the PCMCIA using the parameter, booting in failsafe but allways hang detecting the PCMCIA, what can I do? Thanks!

Senior Member registered user

Re: Sony Vaio Hang on PCMCIA detect

Quote Originally Posted by Joan_net
    I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FS115Z, when I boot from a Knoppix CD-LIVE hang when detect the PCMCIA, I try with the interactive boot and disable the autodetect HW, and turn off the PCMCIA using the parameter, booting in failsafe but allways hang detecting the PCMCIA, what can I do? Thanks!
    Welcome to Knoppix.net

What version of Knoppix are you using? Exactly what boot commands did you try? Please list them.

Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

I have exactly the same problem with a vaio FS195VP

on which boot method i used.. I really don't know.. i'm a complete n00b to linux i'm just trying it out for the very first time.. So i burned the english iso put in the cd and all went well until something as crdmngr was loaded for my pcmcia device.

I really hope someone can help me out since I can't wait to start using linux seriously.

Regards

daniel fortuyn
    holland
    maastricht

Senior Member registered user
    Welcome to Knoppix.net. We hope that you enjoy your use of Knoppix and hope you become an active member of the community. There's no membership fee. We just ask that you help us and others by becoming familiar with Knoppix, posting questions, and letting the rest of us know how things go.

Quote Originally Posted by dfortuyn
    I really hope someone can help me out since I can't wait to start using linux seriously.
    Some questions:
    - What version of Knoppix are you using?
    - Have you looked at the Tips&Tricks section of the Cheatcodes page?
    - If yes, what boot options did you try and how far did you get in the boot process?
    - Are you getting any error messages and, if yes, what exactly do they say?

Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

I'm not completly sure which version i use i think it's version 3.8.2 english. I guess i just give an enter as boot command.. but you probably mean something else but i don't really know what you mean...

I didn't check these pages out in particular but i've googled a couple of times which led me to this site.

On the error messages: It doesnt give any error message after loading usb devices etc. It detects pcmcia slot and when it tries to load drivers for it the vaio just freezes, In the mean time i've tried the disc on another computer and it worked there... however i can't acces internet.. it says that there isnt any network card. So i figure i have to get linux drivers for my nic.

And could you reccommend me a site where i can ask some more general linux question because i have the idea that there a lot of different types and i do not know which suites my wishes the best.

gr

Daniel

I have a VGN-FS660, and experience the same problem. It hangs right after it says its detecting PCMCIA - no errors, just completely freezes.

I can boot and everything works fine with 'knoppix nopcmcia', althought I still am tring to figure out how to make it realize my laptop has a wide screen, I try 'knoppix nopcmcia screen=1280x800', but it still comes up 1024x768.

Would be nice if someone could help figure out what is causing the pcmcia hang, I'd like to be able to use a pcmcia network card, the built-in one sucks.

EDIT: I am using the 4.0.2 DVD downloaded via BitTorrent

Guys, i think i've found out what the problem is...

but someone has to confirm it because it's just a vague idea of what it could be.. i read somewhere on the net that linux has a problem with IPW2200 wifi cards.. could this be the problem because i have a 2200bg card and i think they are somehow related

Sony Vaio VGN-SZ38GP halt during boot knoppix

i encountered the same problem also, the system simply halt in cardmgr. I can only boot with "knoppix acpi=off|noapic|pci=bios" in the boot prompt option; else the screen freezed. My booted CD version is Knoppix 3.9. Any clues how to resolve this problem ?

thanks

Hi All,
    I don't know if any of you guys got this sorted or not as it was quite a while ago but I had the same problem. Knoppix would get to cardmgr. and just freeze. The work around (if booting from the live CD) for me was to give the command: knoppix nopcmcia at the very first boot screen BEFORE you hit enter to start the boot from CD. Hope this helps and I can't take any credit for this as it was someone else who worked out the problem and I'm just relaying their instructions. Works like a charm though.

Cheers.

I had the same exact problem with my hp dv5000 series laptop the only way I got it to boot was when the Knoppix 5.1.1 Boot screen came up was to press f3 for more options and on the disable specific hardware type "knoppix nopcmcia" and remember everything in Knoppix is case sensetive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast