Thread: A Radical Proposal

Senior Member registered user

A Radical Proposal

The time for any reason to install Knoppix to a HD has past.

There are better distros out there for HD install purposes.

Yes I have it installed on my HD. But that was when it was dual kernel. I figured if I couldn't get one kernel to work, I'd use the other one. It was an experiment that happened to work. Thank goodness.

They reasons to install Knoppix to a HD have diminished with time and continue to do so.

Anyway, here is my proposal. Change the HD install section to totally unmoderated. A totally unoffical section.

This section would be supported solely by those who have done a HD install and wish to help others with it.

In other words, you're on your own. If a small number of HD installed folks wish to help out in that section they would be free to do so. I would probably be one of them.

This would free up the official moderators to help other folks with Knoppix Live CD problems.

Putting on my asbestos flame retardant suit before I post this.

sakiZ

Administrator Site Admin-
    A totally unmoderated forum might as well have the forum name be "Post your Spam here".

Be comforted that the moderators don't spend too much time trying to help people in the HDD install forum. I mostly just keep my eyes alert for spam or for the rare user who does ask an inteligent question, but generally find that it is frequented by people who have been asking the same "why did this work from CD but not after install to the hard disk" questions for the last three years and prefer to speculate if they have a bad download or not rather than actually do the md5 check and know for sure. Moderators certainly don't have to frequent the forum if they choose not to (it's not like we have any guidelines on how much we have to contribute or are actually getting compensated for this), and moderators frequently scan the forums and contribute as users, not as moderators. I enjoy sharing the wisdom of the great philosophers Mr. T and Nelson with those who think a hard disk install of Knoppix is a good idea, why take that away from me?

If anything, as you said, there is no good reason to try to force Knoppix to install to hard disk any more, the Debian installer has matured a lot since this thing that never quite worked right was put in Knoppix. If the site were to do anything different I would suggest that it close the forum all together, with the final post being one advising people not to install Knoppix. Not that I think people shouldn't be allowed to hurt themselves in this way if they choose to or to post their surprise that a hard disk install has exactly the same problems that it has had for three years, but rather because the existance of a HDD Install forum seems to keep encouraging more new users into the same foolishness.

well I couldnt get ubuntu to install but Knoppix works great so i did install to a linux partition that was already set up

whats really the downside to using knoppix on a hard drive install? everything works fine as far as i can tell

Quote Originally Posted by newuser111
    well I couldnt get ubuntu to install but Knoppix works great so i did install to a linux partition that was already set up

whats really the downside to using knoppix on a hard drive install? everything works fine as far as i can tell
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/HD_Insta...g_not_to_do_it
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93889
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87187
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20369
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21804
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21936

Member registered user

I will help...

In my own way, I plan to help on this. Yes, the general attitude here is only dummies would think of installing Knoppix on a HD.

The problem is the Web is filled with propaganda urging everyone to try a Live CD, and if they like it, they can then install it.

Guess which distro is most commonly suggested?

Don't worry. I plan on helping in my own way by telllng everyone at every opporunity that right here on the official Knoppix.net it is said Knoppix sucks, I think that is a fair translation whether or not you mean it that way.

Further, that attempts to install it are met with insults and failure to help even with simple and obvious problems.

Of course, that means the real problem is not with Knoppix itself but the forum regulars and leaders.

So, I will also recommend that those who wish to install go to a real Linux help forum when they have troubles.

The real downside in my opinion is many Knoppix users are using Knoppix, due to wide publicity, as a first contact with Linux, and if it is that bad, coupled with surly and rude responses here, will certainly drive folks away in large numbers.

If you guys are right, the correct answer is to shut down this forum, and replace it with a message that Knoppix is worthless, and include links to Kanotix and other choices.

No, nobody says 'Knoppix sucks'. Knoppix is optimised for use as Live Linux and if you install it on hdd there are problems. Yes - there are other Live Linux's, almost WYSYWYG - you try it and if you like it, after instalation on hdd it is almost 100% as it was in Live mode. Knoppix is not made this way, that's all.

@newuser111:"whats really the downside to using knoppix on a hard drive install? everything works fine as far as i can tell" - This is true until you install some aplication or change something other way, than problems begin.