Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie cant network

Newbie cant network

Ok, switching to Linux. DL'd Knoppix 3.8 and after a few months finally found out how .ISO files work. Got the CD made and booted off it, fiddled around and am pleased to say that Knoppix rocks. Only thing wrong is that im a bit lost and cant figure out how to network it.

Can someone please help me dry off these wet feet a bit. Internet -> Modem -> WinXP PC acting as a server -> My computer with Knoppix 3.8.

Senior Member registered user
    DL'd Knoppix 3.8 and after a few months finally found out how .ISO files work.
    Sorry, I don't believe you. It is more than obvious that you are perfectly sane and intelligent person. Than why do you need "few months" to understand a simple explanation such this one http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Download...o_be_burned.3F ?

lol, ya. I never bothered finding out how .ISO files worked before now. I know that they were image files but had no need for them. I keep getting hounded by everyone to switch to Linux because its supposedly so much better than Windows. So I got a dist of RedHat 6 off a friend and tried it but it was so unstable and wouldnt even install. A short time after, I got a copy of Knoppix of my cousin but it was also unstable and half the time didnt even boot. That discouraged me somewhat so I gave up. A few months ago we decided to try again and tried to download a version of linux of the linux.org site. Not knowing anything about Linux we were confused by all the distributions so we tried downloading redhat and Knoppix again. I left it up to my Fiancee to get them and since she didnt know anything about .ISO files or .md5 files either, she just burnt the lot to a cd and tried to boot off it, needless to say that it didnt work. I assumed that she had doen the right thing with it and tried out my redhat 6 CD again on a spare computer. Thats when I found out that My redhat 6 was a console os. This got me really discouraged since the console provided little help for the noob. Recently I was looking back through the files on my computer and found that Knoppix that she downloaded and decided to try downloading it again so I started the download of v4.0.2 but stopped it shortly after I realized her mistake with the .ISO file. I then created a CD from the .ISO file and booted up. To my supprise it worked great but now I cant get on the bloody net let allone access the rest of our network and so im getting discouraged again. So I came in here to find some help.

HELP ME PLEASE BEFORE I SHOOT MYSELF!!

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Newbie cant network

Quote Originally Posted by Stuperfied
    DL'd Knoppix 3.8 and after a few months finally found out .....
    Boy, took a while to find that info, eh?

As to the network issue, Windows connection sharing (which seems to be what you are trying to use) isn't the greatest. Tell us about that modem; just what type of modem is it? If it's a high speed modem, cable or DSL, have you ever heard of routers? Some newer modems even have a router built in, but if not they have become dirt cheap and will resolve the problem for you if you are not talking about a dial up connection (and there are even a few routers that will support a dial-up modem).

Its a DSL 200.
    I have the following setup and cant really do anything about it so I need to work with ICS.
    Internet -> Internet IP (***.***.***.***) -> Modem DSL 200 -> 533MHz PC with WinXP acting as a file/web server, XP default Firewall/ICS, Bridged network to 2 network cards (192.168.*.*/255.255.255.0 range, mshome is the workgroup) -> My computer with Knoppix and my fiancee's computer with WinXP.

Any idea how I access mshome with my Knoppix?

Its a DSL 200.
    A crappy USB modem? You're screwed!

I have the following setup and cant really do anything about it so I need to work with ICS.
    Any idea how I access mshome with my Knoppix?
    I'm not clear what "cant really do anything about it" means, but I'll let you in on a well kept secret - Microsoft doesn't really like Linux. Lots of people have reported here problems with ICS and Linux, enough to make one suspect that Microsoft might be abusing their monopoly position (again). There should be a couple of search tools on this page, you can try using them and the term ICS to see if anyone has resolved this already, but I have low expectations.

So im wasting my time with linux then?

So im wasting my time with linux then?
    I guess it all depends on how you look at it. If you haven't done the simple search I mentioned and are expecting someone else to do it for you and type out what they learn, then yes, I would say you are wasting your time, and maybe others time too.

If you are dead set on getting connection sharing working then all of the tools are available to you; if someone else hasn't already done it that shouldn't stop you, if you are willing to put in the work.

If you consider yourself locked into that awful USB modem and just will not consider any alternatives then I can't help in that area. I knew better from the start when I got DSL and insisted that I get an exteranl ethernet modem, not the USB modems and not the PCI card modems that my ISP was insisting I take, since I knew either would lock me into Microsoft and would not allow me to protect my system properly with a hardware firewall. But if my ethernet modem went up in smoke today I wouldn't have much trouble locating at least 3 unused eiternet DSL modems that friend have collecting dust because they switched to higher speed cable service. Amybe you have friends too would could help you out. If you want to consider yourself locked into that modem then deal with the connection issue or just use Linux in an off-line mode, otherwise consider that there may be ways to deal with the modem. And while I know I could get my hands on 3 used DSL modems free, I doubt I would have to: If mine went up in smoke I would call my ISP and tell them I need another modem. They would tell me flat out that I would have to buy one. I would tell them to look at how much I spent with them over the last 6 years and if I didn't get a replacement my next modem would be a cable modem; I have little doubt I would receive a replacement ethernet modem, much as I got the first one by insisting on it.

I dont have any money to buy any new hardware, it was hard enough to get what we have and I didnt forsee this problem since I know nothing about Linux as I stated in the first place. I have searched the database on these forums and found nothing that could help. I have however been searching then net extensively and found some sites that offer some helpfull hints. I have just learned how to ping in linux and have attempted to ping 192.168.0.1 which is my xp server obviously but it said that the network couldnt be found. Thats what im up to, so as you can see, im not expecting anyone to do the work for me. Im simply asking if anyone knows off the top of their head and can save me hrs of net time and ripping out my hair. Obviously you have not got the epertise to help otherwise you would have offered the answer immediately. Thankyou anyway.

If anyone else can help, I would be extremely greatefull, im working with programs that ive only just learned the name of.

No, I can't help with ICS, although I have seen it discussed here many times and would certainly do the search if I was going to try it. At to the ping, that's a different issue. The network can't be found is a bigger problem than the XP system just not responding (which may happen too if it ha a software firewall running). Maybe Knoppix isn't recognizing your network interface, more likely the interface isn't configured by DHCP from the XP system as one would expect. Try the ifconfig command to see what you can learn about the network interface, and try netcardconfig to either set up the card by dhcp or to manually set in the network settings that you need and then try the ping again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast