Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with the screen resolution on a Dell PC

Junior Member registered user

Problems with the screen resolution on a Dell PC

Hi,
    I've already posted this same message to the Kanotix forum, but
    I had not yet received an answer and I need it rather soon.

I've just received 10 new Dell OptiPlex 170L for a PC classroom. I've
    to settle a dual boot system with Windows/Linux and, for this purpose,
    I want to install Kanotix over their HD.

For the time being, I've just run Kanotix 2005.3 from the CD. The
    system starts without any problem until the KDE desktop appears on the
    screen, but then everything looks HUGE.
    I guess it adopts the 800x600 resolution. I tried a few of times to
    boot the system with a different resolution (by changing the boot
    options from GRUB), but the results was always the same.
    BTW, I tried also with Knoppix 4.0.2, still the same result.
    On the other hand, I tried also with the last release candidate for
    Ubuntu 5.10 and the final resolution on the screen was fine.

What I have to do?
    In order to help you in giving me some hints, I add at the end of this
    e-mail the file xorg.conf as generated by Ubuntu. Let me know if you
    need something else.

Please, don't let me migrate to Ubuntu or Kubuntu or Gnoppix, I really
    don't want to do it: I should add a lot of software after the HD
    install and I've prepared some notes for the students about working at
    home with Knoppix...

Many thanks in advance for your help,
    ciao,
    Ugo

P.S. The content of the file xorg.conf (sorry for the length):

# /etc/X11/xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the /etc/X11/xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man /etc/X11/xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following commands:
    #
    # cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.custom
    # sudo sh -c 'md5sum /etc/X11/xorg.conf >/var/lib/xfree86/xorg.conf.md5sum'
    # sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Section "Files"
    FontPath "unix/:7100" # local font server
    # if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/CID"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi"
    FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi"
    # paths to defoma fonts
    FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
    FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "GLcore"
    Load "bitmap"
    Load "ddc"
    Load "dri"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx"
    Load "int10"
    Load "type1"
    Load "vbe"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Device"
    Driver "i810"
    BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "DELL E173FP"
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Device"
    Monitor "DELL E173FP"
    DefaultDepth 16
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 1
    Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 4
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen "Default Screen"
    InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
    InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
    EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

I too have Dells and have not figured out how to get the i810 chipset working. The default is VGA. No amount of XF86Configuring has worked. There must be a lot of people out there with Dell computers with the Intel motherboard. I'll keep working on it but there must be others with this same question

Junior Member registered user
    Dear all,
    the solution has been more or less found by using Kanotix, see the web page
    http://kanotix.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-11888.html
    I'm sure the same should work also with Knoppix.

Ciao,
    Ugo

Screen Resolution Problems

After trying many of these Live CD runarounds on Dell comuters and HP computers, I am convinced that some have it and some don't. Unlike the "developers" of these things, I don't want to make a career commitment to get them to run. I am just looking for a solution that works. Ubuntu works; XFLD works, and I consider it very neat; SLAX can be made to work pretty easily, and they have some nice tools; using the tools from SLAX, Wolvix and Mymyah can be made to work.

Knoppix is a total insult! The problem with these things is in the xorg.config file. I know how to fix that for my setup. Knoppix friendly tip is to boot with knoppix 2, and then fix your config file with XF86Config-4. Go ahead and try that marvelous tip and you will receive "Access Denied"!

They have locked me out of CHANGING A MEMORY FILE! If their quality control is that poor, I just throw that ISO in the can and say well I wasted a little time!

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by davejay
    After trying many of these Live CD runarounds on Dell comuters and HP computers
    Looks like you have not yet found a solution in Knoppix that works for you? Maybe it is the budget (cheap) hardware you are trying it on. Dells and HPs are notorious for budget graphics and numerous display issues, especially in notebooks. Resolution and display errors can often be caused by insufficient graphics memory, improper driver selection, improper bios settings (Video Memory especially), the need of a Bios Update, etc. It sometimes takes a little experimentation to find a solution. That's the challenge of running an alternate OS.

I don't want to make a career commitment to get them to run.
    Then you might want to go back to windows?

Knoppix is a total insult!
    Just because YOU don't know how to make it work, doesn't mean Knoppix or any other distro is a bust! There are people out there that need to have their hands held to accomplish most simple tasks in life. That's why tech support people will ask "Is it plugged in? Is it turned on?" and so forth. So if it "Insults" you by not holding your hand, go out and get a puppy......No Wait.....Better not get something alive that you would have to care for or spend time with! Maybe a "Pet Rock?"

If their quality control is that poor, I just throw that ISO in the can and say well I wasted a little time!
    AND exactly what were you expecting for NOTHING? Mine works fine and I paid about the same as you did, unless you "Bought" a disk. I just spent a little time to learn how to make it work without blaming someone else for my ignorance! I have been able to get Knoppix to work on EVERY system I have tried it on. Some have different issues and some have none, it takes perseverance and some intelligence to get them working. Sometimes there might be an issue that requires some extra effort, a workaround, or sometimes it requires a wait for a bug fix. I see many success stories and people that have found solutions to their dilemmas. I have also seen people give up and become frustrated because they do not have the patience and ability to make something work. I guess you can give up and not learn anything useful. I also suppose you can try to blame it on something/someone other than yourself. What distro have YOU produced recently?

Screen Resolution Problems

Wow, I didn't want to start a fist fight! I just call em like I see em. You probably know more than I do about Knoppix. As far as the hardware I use for this test, you can take this up with the manufacturers if you have issues.

The only thing I do know is that I visit several forums, and there are many people who can't get your product to perform on their hardware. I don't give a Flying Wollenda what you can get to run on all your hardware! I don't think you give the same for anyone who can't come up to your high standards in hardware or system expurtoose!

If Knoppix is the King of the Live CD - why am I wrong in saying "Hey, the King has no clothes!".

Microsoft is the King of the desktop, and with good reason. It is simply a better solution. Linux, in the right hands is a very good solution, and I think I stated that in my first post. The problem here is that your version has issues. I didn't start this subject in the forum - it has been hanging here for weeks with no real help from you! And despite your claimed system knowledge, I doubt that any will be forthcoming. If you are in denial about the problem, I don't think you can really put your heart into solving it.

I happen to know that the problem is that Knoppix sets the screen resolution outside the boundaries of the system monitor. In my case, that is a Hitachi Super Scan (Multiscan) 21" monitor. Ubuntu picks it up just fine. XFLD - a superior distribution - just sails with it. But Knoppix, whether you set Vsync, Hsync at boot or follow the tip to use Xorgconfig in text mode, just flat thumbs it's nose at you! And from reading your reply, I see where it got that idea!

The poor people who posted before me are still waiting to hear something positive. As for me, I"m moving on with my life - as inferior as that may be!

You probably know more than I do about Knoppix
    Maybe not. I just poke around and see what's what. I might have spent more TIME getting it working than you have. Well, maybe not more time, but maybe more effort. I've learned a little bit about Linux in the last decade or so.

As far as the hardware I use for this test, you can take this up with the manufacturers if you have issues
    I'm not having issues with the hardware. Mine works just fine for me, once I get it working with what I wish it to work with. YOU are the one that posted YOU were having problems with it. Dell has pretty decent support, but not much for Linux. Support is almost non-existant for HP. Just try to find a Bios update for a two or three year old system. OR Drivers for that matter! Try to get Windows working again on some HPs without driver support and you will appreciate how well Linux will configure and run on them. It is the bargain systems with integrated graphics that seems to be the issue here. You get what you pay for in that regard. Sometimes it's just a matter of installing a dedicated graphics adaptor with enough memory to make things work right. The "Stock" graphics in these machines don't even do Windows well and there are many programs that choke on that lack of video capability in Windows as well. Try running Windows XP on 1Meg of Video Ram! It just starts to work on 8Meg and that appears to be the issue that the original poster had with Knoppix. I don't berate something just because it isn't a "One-Size-Fits-All" that works on anything without a little configuration or tweaking on occasion.

The only thing I do know is that I visit several forums, and there are many people who can't get your product to perform on their hardware.
    You give me much too much credit. It's NOT MY product. If it was, I wouldn't be spending my time lurking in forums looking for answers or to provide them. I'd be working to further develop the distro and iron out the bugs. I would have to do this AFTER working for a living, since nobody seems to "Pay" for a "Free" distro, if I wanted to eat and support a family. There is continuous development for much of the Linux distros. As for anyone not being able to get Knoppix working, it sometimes takes a little time and effort. That is more effort than some people are willing to give. Knoppix works on most systems, without any configuration issues at all. If you read the forums, you probably WON'T hear from the many people using it WITHOUT any problems at all. Of COURSE you WILL see people in the forums WITH issues. It's the wrong cross-section of users to judge any distro by. You will notice that most people get replies and most often good solutions in this forum. It's active and there are many dedicated people that participate here. Most with skill levels much more advanced than mine. If you might have read what the original poster had said, it looks like his issue may be resolved. Just think that he might actually be working with Knoppix WITHOUT any special configurations. All he might have needed was a Bios tweak to increase Video Memory Share. You know how Windows will limit the available resolutions when Graphics Capability is limited? Then again, Maybe you don't, but Anyway....Same applies for most Linux Distros. Some might need a little more than others. There are just not too many systems that are supplied with less than 8Meg of Video Ram these days, except maybe a PDA or Cell Phone. I even run Linux on a laptop with 4 Meg of VRam without too many issues. I just don't expect to get 1600X1200 32 bit graphics with it. I do get 800X600, and that is what the LCD native resolution is, so it works just fine. I just don't EXPECT ANY version of Linux to perform well with anything less.

I don't give a Flying Wollenda what you can get to run on all your hardware! I don't think you give the same for anyone who can't come up to your high standards in hardware or system expurtoose!
    I don't have high standards for hardware OR users. I DO however, have a problem with people who berate something that cost them nothing and will not spend the time or effort to try to figure out a solution, or at least make a SOLID attempt before giving up and badmouthing something because of their failure. I have absolutely no problem with a rank newbie trying to get something to work and asking questions. I do have an issue with people that won't try, or make like it's something that is wrong with the software and not something THEY might have overlooked, or a limitation of what they are trying to use it on, OR the limitations of the person trying to use it. There is nothing wrong with having limited technical expertise or not having cutting edge hardware. There IS something wrong with expecting something to work flawlessly on ALL hardware and require ABSOLUTELY NO configuration on their part to make it so. After all, I have this pristine i286 system and am LIVID that Windows XP will not run on it. it has about a full Meg of system memory and about 128K for graphics! It WAS CUTTING EDGE at one time! Does that mean Windows XP is at fault and I that have every right to expect it to work on a museum piece? Maybe it has something to do with my expectations?

If Knoppix is the King of the Live CD - why am I wrong in saying "Hey, the King has no clothes!".
    You are certainly entitled to YOUR opinion. Especially if you live in the US. Just remember that Opinions are like Anal Sphincters, everyone has one. It's like I said, Knoppix worked on everything I have tried it on. I'm pleased with it and it certainly is just unfortunate that you have not yet found "Happiness and Joy"! I would just like to see where it is that "I" claimed that Knoppix was the "King" of Live CDs. I use the DVD version the most these days and THAT DVD is rather amazing for what it is. I'm sure there are many more people using Knoppix successfully than there are people that have not been able to make it work with an honest effort or no effort at all. It does not always require that much technical expertise. Once you get past the download and disk creation, it's mostly done! I use many other Linux distros besides Knoppix. Knoppix is versatile and has worked well for me for what I have used it for. It's a good option for a live disk, if one is willing to put forth the effort to make the disk and get it to work. I just don't go around trying to dress optical disks in clothes. I haven't found any other people that do it either. They work much better without them. If that makes your statement correct, then maybe it is.

Microsoft is the King of the desktop, and with good reason.
    See my note on opinions above. Add to that: Just think how much better Knoppix, or Linux, could be if they CHARGED (extorted from) everyone that used it a few hundred dollars? Then someone might have the resources to really develop Linux into something as "bug free", cough/hack, as Windows without having to work at a real job to feed the family! AND just Think about it! You can even CHARGE people for an UPDATE! All you have to do is make it look a little different, call it a "NEW" version and the money will just roll in. You don't even have to FIX anything! Just why do I spend a lot of my time "Fixing" Windows issues for people AND get PAID to do it? It's popular and many people just have problems with it. Some is self inflicted and much of it because of Micro$oft's inability to fix it, or make it more secure by default. I end up configuring security and giving instructions on what NOT to do for much of the time. I don't see many of them using Linux, until I leave them a "Live" disk of some sort to try out. Knoppix is one of the most popular, but there actually ARE others. I play with at least a half dozen or so on a regular basis and a few others on occasion. Imagine that! Just look in this forum for all of the Windows users seeking answers on "how-to-fix-Windows-with-Knoppix" and you'll see that they are in need of help. Why don't they go to the MS forums? Are they THAT desperate that they would dare use something like Knoppix to fix the almighty Windows system? Usually Windows is hosed, won't boot, and their NTFS file system doesn't play well with others, so their files are at risk. There are better things to use on broken Windows machines, but Knoppix or other live distro can do a good job of recovering data for them. For a list of better things to use on a broken Windows machine, if you don't care about the data, start at www.homedepot.com and look for BIG hammers. Use your imagination from there on. OR, you could just load some of that "Free" Linux stuff on it and forget the hammers and other implements of deconstruction and actually have a system that works!

The problem here is that your version has issues.
    Mine works just fine for me!

I didn't start this subject in the forum - it has been hanging here for weeks with no real help from you! And despite your claimed system knowledge, I doubt that any will be forthcoming. If you are in denial about the problem, I don't think you can really put your heart into solving it.
    If you look REAL close at the posters first post, he is trying to install Kanotix or Knoppix onto the hard drive. Installing a live distro (Knoppix) onto the hard drive is something it was not intended for. He was also asking for solutions to Kanotix issues as well, which should be posted in the Kanotix forum, which he had the intelligence to do. His issue was supposedly solved. There is little more that anyone will be able to do for him in that regard. AND just where did I make any claim to have the ultimate in knowledge and expertise? I just have a good amount of experience with PCs. There is absolutely no denial on my part, since there is no catastrophic failure of anything for me with regard to Knoppix. Like I said before, it works just fine for me and it does what I have expected it to do, most of the time. I have no problem helping others either. It's just not my "job" to provide everyone with every answer in every post. I'm not paid to do it and I do have a life outside forums. I provide help when I encounter someone I can help, on occasion. I don't sit at my computer just waiting for someone to post. If I see something interesting while browsing, I respond. Just like many other participants in almost all of the forums I have been through or participate in. My heart seems to be in the right place and has been, long enough for me to survive past childhood and puberty.

I did not see you offer any solutions either. Since you claim to know what the "Problem" is, what is the "Solution" for the original poster? All I saw from you was some criticism and complaints that were not pertinent to the subject or original concern. If you are not part of the solution, then you just might be part of the problem. That problem includes People that just need to complain for the sake of complaining. I did not post here to offer a solution for the original poster, since he claims to have found his "nirvana" and did so BEFORE your post. I posted because someone (davejay) decided to post some flack about how knoppix is lacking and offered no solution for the original poster. This would not be the appropriate heading for such a post in the first place. Post your negativity somewhere else where someone might expect it to be and NOT just anywhere you think your opinion should be heard. It's inappropriate and might result in stern or negative responses from other forum participants. It's like General Custer making Indian jokes while they had him surounded. Not a good idea and highly inappropriate. If you need to rant and put your opinions to text, then do that under the "lounge" topic heading. It might be a welcome discussion there or maybe not, but it would be in the appropriate area for rants, opinions, and such. Nobody needs your negative input in areas that do not support it or were not intended for it. I'm sorry that there isn't a "Whining" section here for you, but you might send a note to the site admin and suggest one. I'm sure he will drop everything to provide that just for you. Maybe you just need to stick with your beloved Windows since it is the utmost in operating systems. I just don't understand why someone with Windows would be poking around with Linux of ANY sort. Unless, there is something LACKING in Windows or someone might just wonder if there wasn't something else out there instead. Maybe something that is even FREE! Imagine that!

I happen to know that the problem is that Knoppix sets the screen resolution outside the boundaries of the system monitor. In my case, that is a Hitachi Super Scan (Multiscan) 21" monitor. Ubuntu picks it up just fine. XFLD - a superior distribution - just sails with it. But Knoppix, whether you set Vsync, Hsync at boot or follow the tip to use Xorgconfig in text mode, just flat thumbs it's nose at you! And from reading your reply, I see where it got that idea!
    BUT....What IS the solution for the original poster? Did you read his last post or go to the link he provided. Did you not read that he claims to have found a solution that does not seem to agree with the solution that you have, so thoughtfully, NOT provided here? Or even the SUGGESTION for him to follow that you have not yet posted? Did I miss the information that you failed to provide here for him? If you have a solution, simply provide it, explain it, and hope it helps. If you just want to whine, post it under the proper category. Maybe you should just continue to use Windows and Ubuntu with all the success they have given you and stop trying to make anything else work. You stated that you did not want to make a career commitment making something work, so maybe you should just pack it in and call it a day with Knoppix if it is too much trouble. OR maybe you should just create your own distro from scratch and see how difficult it is and appreciate the efforts of people who do this so that others may benefit from it. There are so many great Linux distros out there to worry about how BAD one of them might be. You never know, the next version of Knoppix might be better and become more palatable for you. Until then, use something else and don't worry about people using Knoppix. I'm sure they will survive without your lack of support. Heck, I'm even sure a few of them might even get it to work!

The poor people who posted before me are still waiting to hear something positive.
    My point EXACTLY! That's why I questioned your negative input offering no solution(s). Well, some might still be waiting except for the original poster who claims to have resolved his Kanotix issue using the Kanotix forum.

As for me, I"m moving on with my life - as inferior as that may be!
    It's all about "Opinions". Look for my quip about that above. I never called you inferior. If I made you feel that way, it is entirely unintentional. There is no "FistFight" as you claimed there is. I found your negative post, offering no solutions, inappropriate, when posted under this subject heading, to say the least. If you have some sort of a complex and need to get on with your life, you should do that. Spend your time being productive and if you feel the need to post, do so offering solutions or by seeking valid answers and not posting just for the sake of whining.

To change the resolution in Knoppix, open a terminal (as root) and type in the command 'kxconfig' and press enter. In the next screen several screen adjustments can be made. Afterwards save your config. and restart Knoppix.

Still no Work

I love those quick concise answers, especialy when they DON'T WORK! Kxconfig is a cruel joke, in which the user answers a question or two, and then Knoppix automatically roars off into an insane flashing of the screen, and accomplishes nothing! Remember, Knoppix is a live CD. You can't save anything, and then restart Knoppix.

In poking around more, I found a renamed xorgconfig, which again is a lot of fun. It appears to work like other distributions, but after saving the new xorg.config and restarting X, Knoppix crashes!

Why is it that Ubuntu Live CD, allegedly based on the same Debian base, just works like a charm - and Knoppix refuses to budge?

Nothing has changed. There are still a bunch of folks out there who have given up on this product.

Solution

I experienced this exact same problem. Knoppix will not do more than 640x480 resolution. The answer seems to be in the bios. By default for some reason the video buffer is only 1 MB.

Go into the bios on the post startup screen by pressing F2

Open the integrated Devices menu.

Set the Primary Video Controller to OnBoard and the Onboard Video Buffer to 8 MB.

That fixed it for me.

Let me know if that helped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast