Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convinced

Convinced

Hi everyone, having read this thread http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19169 i am determined to purchase the 8 gig disc and apply as much learning time as i can, i come here with the intention of absorbing as much knowledge from you guys as is possible without being a pain in the ass, i hope to pick your brains with sensible questions if i cannot resource the info myself, i hope you will take me on as your student and you all become my mentors, my intention is to learn Linux basics and hopefully move onto Centos and onto a career in sever admin etc,
    well thats my intro and heres my first Q
    Where the F$%^ do i start
    Regards
    Op

Administrator Site Admin-
    I have no idea what 8 gig disc you intend to purchase, but my advice is to download the ISO, burn your own copy, and learn from that. If you don't have a DVD burner, then download the 4.0.2 CD and learn from that; there is more than enough to pick up before you go after the DVD. You might even wise up and decide to install Debian rather than fool with trying to install a Knoppix disc, and then having a DVD will not matter, you can download all of the applications and more right from the Debian website with the Debian package mnager. But a good place to start is downloading and learning to burn the ISO.

I'm not a fan of buying the disc. In addition to likely getting a marginal disc burnt at a high speed, there are plenty of reports of people who send in the money and get nothing at all.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Thank you H.K. i was refereing to this
    http://www.cheeplinux.com/product_in...22fc18f31ce71e
    i thought it would be a good place to begin, if not could you direct me to the iso or cd and instructions please?
    Regards
    Op
    EDIT: would appreciate if you could point to the cd download
    Thx

Senior Member registered user
    Hello and welcome to Knoppix.net.
    my intention is to learn Linux basics and hopefully move onto Centos and onto a careee in sever admin etc
    I noticed that you joined recently and so was wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions since to help you we will need to know about you.

- How did you hear about Knoppix?
    - How did you discover Knoppix.net?
    - What version of Knoppix are you using?
    - What type of PC system are you running Knoppix on? If you are familiar with the make & model number, then please share.
    - What operating system is currently installed on that system?
    - How long have you been using computers, or how familiar are you with computers?
    - Have you used linux before? If so, how long?
    - What do you hope to do with Knoppix or Linux?
    - Are you familiar with a wiki? If so, have you used a wiki before, e.g wrote some content?
    - How old are you?
    - How much formal education have you completed?
    - How much free time do you have to devote to learning Linux?
    - How much money do you have to devote to learning Linux?
    - What IT stuff interests you? Games? Networks? Programming?

These questions are asked so we can best direct you. They won't be compiled or given to anyone else. I thank you in advance for your responses.

Senior Member registered user
    You should probably start with the Documentation link at the top of the page. Read this first http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/General_FAQ
    Then read this http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

thats a tall order
    1 google search for linux beginners
    2 on a web site about instaling a live OS
    3 i will be purchasing 4.0.2 DVD
    4 built it myself
    5 xp pro
    6 10 years
    7 no
    8 no
    9 you're getting personal now
    10 phd
    11 as much as my interest desires me
    12 as above
    13 programming
    Regards
    Op

Quote Originally Posted by Operator
    if not could you direct me to the iso or cd and instructions please?
    Near the top of this page is a link marked Documentation. It will take you to this site's wiki. I strongle suggest reading the downloading faq before you do anything else with Knoppix and before you download the ISO. You may find other things there that are of interest to you as well.

To actually download the ISO (free), there is a link right before the Documantation link marked Get Knoppix. By following it you will find the BitTorrent torrents for recent versions, the Mirrors, and yes, a link to resellers who want to sell you a copy. Unless you are behind a firewall that you cannot configure (such as at work), I strongly suggest that you take a couple of minutes and learn to use BitTorrent if you are not already a user. This should get you a download much faster than the mirrors and will get it accurately (about 50% of my mirror downloads of Knoppix were corrupt before I started using the mirrors, including the first one). It's a handy tool to have as well.

If anything else isn't covered in the downloading faq let us know and we'll update it.

Thank you H.K. however you did mention "then download the 4.0.2 CD" could you kindly direct me to this please
    Regards
    Op

Quote Originally Posted by Operator
    Thank you H.K. however you did mention "then download the 4.0.2 CD" could you kindly direct me to this please
    I'll assume that you are going to follow my advice to use BitTorrent (although if you insist on using the mirrors this should make those clear too):

I had actually written up some details on this in the downloading faq but it was destroyed by a spammer. Perhaps now that we have a better backup system in place I should redo that entry. In a nutshell: Follow the Get Knoppix Link. Assuming that you have a current (4.0.3 or 4.0.4) version of BitTorrent installed and any firewall and/or router properly set up, click on the second link in the second paragraph, marked Knoppix BitTorrent Tracker. This will take you to the official tracker for Knoppix BitTorrent downloads. Here you will see a number of tracker downloads available. If you look what is currently the top four, you will see that 2 have DVD in their name and two have CD in their name. Since you have a phd I'll leave it to you to decide what this might suggest. You'll also see that the name of two end in DE and the name of two end in EN. The DE one's will default the boot into German, the EN ones English. There is at least one older version there, as well as some copies of a custom version of Knoppix with lots of games. Pick the torrent of your choce and download it by clicking on the DL in the column marked Torrent for the row that you want (it's a very small file). Once downloaded, click on it and, if it was already installed, BiTTorrent should start. The download will seem to run very very slowly at first. Give it a few minutes. Assuming that your firewalls are set up properly you should pick up speed quickly and may soon be download at or near your full download capacity (far faster than you can do from most mirrors). Assuming that you are using the actual BitTorrent client rather than one of the knock-offs, you should see a small slider on the BitTorrent window that limits upload speed. The best setting for this is slightly below your upload speed (for example, I can upload at 256kbps, if I set this at 24 my downloads fly, if I leave it higher then the uploads can swamp the channel and actually slow down my downloads).

If you do use the mirrors, be sure to also download the md5 file as well as the ISO and confirm the download. This is extremely important when using the mirrors. When downloading with BitTorrnt you will get all of the files that you need (and some you don't) in one download.

Thank you HK, the phd was sarcasm Tho i am an educated man i have never used BT always ftp or winscp, my connection is 2meg so things should be ok for speeds, so the next move is to dl and instal BT and learn it
    Regards
    Op

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast