Thread: Approaching 10,000 posts

Senior Member registered user

Approaching 10,000 posts

..Feels like a milestone of sorts. I think this forum is really taking off and proving good, free support for Knoppix

It's worth celebrating. I've certainly learned a lot by reading and posting here. I think Knoppix.net is another great example of the kind of support that can come from a community. I know that if I come here and post a question it will generally receive a reply ranging from minutes to hours. Not bad for a bunch of people who like to help each other and learn in the process. I think the level of support that comes from the site is just as good (perhaps much better) than support which is provided on a fee basis. Let's keep up the good work and grow the knoppix community.

Junior Member registered user
    Yes I do agree with what aay said. The great thing about knoppix and linux in general is the community. You don't have to freaking pay everytime you need tech support. This site has by far the information source about knoppix and linux for newbies. Keep up the good work eadz and other posters, contributors.

Member registered user
    Dito!

Anytime someone asks me about Linux I point them here (yes so that they don't call me every time their pc makes a funny noise) but mostly because this is a friendly site and very informational. There is alot of info for the noob in general that isn't even specific to Knoppix. What better way to show someone how amazing Linux is than by handing them a cd and in 5 minutes they have a Linux distro to work with? Try THAT with wimpdoze!

Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    What better way to show someone how amazing Linux is than by handing them a cd and in 5 minutes they have a Linux distro to work with? Try THAT with wimpdoze!
    Well...

It is possible with Windows, at least with Win9x. You basicaly create a bootfloppy-image which loads MSCDEX and a little RAM-drive with the windows registry. You subst the ramdrive to C:, and execute "win" from the CD. D*Space helps a lot here too, similar to the Knoppix compressed image.

Off coarse things are a little bit more complicated (drive letters). These can be fixed by hand (export reg, search/replace, import under DOS). But Win9x unhappyness with changing hardware is a bit more cumbersome. But actually Knoppix had to overcome this same problem, more or less.

And then you have Microsoft breathing in your neck not to release the CD, because you would be blah blah EULA blah...

btw, I never actually tried it myself, but I do know that people got this kind of setup working.