Thread: What happens to the internet temporary files and cookies?

Member registered user

What happens to the internet temporary files and cookies?

Hi, I am totally new to Linux. And more so to Knoppix. I just ordered a Knoppix 4.0.2 LiveDVD through a vendor but couldnt wait till it arrives to find out more about the idea of booting the OS from my DVD drive. My question is, if I am running the operating system from the DVD without installing it on my HD, are all the applications (Mozilla, OpenOffice etc) also running from the DVD? And if so, where are the temporary internet files and cookies stored? Also, how do I install the other extensions that I currently use (on Win ME on my Hard Disk) with Firefox? It looks like in the long run I will eventually have to install Knoppix on the hard disk to be able to use extensions with Firefox. right?

Senior Member registered user

Re: What happens to the internet temporary files and cookies

Hello bokaroseani and welcome to Knoppix.net.

We hope that you enjoy your use of Knoppix and hope you become an active member of the community. There's no membership fee. We just ask that you help us and others by becoming familiar with Knoppix, posting questions, and letting the rest of us know how things go. Also, I noticed that you joined recently and so was wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions.

1. - How did you hear about Knoppix?
    2. - How did you discover Knoppix.net?
    3. - While waiting for the 4.0.2DVD to arrive, what version of Knoppix are you using?
    4. - What type of system are you running Knoppix on?
    5. - What operating system is currently installed on that system?
    6. - How long have you been using computers, or how familiar are you with computers?
    7. - Have you used linux before? If so, how long?
    8. - What do you hope to do with Knoppix or Linux?
    9. - Are you familiar with a wiki? If so, have you used a wiki before, e.g wrote some content?

Quote Originally Posted by bokaroseani
    Hi, I am totally new to Linux. And more so to Knoppix. I just ordered a Knoppix 4.0.2 LiveDVD through a vendor but couldnt wait till it arrives to find out more about the idea of booting the OS from my DVD drive. My question is, if I am running the operating system from the DVD without installing it on my HD, are all the applications (Mozilla, OpenOffice etc) also running from the DVD? And if so, where are the temporary internet files and cookies stored?
    Yes, on a RAM disk. When you reboot your machine all settings will be gone.

Also, how do I install the other extensions that I currently use (on Win ME on my Hard Disk) with Firefox? It looks like in the long run I will eventually have to install Knoppix on the hard disk to be able to use extensions with Firefox. right?
    Not necessarily. I don't. I boot from the CD and use a persistent disk image (PDI) on an internal ATA drive, external FireWire drive, or USB thumb drive. To create a PDI, boot into KDE, then select K > KNOPPIX > Configure > Create persistent Knoppix disk image.

One of the nice things about a PDI is that it becomes your portable computer. Boot with CD+PDI and you will have the same setup wherever you go on whomever's machine you use. I've even heard that some people put the CD+PDI on a single USB thumb drive and boot from it.

Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: What happens to the internet temporary files and cookies

It looks like in the long run I will eventually have to install Knoppix on the hard disk to be able to use extensions with Firefox. right?
    I agree with rwcitek. There are problems that are known to occur when you try to "install Knoppix". Knoppix is intended as a live CD or DVD. It's a great way to get an introduction to Linux without having to install anything. And it's a handy tool to have available for trying on a new system, for file recovery, hardware testing, and for a few other handy uses. But it's not the best Linux for installing to hard disk; that's just not what it is intended to be. While some people do "install" it to hard disk, I would suggest that if you decide you like Knoppix and want it or something like it installed to your hard disk, that you install Debian. Debian is a Linux distribution intended for install on hard disk and is the distro that Knoppix is based on. All of the software packages included in Knoppix (and plenty more) can be freely downloaded and installed into a Debian system. At least before you fight with a Knoppix "install", try installing Debian and see if it doesn't make it simpler to do it that way.

Member registered user
    Thanks Robert, That was very helpful to know about PDI. Its almost like the U3 platform for USB thumb drives that enable them to become portable computers with all our favorite applications. I am really getting excited about this Knoppix thing now. I look forward to exploring it further in next several days. Anyway my answers to your questions are as follows:

1. - How did you hear about Knoppix?

I read a Wikipedia article about Linux which mentions about Knoppix. I found the idea of trying out Linux without disturbing my system very interesting.

2. - How did you discover Knoppix.net?

From the Knoppix.org website.

3. - While waiting for the 4.0.2DVD to arrive, what version of Knoppix are you using?

I am currently not using Knoppix but I just started downloading KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso file. I just cant wait to receive the DVD after reading so much about it.

4. - What type of system are you running Knoppix on?

I will be running Knoppix on a IBM Thinkpad T20 700MHz 128MB RAM.

5. - What operating system is currently installed on that system?

Currently it has Windows XP Home running on it but its too slow.

6. - How long have you been using computers, or how familiar are you with computers?

I have been using computers for last 10 years. I would say I am OK familiar with many things but can't claim to be an expert.

7. - Have you used linux before? If so, how long?

Never used Linux before.

8. - What do you hope to do with Knoppix or Linux?

I didnt hope much. Just was curious to try it out. But now portability of my computing environment looks like something I can use. I travel a lot even internationally and to places that dont always have the state of the art machines. I can see if Knoppix works faster and better than the Windows on these machines. Recovering files from crashed computers is another thing that I think I will use.

9. - Are you familiar with a wiki? If so, have you used a wiki before, e.g wrote some content?

Not much but I browsed very quickly the Wiki page on Knoppix site.

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I am very pleased to join the minority community (but a growing community) of Linux users.