Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knoppix 3.2 on compaq presario r3200 notebook PROBLEM...

knoppix 3.2 on compaq presario r3200 notebook PROBLEM...

hELLO TO ALL...

So I got a problem with my operating system (windows xp) , I need to do a clean reinstall, but want to use knoppix to retrieve files off my notebook before doing so..This has brought me to this site, as I have never used knoppix before.. I know its a LINUX based system that can run off a cd...thats it..

knoppix 3.2 boots up from disk, then i get this message:

Welcome to the KNOPPIX live Linux-on-CD!
    Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM at /dev/scd0.../modules/cloop.o: init_module:
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
    Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
    Press reset button to quit.
    Additional builtin commands available:
    cat
    insmod
    mount
    rmmod
    umount
    lsmod

knoppix#

cAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME SORT THIS OUT SO i CAN USE KNOPPIX TO BACKUP MY FILES TO A CD OR EVEN TRANSFER THEM OVER MY WIRELESS ROUTER...?

Any help much appreciated!.. I will be online all day to respond to any replies...

knoppix v4 downloaded...

Just a quick note to anyone who maybe downloading knoppix for the sole purpose of retrieving files off a hard drive after their primary operating system crashes...

I found a clever program that creates a bootable xp disk

http://www.nu2.nu/

Of course, you have to have an xp disk to hand for this...

Anyway, just downloaded knoppix v4 and mounted the iso to cd...will report back in a bit..

Senior Member registered user

Re: knoppix 3.2 on compaq presario r3200 notebook PROBLEM...

Quote Originally Posted by kel333
    knoppix 3.2 boots up from disk, then i get this message
    This appears to be a disc read error. There are many reasons that you would see it appear. One is that the disc might be corrupted and partially unreadable in the drive. It could be from a bad download or improper burn of the disc. I will refer you to a link that provides the guidelines that you should consider for downloading and making the disc: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ It is IMPERITIVE that the disc be burned at a slow speed. To burn at a higher speed is like playing Russian Roulette. It might or might not fail, but there is a good chance of failure with discs burned at higher speeds.

You appear to be using a VERY outdated version of Knoppix and I would recommend that you download a newer version. BitTorrent is a good way to get a decent download and it pretty much checks the integrity of the file as it is downloaded.

When booting, it may be necessary to use one or more cheatcodes to get around some configuration irregularities in your system. You can find info at theis link: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes Some that might be relevant would be something like "Knoppix dma", or failsafe, or something like noapic. I would try to boot it clean first and then see what happens.

Once you get Knoppix to boot, you can then transfer the files you need to another drive, over the network, or burn them to CD or DVD using something like k3b. Can't do that until you resolve the booting issues and get Knoppix working. There are many posts in the forum that relate to salvaging files from NTFS or other types of partitions. The method really depends on what equipment or resources you have on hand. If you have another windows (2000 or XP) machine, you could always just swap the drive into the other machine and copy the files that way. There are as many ways to skin that cat as there are brands of beer. Which one that you use is a matter of resources and preference or skill levels.

Let us know how you make out.

SUCCESS!!!

In the time it took for KNOPPIX v4.0 to download, i downloaded a clever program called pe builder,anyway back to knoppix v4.0...

Yep it boots fine...took about 2 to 3 minutes to be fully up...the only problem is the mousepad doesn't seem to be responding at all...whats the cheatcode for this??

It also seems to have hooked itself up to the net with a knoppix homepage open...but I cant interact with the desktop or browser at all as no mousepad functions working...

So this is the first obstacle it seems...

How to resolve this issue??

methods for getting files off my notebook...

My notebook is cable connected to a wireless router...802.11g d-link wireless router..

My desktop has a wireless card which connects to the router (hence my presence here) but at the moment (with knoppix v4.0 running on the notebook) cant "see" the notebook computer..

Swapping drives from the notebook to the desktop is not something I have attempted to do before, and would rather try alternate methods before opening up the notebook...

If neccessary, I can probably bring the notebook nearer to the desktop for direct/parallell connection and therefore data transferal...if possible..

Still trying to work out the code for getting the notebooks mouse-pad to work..

Its going well...!

So far...so good...

On second boot of knoppix v4.0

1> after selecting lang=us code on boot...the mouse-pad worked (wether thats to do with the language selection or not, I dont know)

2>I located the cd burning program, only to be confronted with some sort of security program...which I don't understand at all...

3>Finally found the network connection...YES!!...I can see my desktop via wireless router network and am currently transferring my salvaged files using this method!!...No need to burn any cd's or swap any hard disks...GREAT!!

This was the main reason, as a rescue operating system, for downloading knoppix v4.0, after xp sp2 pointlessly fell into an infinite boot loop due to a corrupt mbr...

I must add thatr I AM VERY IMPRESSED with the LYNUX OS and am definately going to investigate further as to using it as my main OS if its a lot more stable than WINDOWS...My only gripe would be wether it could run the programs I usually use like REASON 3 and SOUNDFORGE (music/audio editing & sequencing software)??

THANX TO EVERYONE WHO HAS HELPED DEVELOP THIS PROGRAM AS SHAREWARE...IT BRINGS TEARS TO MY EYES...

3>Finally found the network connection...YES!!...I can see my desktop via wireless router network and am currently transferring my salvaged files using this method!!...No need to burn any cd's or swap any hard disks...GREAT!!
    It's like I said, the method you use/select may depend on what resources you have on hand. Another system and a router/switch can make life simple. If it solved the problem and your files are recovered, it was worth the time to get it working. I doubt that the lang=us has much to do with the touchpad. If the disc is booting up in English by default, it would not be needed. If you are booting into German, you probably downloaded the "DE" version and not the "EN" version. The iso has either included in it's name to identify the default language. They are basically the same, except for the language, so you can start either one into a different language by using the "lang= " bootcode.

Knoppix is not really a "Shareware" licensed distribution. It is a little more complex than that, but it is more like an open source or GPL type of a distribution agreement. A splash page encountered while being directed to an FTP or HTTP Mirror from the Knopper.net site reads as follows: "THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL SOFTWARE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. KNOPPER.NET CAN NOT BE HELD LIABLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FOR DAMAGE TO HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE, LOST DATA, OR OTHER DIRECT OR INDIRECT DAMAGE RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE. IN SOME COUNTRIES THE CRYPTOGRAPHIC SOFTWARE AND OTHER COMPONENTS ON THE CD ARE GOVERNED BY EXPORT REGULATIONS AND THUS MAY NOT BE FREELY COPIED AS IS OTHERWISE NORMAL FOR SOFTWARE UNDER THE GPL LICENSE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE CONDITIONS, YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO USE OR FURTHER DISTRIBUTE THIS SOFTWARE. IF YOU PLAN TO COMMERCIALLY USE OR DISTRIBUTE (AND SELL) THE SOFTWARE, YOU HAVE TO ACQUIRE THE NECESSARY LICENSES AND PERMISSIONS FROM ALL SOFTWARE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS OF NON-FREE SOFTWARE COMPONENTS, OR REMOVE THESE COMPONENTS BEFORE DISTRIBUTING THE SOFTWARE."

PE Builder or Bart PE requires the Windows Install files or Install CD to create a supposedly "Legal" version of the Windows PE program. It is basically the ONLY type of program I will use to "Write" to an NTFS partition outside of Windows itself. Be sure your install files are "Current" before creating the disk. You might have to slipstream SP2 into the XP Install disc files first.

Linux has a bad habit of currupting the NTFS partition if you attempt to write to it. FAT or FAT32 seem to work fine with BOTH Windows and Linux, so they can share files on that type of partition. Reading an NTFS partition in Linux is just fine, as you have found out.

You will find that Knoppix is a great tool and a fantastic way to learn a little about Linux, without actually needing to dedicate hardware to it. If you intend on installing it to an actual system, Knoppix is not the best for that. It is intended as a LIVE Disc. Kanotix or Debian are similar and fare better when installed on a system. I have been poking around in the Knoppix discs for a few years and am amazed at how well it works. I'm hooked and with good reason. The forum is also a great place to get information and help. Usually a quick search will find some pertinent information on most issues. There are MANY dedicated individuals with a broad range of experiences that participate here.

I'm happy to see your problem is resolved! Hope you continue using Knoppix and participate in the forum!

Thank you for posting your success and the solutions you found.

Help needed again!

Well I sussed out finally that the k3b cd/dvd burner on knoppix v4.0 DOESN'T require a password to operate it, its just that I was opening the k3b setup program which requires some sort of admin password....??? It was a bit late last night..!

Anyway, having figured that out, my new dilemma is that some of the files I am salvaging off my notebook via knoppix and transferring via wi-fi to desktop are over a gig so this is where burning software would come in handy...problem is, I'm running knoppix off of the cd which is occupying the only drive on the notebook.. As far as I am aware, I cant eject knoppix to burn a cd/dvd as the software to do this is on the disk I would be ejecting!!..So, I suppose this means I can only use the k3b burning application if I install knoppix to the hard disk... Is this true, is there another way??

If this is true, I then need to create a partition (or resize the existing partition) to allow for knoppix v4.0 to install on my notebook hard disk in fat32 format...? Is this correct?
    I know knoppix can read ntfs files, hence being able to see them,but what format does the partition have to be in for knoppix to install correctly and is there a program that can help me create/resize my existing ntfs partition????

Thanks in advance!

PS: While i'm asking, does knoppix run non-knoppix applications like photoshop,or do the applications have to be written for/using linux??

photoshop can be used on linux with a program called wine. it wil be slightly slower and it might not support all plugins..

As to installing, ext3 is the filesystem used by knoppix if i am not all wrong. sadly this canot be seen/used by Windows.

You could try rezise the NTFS and create a small FAT32 partition, FAT32 can bee seen read/write by both systems, sadly there is a few bad things with it, Linux can not easily be installed TO a fat32 system and there is a limit of ~3.9Gb in one single file.
    And to make things interesting, if that disk is corupt, Resizing a partition on it might take it even further down the path of destruction.
    another thing is if you do NOT have a full XP disk but a RECOVERY disk that partition will be removed.

by the way, do you know of a friend with a USB DVD or CD burner? most of those work well in linux. if you could borow (buy) one you can use that to burn disks.

Is this true, is there another way??
    There is one other way to boot Knoppix without installing to hard drive. It will work ONLY if you have sufficient memory to boot the entire cd into RAM. Using the cheatcode "knoppix toram" will copy the CD to memory and run it from there. You should then be able to burn discs with the existing drive. Personally, I like OErjan's idea of using an external burner, whether it's USB or Firewire. I have seen USB2 CD burners out there for as little as $25 US or so. I recently bought a Memorex external for less than that, plus shipping, so it was about $30 total. It can be used again, so it would seem to be a good investment. Buying an external DVD/CD writer might be a better idea, since it has the added ability to burn DVDs and if your files are over one Gig, you would need that ability. An external Hard Drive is another option for you. Investing in more RAM, if you don't have enough to use the toram cheatcode, might also be an idea, since it would enhance the laptop's performance. It depends on how much RAM is currently installed, how much the Laptop will accept, and what the price of the particular RAM is on a given day. It's usually not too expensive and can be a good option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast