Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Evidence WinXP "security updates" may break Linux

Evidence WinXP "security updates" may break Linux

Hi!
    Just noticed the XP security updates influence on NICs on this board!
    Happens I just started Linux on dual boot with XP and Linux on on system and the same on a second machine withWin2k and Linux
    (Linux means Knoppix 3.3 to be clear)
    Had the same problem on BOTH machines:
    The NIC's eeprom got mistreated supposedly by XP and Win2K:
    Runs perfectly under XP/2K but Linux refuses to complete a DHCP.
    Running mii-tool -r and netcardconfig temporarily works on the 2K machine (NOT on the XP machine!), but on run withWindows and its over again!

I have been looking all over the net to find links but no luck sofar!
    Can NOT find another trick to get it running more comfortable....

The discussion I mentioned above was dated about a year ago.

I wonder if some clever human being found a solution for this problem in the mean time! (Either in the kernel of Linux or by means of a clever startuptool...whatever!)

(No need to say that I even had the brutality to ask BG in Redmond but
    found nothing...)

Any tip???

Regards

Niels

Some test results using XP Home/XP Pro, desktop vs laptop

Hi folks,

Just wanted to chime in on this discussion as I find it very interesting, since I have been so impressed with Knoppix's ability to just work.

I have a desktop system running XP Home, and have access to a client's laptop running XP Pro. I ran Windows Update on both systems to get completely up to date, then put in both Knoppix 3.3 and the BitDefender Knoppix 3.4 CD. The desktop system has no problem with either CD in accessing the network, but the laptop fails with both CD's. An ifconfig reveals only the loopback address. I have not yet, and have no immediate plans to, install to HD.

Since I've heard plenty about Linux's shortcomings as far as laptops are concerned, and since I also don't know the make of the network card in the laptop (it's an IBM G40 2384-EHU, if that means anything to anyone ), I don't know if this sheds any light on the subject. But I can confirm that the CD works fine on the desktop with XP Home installed.

Charlie T.

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Some test results using XP Home/XP Pro, desktop vs lapto

Quote Originally Posted by charliet
    .... But I can confirm that the CD works fine on the desktop with XP Home installed.
    That's interesting, and it's always good to collect more information.

But it's not surprising, as there is a lot of variety in NICs out there, and a hack that affects some nics like will not affect others. We do have records in some other threads on this forum of Desktop users who have been affected. And the most significant clue to this problem still seems to be my own experience that Knoppix booted from CD worked just fine on the network under XP for several weeks, until I installed the "security updates". Now the same CD(s) fail to bring up a network connection.

Senior Member registered user
    The XP/W2K playing with the NIC's onboard setting is very annoying especially it doesn't inform me, the user. I have a similar experience with an ancient 3C905TX. Not that it doesn't work under linux, just mii-tools has problem with it and for some distribution(like redhat), it relies on the output of mii-tool to determine if the network card is working before it does the ifconfig stuff.

I need to dig out a DOS diskette, booting into DOS and run the 3Com config utility to set things straight. This is ridiculous.

Senior Member registered user
    I never trusted the online updates anyway. What if a hacker, not the WIMPdoze team, gets access to my machine this way? No way!

Now, it turns out the hacker was actually on the WIMPdoze team. Imagine that! Are you really surprised?

I have a WIMxP Pro install CD from way back (one of the first, so it has limited updates). If I need to reinstall my better half's PC, that's what I use, but we never install updates! Yes, I still maintain a WIMxP box for the wife and kids. Just don't go there....

BTW, the kids take to KNOPPIX very quickly, especially after apt-get bzflag and freecraft (and a little nvidia tweeking)!

Regards,
    AJG

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789