Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: after changing root password...

Junior Member registered user
    Sorry Harry I am a bit useless!

It's a Thompson Speedtouch and I can now see there are numerous postings about it in various other Forums.

As I see it, one can either install Knoppix to the HD and then run the various scripts to 'enable' the modem, or one can re-master the Knoppix cd (my preferred option) and then Internet will be available when one boots Knoppix from the cd.

I will look at how to do the second option - I am assuming that one must somehow include the extra scripts into the iso image of the cd - but I haven't read it all up yet so I'll have a good look first.

Thanks again

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatcharlie
    As I see it, one can either install Knoppix to the HD and then run the various scripts to 'enable' the modem, or one can re-master the Knoppix cd (my preferred option) and then Internet will be available when one boots Knoppix from the cd.

I will look at how to do the second option -
    I still don't know exactly what model of modem that you have or why you might think that you need to remaster. If it's USB only then you might have problems (I would strongly suggest insisting that the ISP supply a safe and workable modem instaed). If it's ethernet then you don't need to do either of the things that you listed. I have a Speedtouch Home and I use it with Knoppix all the time - but I have that very important router (my Speedtouch Home does not have a router built in).

As for installing Knoppix to hard disk; that is the surest way I know to have networking problems. I don't believe in it. There are distros intended for install to hard disk, such as Debian, the distro that Knoppix is based on.

And I've been assuming that you know for a fact that you are not on the Internet already (which seems likely, but I would hate to go several more days and then have you post "oh, I was connected to the Internet fine all along"). When you click on a link in Konquror it does fail, right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

1. Root Password (what is it?)
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-16-2013, 06:58 PM
  2. Root Password ( what is it? )
    By Cuddles in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-18-2007, 10:43 AM
  3. root password
    By abeza in forum Hardware & Booting