Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SATA not found, no root access.

Hybrid View

SATA not found, no root access.

I used the Live DVD to see what Knoppix is like, it was able to read all my drives, sata and everything. I unplugged my SATA in order to install knoppix to the HD, that way I don't accidently screw up my sata's .. well it booted and everything but it doesn't mount my Satas now. I tried making a link to /dev/sda1 and sda2 on my desktop but then it says it isn't found in fstab and some other file. I went to /dev/ and opened fstab, there I added my own entries for the sda1 and sda2 making sure to set configurations correctly but then I tried to save it and it said I didn't have write accesses.. so I logged out and typed in my username as root and my password then it said "Root logins are not allowed" I tried su also but that didn't work. I don't get this! It is my machine and I am the only user of it so what's with all this security nonsense? I can't connect to the internet because it doesn't detect my 802.11b network card either unfortunately. How do I completely 100% get rid of the security and make me the top level root user all the time so that I can actually make things work? Thanks

anyone out there? I guess i'll just start over fresh, it [knoppix] doesn't seem to be plug n play compatable.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by Davethewave
    anyone out there? I guess i'll just start over fresh, it [knoppix] doesn't seem to be plug n play compatable.
    Mre to the point, it's not hard drive install compatable.

Yes it is, you type: "sudo knoppix-installer" at the terminal while booted into the live DVD.. then it starts installation to HD. My problem is that I installed it but I disconnected SATA first, so while installing it never loaded the proper configuration to read my SATA drives, now I need to input that configuration but I don't know how. I found a program, I forget the name.. If I remember I'll post it, it acts as a file manager but gives me root access. Well I tried to edit the line in /etc/fstab and added an entry with a mount point as sda1 and sda2 for the second, but it says sda1 and sda2 aren't found so I'm guessing it won't be that simple. I am new to linux and I think I am doing rather good for being a "typical windows user" I am just having trouble setting up the hard drives and WLAN. Is there a program for Autodetection of hardware changes? I think I saw a reboot command that searches for changes on the next boot while installing the nvidia video card drivers, I forget the switch though. Could the "fix" be in the MAKEDEV command? How would I use MAKEDEV in proper syntax? Thanks!

Ok, I got it working. If anyone else out there has this trouble with SATA drives this is what I did: (I'm not saying it's the right way or the best way as I am new to Linux, I just know it works ) #1: I did not know how to gain root access by login to edit this so what I did was use the program "krusader" -root access mode and it worked great: I open /etc/fstab within krusader as root and added the lines "/Dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 NTFS noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=***,gid=*** 0 0" NOTE:where *** is supposed to be your login/user name not "***" for example, if your login/user name is elvis it would then be "uid=elvis" and "gid=elvis" #2: I added 2 folders in the /mnt/ directory named sda1 and sda2 so it would be /mnt/sda1 and /mnt/sda2 otherwise it says it won't mount as these do not exist. #3 I right-click the desktop and create a new link to hard drive and point it to /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 you may need to restart, I restarted quite a bit figuring this out but it worked for me and I hope it helps someone else too Now I just need to get my 802.1x wireless pci card working! if anyone has info on this please let me know, it's a Trendnet TEW-423PI. Also, what is "hotplug"? I would have thought it was supposed to autodetect this stuff. *shrug*

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by davethewave
    Yes it is, you type: "sudo knoppix-installer" at the terminal while booted into the live DVD..
    You missed the point. Knoppix is intended as a LIVE disk distro It is NOT intended for a hard drive installation. It WILL install if you provide the proper commands, but it WILL have issues like networking and a host of others. You have experienced this for yourself and it does not pay to argue the point any further in that regard. You would be much better served by looking for a distro that is intended for a hard drive install in the first place. Kanotix seems a bit more stable for a HD install, as well as Debian, which is what Knoppix is based on. There are many better choices for a HD installation than to use a Knoppix on a HD install. Many people DO install Knoppix to the HD, but it is not really recommended and it does require a good working knowledge of Linux to get the wrinkles out.

ahh thanks for the info. Again I am new to linux so I'm just figuring this stuff out no need to get hacked off at me or anything. I will check into Debian, is Kanotix is another live cd?

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by Davethewave
    is Kanotix is another live cd?
    yes
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Senior Member registered user
    Bwahaha....I worship Sata....Hehe.

lol..
    Ok, so I downloaded 8 gigs of Debian and installed it.. in my opinion Knoppix is actually better as it is already configured for my taste. Knoppix has more sessions, more applications installed, and it has the linux kernel source already in the usr/source directory which regular Debian doesn't and I don't know how to install it there. Standard Debian didn't see my SATA either so I had to install them by hand like with Knoppix, and that's fine. Neither Knoppix nor standard Debian could see my wireless networking card, however, standard debian did say it could see my eth0 and eth1 card but the problem is that I am all the way on the other side of the house away from the router, that would take an awfully long ethernet cord and some wall drilling that I don't want to go through lol. Knoppix has some software that isn't even an option in the Debian install (package) program. Are you sure Knoppix isn't ment to be installed to HD?? it seems so much more configured than standard Debian and user-friendly. Standard Debian asked what my monitor is capable of.. I told it 1024x768 and it sets it to 800x600 with strange video artifacts during session login/logout. Knoppix didn't ask me anything about the video card and it set it correctly at 1024x768. I will continue using Knoppix I think... as soon as I find out how the heck I can get my wireless card to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast