Thread: Mouse won't work

Mouse won't work

I'm new to using Knoppix and getting started I can't get the mouse to work with my disc. I've tried the code I've found that is supposed to fix this issue but it doesn't do anything and I've tried it a few times now. I see that a BIOS update is suggested if that doesn't work, but (being new to this) I don't know where exactly to get the right update to fix this problem or how to install it. I'm using an eMachines W3050 computer with Windows XP if that makes a difference some how.
    Thank you!

Senior Member registered user
    Welcome to the Knoppix.net forum!

Quote Originally Posted by across0the0stars
    I can't get the mouse to work with my disc
    Is your mouse a USB or PS2? If USB, are the "legacy" usb settings enabled on the PC in the bios? What "Code" was it that you tried with no success?

it's a PS/2 mouse,
    I tried the code listed here:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hardware...sn.27t_work.21

it was the only thing i could find without knowing much about computers to dig more deeply for an answer.

thank you

it's a PS/2 mouse,
    I tried the code listed here
    Did you type it at the "Boot:_" prompt on the start up splash screen? The syntax is important also. It may very well be that you have one of those Motherboards that does not play well with PS/2 mice and Linux. I might suggest that you try another type/brand of PS/2 mouse, or try using a USB mouse and see what happens.

You might try some of the other "Cheat Codes", such as "failsafe" or "noapm", etc. That would disable certain functions on startup that may have an effect on your concern. Some information and a list of codes can be found at the following link: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes

I see that a BIOS update is suggested if that doesn't work, but (being new to this) I don't know where exactly to get the right update to fix this problem or how to install it.
    Support for your system can be found at the following location: http://www.emachines.com/support/pro...es&model=W3050

They do not appear to have a Bios update listed for your system. I would try to contact them and see if they might have a solution. The contact information is provided at the above link. They can instruct you on how to update the bios if it is required. You need to be careful and follow the directions. An incorrect bios flash can render a system unbootable. It is a simple proceedure, but certain precautions should be taken. I plug the systems into an uninteruptable power supply so there will be no interruption of power. Be careful not to shut down the system before it is successful.

I am assuming that you are using the latest version of Knoppix which is 4.0.2. If you are using something quite a bit older, it might be worth trying the current version.

Let us know how you make out. Good Luck!

hm, I was advised by a friend that uses knoppix that I should just try a usb mouse,
    I borrowed a mouse from a friend, it was a wireless optical microsoft mouse and it worked great. so then I was advised to just get a generic usb mouse, but now that won't work and my friend really has no more advice for me, any ideas why this would happen?

I borrowed a mouse from a friend, it was a wireless optical microsoft mouse and it worked great
    I previously recommeded that you try a USB mouse. If the MS Optical works, then that is the one to get. Wired MS mice can sometimes be found for as little as $6 US at computer shows near me. I doubt that they are all that expensive at retail either. An office supply store (Staples) had them for $18 recently in the retail package. Not every Mouse will have the same circuitry, so they may be recognized differently by the system bios or the USB controller.
    There is a wired one available here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826105168
    Wireless here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826105153

I searched for a topic here regarding mouse hardware and this was the closest I could find to post my problem. Using Knoppix 4.02 live CD, it does not detect a SERIAL mouse. I know the serial mouse technology is old, and I dont even think they sell these anymore? However, I keep one around as a backup, just a plain ol 2 button serial, and it happened to be connected in my other PC. The mouse works ok in other OS's , except Slax live CD, which I think is probably using the same detection routines as Knoppix. I notified the Slax people, but it seems to be a low priority on the bug list. Perhaps there is a command to connect to a remote server and DL the detection routine for this hardware, once Knoppix Environment?

actually the mouse should work. just reconfigure the mouse settings in KDE.