Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making smaller, smarter kliks

Senior Member registered user
    Hi Lews,

your code is very useful, but I am afraid you have not yet completely understood what klik tries: a cmg created on your machine should also run on your friends' computer... or on the second distro you're dualbooting...

A cmg should not be "tied" to just one specific machine.

Greeings,
    probono

My code was just to fix the problem you mentioned earlier about detecting libraries being hard. I don't see how it would rule out copying cmgs to other computers - the library detection step would be run again, and any missing libraries would be downloaded.

my 2c

Hi,

I'm with probono on this one.

Allthough finding out which libraries are required is not difficult technically that is not the goal of klik. there are many package management systems that attempt to resolve library dependencies with more or less elaborate methods.

I am by no means a linux expert and have tried a dozen distros in my time and sooner or later i try to install an app and i enter libary hell. Hard disk space is cheap as chips, download bandwith is pretty cheap too. I don't understand what the big deal is in having a bunch of libraries installed multiple time. Especially i don't understand how people can complain about hard disk utilisation when most linux distro are so so bloated and install by default at least half a dozen applications to perform the same task. Surely disk space is not such a big issue!!!

Klik is basically aiming to make linux more accessible to the average user and the average user has no idea and doesn't care whether an app is 3Mb instead of 2.5Mb because of a few duplicate libraries.

I love the ease with which you can install apps on a mac and the idea of having that possibily in linux without having to worry about which libraries are installed or whether new ones are required is really refreshing.

andre

Re: my 2c

Quote Originally Posted by drepster
    Hi,

I'm with probono on this one.

Allthough finding out which libraries are required is not difficult technically that is not the goal of klik. there are many package management systems that attempt to resolve library dependencies with more or less elaborate methods.

I am by no means a linux expert and have tried a dozen distros in my time and sooner or later i try to install an app and i enter libary hell. Hard disk space is cheap as chips, download bandwith is pretty cheap too. I don't understand what the big deal is in having a bunch of libraries installed multiple time. Especially i don't understand how people can complain about hard disk utilisation when most linux distro are so so bloated and install by default at least half a dozen applications to perform the same task. Surely disk space is not such a big issue!!!

Klik is basically aiming to make linux more accessible to the average user and the average user has no idea and doesn't care whether an app is 3Mb instead of 2.5Mb because of a few duplicate libraries.

I love the ease with which you can install apps on a mac and the idea of having that possibily in linux without having to worry about which libraries are installed or whether new ones are required is really refreshing.

andre
    I totally agree with the whole HD space issue. I just want apps ' to work/install easy' and if that means parting with a few extra libs ( never used a mac so I have no idea how it does it ) then I'd like to borrow some soundbytes in the form of 'Let's Go!' ) ( penguins anyone ? )

LSB I agree is the answer and if ALL DISTROS abided by it we'd have it made ( and if more vendors tried to utilise them ).

cheers
    nl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12