Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's it like being a newbie?

Senior Member registered user
    Hmm...
    I know all the reasons that Linux is superior in every way, and am desparately trying to migrate away from Win, but honestly, installing any Linux distro on my computer is driving me insane. Knoppix livecd works great, but as soon as I try to actually install it, everything stops working, and i have to spend days plugging away at text files in a fruitless hit or miss attempt to get the thing to behave. I know the problem lies with my lack of understanding, but I'm busy, and don't have that much time to become an expert. I don't want anyone to have to give up the flexability of being able to configure absolutely everything, but having an option to automatically set everything up (which, frustratingly, Knoppix seems capable of, but unwilling to do on a real install) would be of great comfort to some of us...
    Trying, but feeling glum.

Tortoise,

Most things are setup on the hdinstall like the cd, but of course some aren't. Perhaps if you listed issues that you need addressed, we could better help you out. I have been able to tweak my hdinstalls to work pretty much as I wanted them too and it's not too hard. Is the main issue getting access to other partitions? Just let us know.

Junior Member registered user

From one newbie to another

A good trick to set up partioning is using the Mandrake installer to set up your partitions, it's autoallocate function is perfect.
    Then force kill it or shut down the comp, and install Knoppix.
    No mess and worries about partitioning.

>Most things are setup on the hdinstall like the cd, but of course some aren't. >Perhaps if you listed issues that you need addressed, we could better help >you out. I have been able to tweak my hdinstalls to work pretty much as I >wanted them too and it's not too hard. Is the main issue getting access to >other partitions? Just let us know.

Thanks, I was just venting...
    I guess the main issue is that when I installed RedHat a while ago it started up in such a state, none of my hardware worked, and I just got so dispirited that I got rid of it. Then I saw Knoppix LiveCD, and it worked wonderfully, but when I installed it, it was back to the nothing works stage. OK So, concretely:
    My Crystal WDM sound card (IBM Thinkpad A30) isn't recognised.
    My Lucent soft modem isn't either.
    Where are my partitions, and how to I find them?
    Thanks for putting up patiently with a rant!

Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise
    >
    Thanks, I was just venting...
    I guess the main issue is that when I installed RedHat a while ago it started up in such a state, none of my hardware worked, and I just got so dispirited that I got rid of it. Then I saw Knoppix LiveCD, and it worked wonderfully, but when I installed it, it was back to the nothing works stage. OK So, concretely:
    So everything worked from CD it's just a matter of getting the correct config files on the HD.
    My Crystal WDM sound card (IBM Thinkpad A30) isn't recognised.
    Try in a root console window sndconfig to configure the card.
    My Lucent soft modem isn't either.
    There are many post on winmodems and getting them to work in the forum, use the search box the solution is there already.
    Where are my partitions, and how to I find them?
    In a root console fdisk -l /dev/hd? will show you the partitions on the drive you select. If you would like your partitions mounted on boot then edit the file /etc/fstab, knoppix put your partitions it found during HD install in the file commented out.
    Thanks for putting up patiently with a rant!
    We're here to help. An easy way to do most of what you would like to do is boot from the CD check what config is used and mount your HD install and copy the config files that the CD is using to the HD and everything should work like it does on the CD.

Thank you - yes, everything worked from the CD, so I have a blank desktop with a floppy icon and a trashcan on it.
    When I click on the floppy, I get an error. I suspect this may be to do with the fact that it is an external USB floppy, and the os thinks it is another kind of drive.
    My network adaptors also don't work any more (one wireless, the other wired, one at least works on the livecd)

>We're here to help. An easy way to do most of what you would like to do is >boot from the CD check what config is used and mount your HD install and >copy the config files that the CD is using to the HD and everything should >work like it does on the CD.

How would you feel about walking me through that step by step, since it sounds like what I need to do.
    1. How do I 'check what config is used? Is it one file? If so which one and where do I find it, or is there one file for each device? If so how do I identify and find them?
    2. Can I copy the whole file across, or do I need to cut and paste the commands manually?

Thank you! Sorry to be such a pain!

Thank you - yes, everything worked from the CD, so I have a blank desktop with a floppy icon and a trashcan on it.
    When I click on the floppy, I get an error. I suspect this may be to do with the fact that it is an external USB floppy, and the os thinks it is another kind of drive.
    Look at this thread

My network adaptors also don't work any more (one wireless, the other wired, one at least works on the livecd)
    As root:
    netcardconfig

1. How do I 'check what config is used? Is it one file? If so which one and where do I find it, or is there one file for each device? If so how do I identify and find them?
    There are a few files to look at- here are two you may need:
    /etc/fstab
    /etc/X11/XFree86Config-4

2. Can I copy the whole file across, or do I need to cut and paste the commands manually?

Thank you! Sorry to be such a pain!
    Yes you can copy- always make backups first in case you bork a file. Learn to use Midnight Commander- it's pathetically easy. As root do:
    mc

How do you edit with mc?
    mcedit /etc/fstab
    Look at the 'F' keys that are used in mc.

To copy files:
    Boot your Knoppix cd, mount the partition you installed to and copy on over.

Check out this thread too.

Amazing - what a revelation!
    My network cards work now, my drive icons are back!
    You're a hero!
    I still think it's a shame that the extra fussing (which isn't as bad as I thought it would be) puts so many people off - it's so close to being friendly enough! Still, I'm hooked now!
    Thank you!

Just a couple more quickies!:
    1. How do I change which programs appear on the bottom bar (I want to add Mozilla)?
    2. How do I create shortcuts to directories or files on the desktop?
    3. Why do my screen fonts look clunkier than on windows? Can I fix this?
    Thanks!

Oops! Plus:
    My cd rom / dvd drives? How do I make those appear on the desktop?
    How do I install a network printer?
    If these questions are answered elsewhere, please just tell me to shut up!
    Thanks

Oops! Plus:
    My cd rom / dvd drives? How do I make those appear on the desktop?
    How do I install a network printer?
    If these questions are answered elsewhere, please just tell me to shut up!
    Thanks
    Right click on the desktop and choose the device you want to create, the same with the taskbar. All the others Kmenu -> Settings -> Control Center. Nice to see you got it going good luck.

ps. for the fonts check to make sure anti-aliasing is turned on.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast