Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting it off my desktop

Getting it off my desktop

OK. So I klik a program, magic appears and there it is... operational... on my desktop. Now what?

1. I decide not to keep the program. Aside from moving the CMG to the trash, what else needs to be done?

2. I decide I like it but I prefer a clean desktop. Where should I move the CMG (and any other program)?

ron

"Getting it off my desktop"

ad 1.: Yes (but bear in mind, that "move to trash" does not necessarily delete it irreversibly).

ad 2.: Wherever you like (you just need to be able to write to and read from that place).

Senior Member registered user
    I store my cmg files on my hard disc then drag them to desktop when I want to run them. Ones I use more often, I just leave them on the desktop where they are saved in my PH.

drb

Being a relative newbie to Knoppix, I am not yet aware of the intricacies of the system. But, with the wonderful from you guys, I am catching on. Old thoughts and habits are hard to get rid of. I have been working with Windows since version 3.1 came out.

Is there a folder(s) that one should never store a CMG in Knoppix?

Junior Member registered user
    Of course there are folders where CMG's must *NOT* be stored.

It's /boot and /proc folders.

But a much better idea is to store CMGs in your home directory at $HOME

/opt could be used if you want to keep it for all users, or a subfolder of $HOME if you want it for yourself only...
    (Just make sure there are no spaces in the path)

Greetings,
    probono

Just got back to this project.
    I logged in to the root, changed the permissions of the OPT folder to Read/Write for all and marked the folder as Shared. I then moved all the menu items from the Applications menu to their respective menus.

As a test, I moved the LBreakout2 CMG from the desktop to the OPT folder. Now, I get a couple errors that the tmp file can not be found.

Here is the menu command line: /home/user/.zAppRun /home/user/Desktop/lbreakout2_2.5.2-2.cmg

What changes need to be made to run this application successfully from the menu? I changed /user/Desktop to /opt but that did not seem to do the trick.

Thanks for your patience. Once I get this figured out, I can start selling some used computers with Kanotix installed and generate some interest for you guys. I also hope to add a transparent reminder note to the desktop to make donations.

Ron

Just got back to this project.
    I logged in to the root, changed the permissions of the OPT folder to Read/Write for all and marked the folder as Shared. I then moved all the menu items from the Applications menu to their respective menus.

As a test, I moved the LBreakout2 CMG from the desktop to the OPT folder. Now, I get a couple errors that the tmp file can not be found.

Here is the menu command line: /home/user/.zAppRun /home/user/Desktop/lbreakout2_2.5.2-2.cmg

What changes need to be made to run this application successfully from the menu? I changed /user/Desktop to /opt but that did not seem to do the trick.

Thanks for your patience. Once I get this figured out, I can start selling some used computers with Kanotix installed and generate some interest for you guys. I also hope to add a transparent reminder note to the desktop to make donations.

Ron

The menu is automatically refreshed a couple of minutes after you have run and quit the cmg from its new location.

Greetings,
    probono

Well I made it work in Kubuntu:
    I moved abiword.cmg to /opt/
    and made with the menu editor an extra entry
    with the command
    /home/freerk/.zAppRun /opt/abiword.cmg

once started and stopped, the menu entry has some more capabilies;
    add to panel; put starter on desktop and 2 other entries behind 'whole menu'

Freerk Jongsma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast