Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot connect to internet through Lan..

Senior Member registered user
    hmm, what does lspci say?
    that should give info on the networking hardware you have.

Junior Member registered user
    Ok here is the feedback from lspci:

Ethernet controller : Marvell Technology Group Ltd: Unknown device 4362 (rev 15)

Network Controller: Intel PRO/Wirelless 2200BG (rev 05)

I also get this (this has nothing to do with network but since I found it....):
    Intel Corp 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 family) high definition audio controller (rev 04)...........Why the hell I got no sound then???

sound part may be as simpel as opening a mixer and seting the soundlevels. try aumix, kmix...
    if that fails try running alsaconf by typing
    Code:
    sudo alsaconf
    then you just read and do what the program tell you (90% of the time just klicking next).
    as for the ethernet, eeh, uncomon is to be mild, I have rarely had a Linux computer refuse a regular card.
    hmm, is that a gigabit card?
    if so perhaps here is the solution
    http://www.syskonnect.de/syskonnect/...x/sk98lin.html.
    if i read that right it is integrated in the most recent kernels, mine is 2.6.14and i have it. try
    Code:
    sudo modprobe sk98lin
    the kernel MAY have a driver too old for your card though. if this had been a installed linux it would have been an easy fx but from CD or DVD... not as easy.

Ok I checked ypur link and I have to say this.....
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME ???
    How am I supposed to do all that stuff???
    The reason I chose knoppix is because it is supposed to be easy (considering there is no install) for a windows user to see how linux works!!!
    To do all that I need 2 Msc in computer engineering 1 phD in programming and some part time studying in psychology!!!!!!!!!!
    There has to be an easier way to make this work!!!\
    I mean I am dying to use linux and I ll have to give up trying if that's the only way. Imagine how much sooner a guy who just wants to "check it out" would give up!!!!
    People lets be realistic!!!It's 2005!!!! Things cant be THAT complicated!!!!

As for the kernel it's the latest knoppix I could get a week ago from this site.....don';t know what drivers it packs..

as I said. it actually IS easy, it was the modprobe part that was the solution, you should already HAVE the driver on your disk.
    did you even try the modprobe comand?
    Code:
    sudo alsaconf
    if that did not work, eeh, it means you sadly have a kernel that has a driver too old for your network card, you have to remember things are slightly lagging in linux drivers.
    it is likely fixed in near future though.
    WHYT? well, the drivers (modules actually) have to be made from ground up without the manufacturers helping out at all, not an easy task.
    if the manufacturers helped the linux comunity 1% as much as they help microsoft, things would be greatly different, just alowing us to get bare minimum of info would make it MUCH easyer, as things stand we have to more or less make educated guesses.
    Nvidia has gone part of the way and made a Linux installer so has ATI.
    Several other manufacturers have caught on, we are not holding our breaths though.
    sorry.

by the way, likely you could make it work in a actuall installed system by simply upgrading your kernel. or even module alone. not a klick and it is finished solution, but one that very few actually have to take out of necesity, many do it just to get the most out of their sustems though.

Don't know if this driver comes with knoppix, but you might want to try:
    rmmod sk98lin
    modprobe skge

So basically what I have to do is wait for the next version of knoppix that "might" have the drivers??
    Anyway even if it sounds bizzare to u i do understand that these problems are caused by the lack of support from manufacturers.
    Now i will try the mod thing u suggested . Since u mentioned the kernel thing though I want to ask u this as well. Through some gui command (I think it is configure sound--> it pops a window with options..) I get this error message that my kernel does not support the drivers and i should use kernel newer than 2.2??????What is that? I mean the kernel is like 2.6 or something!!!!!
    Oh I have so many problems, I dont know anything and no one around here runs linux......I dont know what to do....
    So to summarize: I try the modprobe, pray and wait...........
    When do u think my hardware will be supported?
    Any other distros (live only please) I could try??
    I already tried slax (doesn't load because of some stupid vesa error) and ubuntu live (crashes during loading at the hotplug detection point...).

By the way u might be interested in hearing the following: In knoppel (greek version of knoppix ) which is based on an older version of knoppix (if I am wrong it is same as current knoppix at most) my vga is recognized as ati x700. However knoppix fails to recognize it at all......how about that?

Ok people final results.....
    I did get sound. It seems kmix was the thing with some other adjustments that specified the input for my mic (front, rear) that obviously confused knoppix.
    The modprobe commands failed to find the module and the dmesg command clearly showed the wirelless but no sign of my ethernet card......
    So I guess no internet for me...
    By the way I am experiencing one more problem that no other disrto gave me. When I plug my usb stick nothing happens....

as to how long for new driver, no idea, i am no developer.
    sorry to hear that,hmm, thast usbstick SHOULD be recognized. what does dmesg say if you plug it in AFTER boot?
    should be something about USB and mass storage.

on dmseg everything seems to be there about usb and mass storage and everything.
    With knoppel the stick is found immidiatelly (but on knoppel i have no sound...older kernell i think).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast