Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cannot connect to internet through Lan..

Senior Member registered user
    Hi,

Could you post the output from: lsmod.

Just to see what modules are loaded.

Junior Member registered user
    actually i cannot because i can only connect to the internet through windows and I cannot use my usb stick to save the file to post it here. If u know another way...

do you have a floppydrive?
    in that case, incert a floppy klick the floppy icon (that mounts it)
    type
    Code:
    lsmod>/mnt/floppy/lsmod.txt
    rightclick the icon and select unmount, now you have the text output of lsmod on your floppy.

no floppy...sorry....

hmm, ok, do you see any of these in your output?
    ehci
    uhci
    ohci
    the comand dmesg saying anything on mass storage after you plug the pen in (not plugged in while booting)?

open a terminal (shell) and type:sudo modconf

You will be able to scroll down through t he kernel modules . when you get to one of interest you can hit enter to see if it's installed

see if kernel/driver/net/sk98lin has a plus sign or not
    see if kernel/drivers/usb/storage has + sign

the only other distro that might work that i can think of is kanotix but with two network interfaces your going to have to play with things. I'm surprised ubuntu didn't work. Can you remove / disable the wireless ( or get a wireless router )

Ok i did what you told me....here are the results.

lsmod (with and without the usb stick it was the same):
    usb storage -->0
    ohci_hcd-->0
    uhci_hcd-->0
    usbcore--> 5 usbhid, usb storage, ohci_hcd, uhci_hcd

I also found this : sk98lin-->0 (is this the driver for my net card??????)
    .................................................. .................................................. ....
    dmseg: Usb mass storage support registered
    .................................................. .................................................. ...
    Finally i did this...
    sudo modconf:
    I found sk98lin + and usb/storage +...... I unloaded both (closed the wirelless from the case button) reloaded them and what a surprize.....nothing.....
    .................................................. .................................................. ...

the presence of the sk98lin module suggests that the wired interface is having drivers loaded.

If you can disable the wireless before booting knoppix, get it out of the hardware picture, that would be worthwhile. You may have already tried that?

The other thing to do is to try and bring the wired interface up. From a shell type ifconfig and not the output. With the wireless enabled you would see entries for it (eth0) and the pc itself (lo).

Now type : sudo ifup eth1, and then ifconfig again to see if anything has changed. You can type : man ifup for info on that command.

BTW what happens if you boot without the nopcmcia option?

Ok i already have tried to boot with wireless disabled (through the switch on the laptop case) and what i got as a result (i dont remember at all the command i think it was ls something...anyway it ended with eth0...) was all zeros (00:00......etc..) for HWaddress (this is the mac right??).

If I boot without the nopcmcia I simply never boot...it stucks where it scans for pcmcia.

So, to see if I got u right u want me to go to a terminal and type sudo ifup eth1 and then ifconfig...I ll get back to u..

By the way..worst case scenario...if we dont make it (most likely) how long (more or less) would i have to wait for my laptop to become "mature" enough for linux...?

Basically what i'm guessing is that with both interfaces , knoppix for some reason defaults to the wireless one and brings it up as eth0. The ifup scheme is just to see whether the wired interface can be brought into operation as eth1, then made to work.

If you can disable the wireless before boot and you're getting eth0 messages then we should explore that more. Its possible that knoppix sees your wired interface as eth0 and it just needs to be configured. With wireless disabled do you see a entry for eth0 when you run ifconfig?

By the way..worst case scenario...if we dont make it (most likely) how long (more or less) would i have to wait for my laptop to become "mature" enough for linux...?
    It can probably be made to work, now, just need to find the right combination of things. As new versions of knoppix, kanotix , mepis and ubuntu are released you might find one that works "out of the box".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123