Thread: Version 4.0.1::Query on LiveCD Structure, Once Booted

Senior Member registered user

Version 4.0.1::Query on LiveCD Structure, Once Booted

Howdy ...

I'm curious about the way the directory structure of the Knoppix 4.0.1 LiveCD appears to be, once up and running.

I got the the dvd via a Linux magazine and have had no problems getting it to run. It even almost got my screen resolution correct on the first try. Just saving a personal config to the hd, with my existing XF86Config-4 file included, along with a few other personal configs/edits and all my usual issues were solved. Which mainly always involve font sizes (grin).

Remastering and the like is quite new to me, but i am experimenting and have cached quite a few files from the dvd forum section for later reading, but my trick in the past, specifically v3.3, was to do a manual copy of a running LiveCD to hd using "tar". Now i'm using "rsync" locally which works much more efficiently.

So, having just rsynced the whole running instance over to a 20 GB partition, with heaps of space left on the partition ... iv'e been wondering about the relationship between ...

/KNOPPIX
    and
    /UNIONFS

They seem to just repeat themselves.

Even though the output from "free" suggests that /KNOPPIX mounted on /dev/cloop used 5258024 1k blocks with 0% available and /UNIONFS mounted on /UNIONFS used 7915456 1k blocks with 802288 available.

Most all the main "root" directories symlink upto the "UNIONFS" mount, with "home" and "tmp" symlinking upto the in memory ramdisk "/ramdisk".

That all makes sense to me, but my question is ... what part does the /KNOPPIX mount play here. Is the /UNIONFS just a toggle of the /KNOPPIX mount after boot, with the later just remaining.

I'm planing on attempting to do some serious remastering with this image, especially as the initial success i had booting it up was impressive. I hope to be able to introduce my niece (13y), and nephew (10y) to a good, none-dumbed down, windowsy Linux with this and figure it will all work fine. I'm hoping to reformat it using the "squashfs" instead of "cloop" with a number of boot labels specific for there machines. So it will all just work for them with no mucking about.

I still need to look over all this quite a lot i know, but the curiousness of the KNOPPIX mount, which doesn't seem to be linked to the rest of the mounts is a bit of a "scratch the head" thing at the moment .

Possibly a brain-dead question i suppose, but i figured there may, or must, be some straight forward reason for this that i may be missing.

I was going to post this in the DVD forum but it appears to be "locked" ???. Why is that ?

All Feed Back Appreciated, of course ...

jm

edit: couple of spell edits

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Version 4.0.1::Query on LiveCD Structure, Once Booted

Quote Originally Posted by jjmac
    I was going to post this in the DVD forum but it appears to be "locked" ???. Why is that ?
    The DVD forum was created some time ago when there was only a DVD that had been released at a TAG show and some unofficial releases based on it. There was no official downloadable Knoppix DVD. Now that there has been an official DVD release, it doesn't sem to make sense to have an active DVD section any more than it would to have a Knoppix-CD section. It is hoped that rather than posting everything in the DVD forum just because a user has a DVD, that they will select a topic oriented group such as networking or booting, as most problems will better fit into these groups and will affect not only DVD users but CD users as well.

Unless you are asking this question because you are remastering, I would think the question would be a better fit in the booting forum or the general support forum. Would you like it moved?

The site owner, Eadz, locked the DVD forum back in October. The old posts are still available for reading, in the hope that they may be of use to some people.

Senior Member registered user
    Howdy,

Thanks for the response, iv'e been a bit sick lately, so, sorry for the response delay.

The dvd lock makes sense. Simple enough really i guess. After all, the whole site is a cd/dvd board .

If you think moving the post would be more appropriate for the post, then yes, do move it. My question mainly is to do with the post dvd boot directory structure rather than on "howto" remaster as such.

That is ...,

I'm noticing that the KNOPPIX directory appears to reflect the arrangement as per the KNOPPIX file on the dvd, where as the UNIONFS would seem to be the merging of that with my saved config "configs.tbz". I would have thought a symlink farm would have been used there rather than what appears, at first, to be a case of double handling.

I still have a lot of testing to do in this regard, so i expect most of those questions will be answered in course.

Thanks Again,

jm