Thread: testing remasted 4.0 with grub

Junior Member registered user

testing remasted 4.0 with grub

I've just finished remastering Knoppix. Now before I burn it to CD, I'd like to test it first. I read the item at the How-To and I also looked at the sections on harddrive install.

A little background...
    On the harddrive is installed WinXP and RH9. It has one harddrive with the following partitions:
    /dev/hda1 (windows boot fat16)
    /dev/hda2 (windows OS fat32)
    /dev/hda3 (the RH hardware browser puts the remaing partitions under this partition and doesn't say much else about this)
    /dev/hda5 (windows user files fat32)
    /dev/hda6 (linux boot)
    /dev/hda7 (linux swap)
    /dev/hda8 (all other linux files)
    (and no I don't know where hda4 is)
    Knoppix from the CD finds hda1,hda2,hda5,hda6,hda8

I followed the directions in the How-To. Only major things I did was change the background image, change the auto-config script to allow you to set the host name (from a post in this forum), and remove Openoffice, Apache, PHP, and MySQL. My remastered stuff is on /dev/hda8 under the knx directory as suggested in the How-To

Now I editied my grub.conf file to add the following:

title KNOPPIX
    root (hd0,7)
    kernel /knx/master/boot/isolinux/linux 2 fromhd=/dev/hda8/knx/source lang=us
    initrd /knx/master/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz

I reboot and select the new option from grub. Now it seems to boot fine. The kernel gets decompressed, it scans for USB/Firewire devices.

Then something horrible happens...
    It says
    Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
    Dropping you to a (very limited shell.
    Press reset button to quit
    I've tried playing with everything. I've narrowed the problem down to the value for fromhd=
    I tried moving the KNOPPIX directory to / of hda8 (which was suggested in the how to) and pointing fromhd there. I've tried putting on other partitions. However no matter what I try I still get that horrible error.

Does anyone know what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: testing remasted 4.0 with grub

Quote Originally Posted by stry_cat
    I've just finished remastering Knoppix. Now before I burn it to CD, I'd like to test it first.
    Maybe I'm just "old school", but rather than wonder if it's something with the remaster or a problem in the booting-from-iso nonsense, wouoldn't it be much simpler to test it by burning a CDRW?

Moderator Moderator

Re: testing remasted 4.0 with grub

I've just finished remastering Knoppix. Now before I burn it to CD, I'd like to test it first.
    After compiling your iso file and before burning a lot of CDs, you may consider
    trying it by booting from your ISO cd image file still stored in your hdd, cf:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796 & http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
    I use it almost every day when working on a remaster. It is actually a very fast way to boot knoppix.

I've tried playing with everything. I've narrowed the problem down to the value for fromhd=
    I tried moving the KNOPPIX directory to / of hda8 (which was suggested in the how to) and pointing fromhd there. I've tried putting on other partitions. However no matter what I try I still get that horrible error.
    Does anyone know what am I doing wrong?
    Knoppix by default looks for a compressed loop back file system called KNOPPIX
    in the KNOPPIX directory located in the root of the boot partition.
    If this is not the case, you must use the cheatcode knoppix_dir=other_KNOPPIX_directory
    and knoppix_name=other_KNOPPIX_name to let Knoppix know about your custom configuration.
    In your case, I assume that your local remaster is located in /dev/hda8/knx and not in /dev/hda8/KNOPPIX ...
    Hope this will help.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

Member registered user
    If you want to save CDs during testing I suggest old faithful qemu, better yet, if you have the dollars VMware. I do all my remastering and testing in a virtual environment.

I suspect ruymbeke is right, but before I play around with the grub.conf file again, I thought I'd make sure there wasn't a problem with the remastering of it. First test will be to remaster from the CD again, but make no changes. This is just to be sure the process still works with 4 as the How-to is for 3.x It's chugging away now.

I managed to get qemu installed. What I made that wouldn't boot under grub, will boot under qemu however it is really slow. Too slow to be useful.

Just to update everyone, ruymbeke was right. I just needed the right knoppix_dir and knoppix_name cheat codes.

Now if I could just figure out how to install software from another CD. In testing it, it seems to think my hda8 is the cdrom, so I still can't mount a different cdrom.