Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP: wired yes, wireless no

HELP: wired yes, wireless no

hi im using knoppix 4.0.2 on a dell inspiron 9300..
    well i started up knoppix and no go on wireless internet.. tried wlcardconfig put in LodeStarAir (name of wlan) as the essid and my password when it says encryption key and the rest blank. after that i did a pump -i eth0 and it said operation failed.
    booted up with network cable plugged in and internet worked fine. a pump now works on eth1 but not eth0

wired is eth1 wireless is eth0

Intel 2200 802.11 b/g wireless card

wireless works fine on windows

kwifimanager was scanning the networks so the card is detected and everything.
    is there any way to JUST SELECT what wireless network you want? you can see them all but cant connect like in windows and mac!
    i was surprised windows tops knoppix at this point...

any help would be great!
    thanks alot

Have you tried using iwconfig to configure your wireless NIC? If not, then try this: iwconfig eth0 essid 'LodeStarAir'.

alright i think ive isolated the problem... i dont know how to use iwconfig.
    if you look at the man page the "key" part of it says you have to do values such as "restricted" or "open"
    and something about hex codes... so im wondering where does the actual password go? do i have to have an all number password to make it a hex code?
    please just explain to me the "key/enc[ryption]" section of the iwconfig man page.

im sure the wireless and internet are all in good order.

THANKS VERY MUCH!!
    troy

Assuming that you're encrypting your traffic, you're going to want to do something like this:
    iwconfig eth0 key restricted YOUR_KEY.
    Afterwards, it should prompt you for a password if necessary.

so then is there a difference between an encryption key and a password?

Does your Access Point want a WEP or WPA key? I was under the impression kwifimanager only support configuring WEP keys. There doesn't seem to be a gui with any distro for configuring wireless with WPA rather than WEP. I have got WPA based encryption working under Gentoo linux but you don't really want to go there as it is totally manual install and configure (no guis). I can't really give much assistance here based on the knowledge I have gained from Gentoo because different linux distros configure the structure of their /etc differently.

If I work it out for Knoppix I will post back here. Can you also do likewise so we can help each other out.

In answer to your previous post the correct term is a key not a password.

hey i use gentoo myself... i do know a good bit of linux so a gui-less setup is okay...
    i think all i need is to find out how to use iwconfig... can it work with wpa?
    the key section in the man page is a little hard to understand.
    i do have a wpa personal encrypted wireless network.

I as well am having problems figuring out how to log in using WPA encryption and can not seem to find any articles on the KNOPPIX DVD explaining how to do so. Any response would be greatly appreciated. Really do not want to have to downgrade to WEP encryption.

I'm having a very similar problem, I think.

I tried some of the suggestions in this thread, and the ones above, and none of it seems to work.

What does work?

Using KWiFiManager, I have a full green bar, and it's telling me I've got an active connection. It properly lists the router's SSID and its MAC address, so I know that there is some communication going on between the machine and the wireless card. The lights are on, and certain functions make them go blinky. I just can't get an IP address.

However, when I go to ifconfig, it does not list eth0, which is my wireless card. Using ifup/ifdown eth0 results in my being told that interface eth0 not configured. Now, iwconfig knows about it. Lists everything. Puts odd dashes into my encryption key (because I am using WEP).

Any suggestions? The laptop's a bit of a pain, and nothing ever works the first time. I'm just knowledgeable enough to get myself in trouble.

Member registered user

Dell 9300

Hi Guys,

Exact same problem here! NIC works fine but no wireless. I'm using Kanotix 2005-04.
    WPA support is in /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant, but I haven't tried it yet. I just
    want to connect to an open AP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast