Thread: New to Knoppix Seeking help 3.4

New to Knoppix Seeking help 3.4

Hi

I recently Bought a Book containing The knoppix 3.4 cd. Being new to linux I was intreged and happy to have found a good alternative to windows XP. After haveing problems with my first boot i seeked help withen IRC. Unfortunatly i am Blocked from the Knoppix Channel yet i have never been there prior. With this i went to the linux channel and sought successfull help and booted Knoppix no problem (framebuffer was wrong had to boot with fb1024x76

Being eagerly pleased with knoppix i cosmetically configured it to my liking saved them to my primary hd and pated myself on the back. A day later I booted from the CD using the Tohd cheat with success. After Some Playing i noticed a few problems i didnt know how to fix or what has cuased them.

1) I cannot write to ither HDs nor USB pendrives Which i have been told Is defualt withen knoppix. With this i was informed Edit my Fstab File but not told how to, what to edit on it and with the not being able to write to HD how to save it.

2) I cannot access my CD Drives or my Floppy drive. When Selected i get the error CDROM does not exist. Upon investigation all three files withen mnt/ apear to be Lock Icons. Upon clicking i get the error This file no longer exists.

3) Since i am using the 3.4 CD i expected old versions of software. I wish to Update Dillo and game. Is this possible with how i am using knoppix?

4) How do i get Myself unbanned in the Knoppix channel? I have never been there yet am banned. I have been told this is becuase somone withen the area i live has put up more then a fight for them to ban where i live? I honestly do not know anything about IRC and wish further explanation so i can be outa the noob clouds.

Any Help will be Much Apreciated

Administrator Site Admin-
    1) Look for desktop icons for the partitions in question. right click on them and use the actions sub-menu to make them writeable. Do not even try to write to an NTFS partition, it is only readable in Knoppix.

2) Tell us more about your floppy drive. It's not clear what is happening here. See #1 above also. As to the CD, how are you trying to write files to it?

3) You'll have old versions of a lot of things, including Knoppix itself. Knoppix, being a Live CD, is best updated by downloading a new version with BitTorrent. See the Get Knoppix link near the top of this page and read the downloading faq found by follwing the Documentation link that is next to it. Knoppix, when installed to hard disk, tends to break badly whenever you try to update software; this is a design choice that was made for reasons that serve the Live CD well but not an "installed" version. Again you could follow the documentatio link and read the notes about HD install, including the warning not to.

4) No idea.

Senior Member registered user
    I don't understand if you are talking about a 'fromhd' install or 'full' install. You have made an 'tohd' but seems to me that your issues are typical of a ' regular-full install'.
    As concern issue 2 I think you have to edit your /etc/fstab file and create new device-icons on your desktop. I've got many helps for my devices issues in this posts:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17348
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...&highlight=pen
    To update your apps you can uninstall and reinstall them following the apt-get remove/install procedure (after an apt-get update, of course).
    Obviusly what I've suggested can be applied to a 'full-install' and I guess not to a 'tohd install'.

I do not think You Read my post clearly. I said i cannot write to my HDs And i cant Bring up my CD drives or floppy drive With konquerer (Spelling?)

As for my install, I did the one that copys the CD image to a Knoppix Folder on HD Inwhich both are Fat32. I have to boot from CD and type in fromhd Which i wanted to do for more speed and to lessen the wieght on my CDrom.

Also I did not state another thing which i now know i should of. All these problems exist even when booting as a liveCD.

^_^ Many thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard_The_Dex
    All these problems exist even when booting as a liveCD.
    That's good, I hadn't realized that you were even trying to do a hard disk install, which usually adds complications to Knoppix (although booting from the still compressed image is less likey to add problems). But does your posting back imply that you somehow can't use the right click technique I gave above to make partitions writeable, even when booting from CD? If so this would be the first time I ever heard of it failing. What happens? And what are youir responses to part #2?

Your solution to #1 worked on my primary and secondary computer and my secondary computer is reading my floppy drive fine(which i did not test till now).

On My primary computer i still cannot access my CD drives or Floppy drive. I have no clue whats wrong with them and I looked at those forums but am only confused more by them.

Your solution to #1 worked on my primary and secondary computer and my secondary computer is reading my floppy drive fine(which i did not test till now).
    OK, good, that much is understood.
    On My primary computer i still cannot access my CD drives or Floppy drive. I have no clue whats wrong with them and I looked at those forums but am only confused more by them.
    So do you see a floppy icon on the primary computer like you do with the second computer and just can't open it, or is there a different problem? Is the floppy hooked to a normal floppy interface or is it USB or something even stranger? Was there a readable floppy in the drive when you booted the CD?

What does can't access CD mean? Are you trying to read from the CD or write to it? I don't have much experience in this area since my religion forbids installing Knoppix to hard disk, but at least knowing what you are trying to do might help.

Ah never mind i have solved manya problems it seems the automount feature is Badly slow and takes atleast 10 mins to show the CD file in the mnt folder. How can i turn this off?

Also I have a new problem which i know you guys can help me with. I got a blank 20gig in fat32 in which i want a linux swap partition on. I did the Knoppix swap config and it just made a 128MB file on my HD. Is this correct? I got 320MB of ram but i wanna be safe.