Thread: VMWare 4.0 and Knoppix 3.2 problems

VMWare 4.0 and Knoppix 3.2 problems

I have encountered 2 problems: text mode and network

Text video mode:
    Knoppix boots successfully under VMWare 4.0, has audio, and boots in a nice 1024x768 color mode.
    However, when I try to go to a text console (outside X) to run knx-hdinstall, VMWare overlays half of the screen with something resembling a text mode, but with a very small font, so it's almost absolutely unreadable.

Network:
    VMWare correctly identifies the network card and that the IP is taken via DHCP. However, no browsing or any network activity is possible afterwards.

I haven't changed any knoppix options or vmware options, and I hope that someone has already discovered a solution to these problems.

Thanks in advance.

I would like to add that I have tested the same Knoppix CD with VirtualPC. It works great (although Knoppix couldn't discover audio automatically), and has none of the problems with VMWare I mentioned.
    However, VMWare seems to have better performance -- both video and CPU, although the HDD performance is the same I think.
    Hope this additional info helps.

Senior Member registered user

Re: VMWare 4.0 and Knoppix 3.2 problems

--I am still using vmware 3.x, but you can try this:

o boot Knoppix with: ' knoppix 2 vga=normal ', then do the knx-hdinstall. You don't need the GUI overhead for an install, it wastes CPU cycles and memory.

--Network; well, I've only gotten networking up and running *recently* in 3.x despite having it for over 2 years. Never had any luck with DHCP (linux or win), so I use Bridged networking and static IP addresses. (have to ' killall pump ' and ifconfig eth0 manually.) Dynamic IP's might make sense for Win, but for *nix you have the capability to login/access the box remotely, so it's easier to maintain a static IP list in /etc/hosts for all my machines.

--Best of luck, keep us informed...

Quote Originally Posted by vesselinpeev
    I have encountered 2 problems: text mode and network

Text video mode:
    Knoppix boots successfully under VMWare 4.0, has audio, and boots in a nice 1024x768 color mode.
    However, when I try to go to a text console (outside X) to run knx-hdinstall, VMWare overlays half of the screen with something resembling a text mode, but with a very small font, so it's almost absolutely unreadable.

Network:
    VMWare correctly identifies the network card and that the IP is taken via DHCP. However, no browsing or any network activity is possible afterwards.

I haven't changed any knoppix options or vmware options, and I hope that someone has already discovered a solution to these problems.

Thanks in advance.

thanks!

thanks!that font part is very helpful,thanks again!!!! whee!!!!!!!!