Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: not connected to internet

Junior Member registered user
    hi tdjokic,

wow maybe i already have a router! yes that is my modem, but i did not think it had/was a router. on my modem it reads "ADSL 2+ 4-port Gateway" and it never occured to me that "Gateway" could mean router. (does it?) so how can i find out if i already have a router? i feel im getting closer and closer to the knoppix exerience here.....

update: i reread my manual for the modem and it says that of the four LAN ports only one is for computers (which i now use), two others for future services and one for digital TV. to say that im comfused will be an understatement. so now i think that i do *not* have router and that i will need to buy one. sorry for being such a n00b, im really trying to learn and i appreciate your help.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by billabill
    wow maybe i already have a router! yes that is my modem, but i did not think it had/was a router. on my modem it reads "ADSL 2+ 4-port Gateway" and it never occured to me that "Gateway" could mean router. (does it?) so how can i find out if i already have a router? i feel im getting closer and closer to the knoppix exerience here.....

update: i reread my manual for the modem and it says that of the four LAN ports only one is for computers (which i now use), two others for future services and one for digital TV. to say that im comfused will be an understatement. so now i think that i do *not* have router and that i will need to buy one. sorry for being such a n00b, im really trying to learn and i appreciate your help.
    Don't appologize about being a noob, I consider myself pretty experienced with home routers but I'm unclear on what you have. The discription of ports for TV and "future services" is pretty strange. In general a router should not care what is connected to any port, it should just be an ethernet connection to it. This might change slightly if they have built in certain port forwarding rules, but one would hope that this is user configurable.

Here are a few things that you can do:

Under Windows, look to see what IP address window thinks you have. Do not use websites like checkip.dyndns.org or www.grc.com to determine the IP address; look at ipconfig under Windows (reached by the command line). If it is a 192.168.xxx.xxx address or a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx address then you have a NAT router. If it is the same address that the above URLs give you then you do not have a NAT router, or at least the NAT feature is not enabled.

See if you can bring up a web pages of router configuration information at 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 or 10.0.0.1 by putting those addresses into your browser (the third digit will match what ipconfig reports). If so you can use that setup information to configure and learn about your router.

Try plugging the computer's ethernet cable into a different port and reboot the computer. See if other ports let you get a Internet connection (they will on a normal NAT router, any local port can be used by any computer, generally the only special port is the one that goes to the modem and in your case the modem is in the same box so there is no port that goes to the modem).

hi harry

i tried rebooting from two of the other ports (2:digital tv,3:future service), none worked. could not connect to the internet. from ipconfig i got a different address from the ones you posted, and it was the same as from the two websites. so i got the same ip from all three.

i didn't understand what you meant about the router configuration information, i tried putting those numbers in my browser but nothing happened. no webpages found. im sure i did something wrong here...

so maybe its like you say that i really have a router but that it is configured by my ISP to use only one port? weird....

knoppix:2
    billabill:0

next time knoppix...... whoahahahahha

hi harry

i tried rebooting from two of the other ports (2:digital tv,3:future service), none worked. could not connect to the internet. from ipconfig i got a different address from the ones you posted, and it was the same as from the two websites. so i got the same ip from all three.

i didn't understand what you meant about the router configuration information, i tried putting those numbers in my browser but nothing happened. no webpages found. im sure i did something wrong here...

so maybe its like you say that i really have a router but that it is configured by my ISP to use only one port? weird....

billabill:0

next time knoppix...... whoahahahahha
    Yes, this seems to be a very strange device. If you get the same IP address with ipconfig under windows as checkip.dundns.org shows you then you are not behind a NAT router. This being the case I would still suggest getting an inexpensive NAT router. It's not at all clear to me what you device is really doing beyond the normal modem function.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Harry,

yes i got the same ip from all three, no kidding. it's strange, im sure the modem has been brainwashed by my ISP to only work with their setup on windows (i got the modem from my isp).
    in the manual for the modem it says that i can *only* use port one for computers, not the other three, and that if i want to use more than one computer i will need a router. so i guess it's the case i do not have a router after all. i will buy a router and see if i can get it to work. maybe ill be back on this thread to tell y'all how it went.

thanks for your help and patience.

d-link di-604

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=62

will this router do the trick you think?

d-link di-604
    will this router do the trick you think?
    It will do the job. I know someone that has one. It's an oK router, not the best but better than many. It's wired only, not wireless, so I hope that you are getting it at a very good price. But if you are happy with the price then yes it certainly will do the things we have discussed a router doing.

The link that you give leads to a copy of the product manual. I suggest that you read it before buying to get a better idea of what features this router has and what it does not have. Also note that there are multiple versions of the 604 with different procesors and firmware. I'm assuming that you are talking about the newest Rev E hardware and firmware, but that's only a guess.

It is only fair to mention that just Friday there was an article in Slashdot about a problem with many D-link routers. Seems they poorly designed the way they pick time servers and use some servers that they should not, with the list of servers used hard coded in the router firmware. And they seem unwilling to correct this even though it likely will cause at least one server to be shut down. This router is one of the known problem routers in this area. I'm not saying that this is a good enough reason not to get the router, just that anyone considering buying a Dlink should know about it.

thx harry,

maybe the D-Link DI-704P is a better deal? it's about the same price, and it wasn't mentioned specifically in the article from slashdot. about the specifications, all i really need is to connect to internet with linux, no wireless needed, and only one desktop computer.

what do you think, should i go for it?

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=63

maybe the D-Link DI-704P is a better deal?...
    what do you think, should i go for it?
    just a few quick observations: Although the 704 might not be listed in the open letter, my guess is that it would be affected too, it seems closely related to the other router. I couldn't find a manual for the 704 at that link (which seems strange), so its hard to do a side by side comparison. The 704 seems about the same except that it includes a networked print server, but that's very likely something I would never use (that print server is not Linux supported and, if I'm running Windows, a windows box will share it's printer with other Windows systems just fine, And it only supports parallel printers, while the last few I bought were usb only. I see no reason to add extra complexity with the print server). If you can find the 704 manual I would list features side by side and see if you give up anything to get the print server. I guess at the exact same price I would take the one with the print server over one without it even though I don't expect I would use it, but if I had to pay any more or give up any other feature to get the print server I would stick with the 604,
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

i couldn't wait anymore so i ordered the 604 just now. hopefully i will be able to use knoppix in one or two days. exciting! thanks again for your help. i'll be back when (if!) i have some more problems.

billabill:1

getting closer.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast