Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: not connected to internet

Junior Member registered user

not connected to internet

hiya

linux-newbie here, so please be gentle.

i have a dvd with knoppix 4.0.1 which im trying to use with my pII 350 mhz win98 computer. i can boot it, which is really cool, but it will not connect to the internet. when i try to configure adsl it says the access concentrator of your provider did not respond and on firefox it says webpage could not be found. i have a 2MB adsl connection, and the network card is recognized as 3c59x (i have 3c 900B-Combo).

sorry if this is not enough info, i will gladly provide more if i know what to look for. please please help, i want to use linux! thanks.

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: not connected to internet

Quote Originally Posted by billabill
    --- and on firefox it says webpage could not be found. i have a 2MB adsl connection, and the network card is recognized as 3c59x (i have 3c 900B-Combo).
    Sounds like you may be helped by my generic answer #4.

Thanks Harry, I will get myself a router. Forgot to say that I use a zyxel prestige 600 series modem also, but maybe that makes no difference?

BAB

Forgot to say that I use a zyxel prestige 600 series modem also, but maybe that makes no difference?
    It does make a difference in that many newer DSL modems include built in routers. Some times they are there but not enabled. I don't know about your particular modem; I'll leave you to research that.

Without a router you need to run PPPoE software (or other protocol software in parts of Europe). While Knoppix has PPPoE support I've never used it and as I said I really can't understand trying to run without a router any more.

Thanks again Harry. It seems my modem (660h) does not have a router built in, while some other zyxel modems have (660hw,662hw). So I will buy a router. Anything I should know when buying a router or can I just buy a router?

Anything I should know when buying a router or can I just buy a router?
    Many routers have somewhat different features, so there are reasons to pick one over another. But if you are new to this and don't have particular needs then I would shop price. There are often rebate deals that make some routers so cheap that you can afford to get one as a starter router and learn more, then later get a more expensixe router with special features (such as vpn support). Many low cost routers now have wireless support, even higher speed 802.11g support, and my personal choice would be to buy one with wireless support even if I didn't have a current use for it if it costs no more than a wired router. If not getting a rebate special then I would also suggest that most router manuals can be found on-line and reading over the manuals for your canidates may give you an idea of the differences between units (but you'll better appreciate these differences after you start using a router). I'll personally say that I have not liked the Belkin routers that I've used, but other models may not have the problems I've seen in the ones I have used. I do like trhe featutres of most DLink routers, but avoid the now discontinued DL514. And you can always post back here asking about certain models that you are considering. You'll also find that there are a lot of very active discussion groups broken out by vendor at broadbandreports.com where the group members are quite active in giving out there experience with various router models.

I've tended to see the best deals lately at CompUSA or Staples. Both start their new sale cycle on Sunday.

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    I really can't understand trying to run without a router any more.
    It's easy to understand in my country, my town, I can buy router:

D-Link DSL-502T Ethernet/USB ADSL Router for 58.00 euros or Ethernet modem
    D-Link DSL-300T Ethernet, modem only, for 18.80 euros.

I run PPPoE softver from Linux and have no problem with ADSL conection. I am aware that it's a kind of "emergency solution", but for me, for the moment it is the only solution.

Quote Originally Posted by tdjokic
    D-Link DSL-502T Ethernet/USB ADSL Router for 58.00 euros or Ethernet modem
    D-Link DSL-300T Ethernet, modem only, for 18.80 euros.
    The combo DSL modems and routers are actually much more expensive than that here, you're getting great bargans on DSL modems. Stand alone routers have become extremely inexpensive here. I bought my first simple 4 port wired router about 6 years ago for over $100 US. Now we can frequently buy wired/wireless routers for under $5 after rebate. Since none of these devices are made in this country I can't understand why they would not be available at similar prices in Europe, but I do know from other conversations that such is not always the case. Still, even at my over $100 price the router that I bought was a bargan when one considers both the utility it provides and the added security of a NAT firewall. I certainly would never run any Windows system on a high speed connection without a router, and it's not a bad idea to protect your Linux systems too.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Thanks for the info Harry

I have this local computer store and they usually have "just what i need" so i, hoping ill be lucky this time too. Or i will try and find something on the net. I'm really looking forward to using knoppix with internet, and with my new router. I will check out some routers on your recommendation and post back if (when?) i have some problems. Thank you very much for your help.

edit: sorry i didn't see the last two posts, but i guess my answer still applies.

Senior Member registered user
    Is this your 660h?

http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/84..._2___MODEM.asp

ZyXEL P-660H series is an all-in-one affordable router, compatible with high-speed ADSL, ADSL2 and ADSL2+ interfaces over existing copper lines. ....

Maybe you have router already?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast