Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knoppix v kanotix

Senior Member registered user

knoppix v kanotix

I have been reading a few scattered posts and reasons throughout the forum mentioning why kanotix is better than knoppix for hard drive installations. My main question here is what about knoppix makes it unsuited for hard drive installations about what about kanotix makes it better for hard drive installations, in other words what packages cause the difference? Also any reasons why you personally think kanotix is better for hard drive installations would be appreciated

Safer / Easier Upgrades with Kanotix

Knoppix is a beautiful package of Debian, Gnome, Gtk, etc. It becomes kind of Debian-esq when you do a HD install because it has a lot of Debian in it. Enough so that you can "apt-get" Debian packages for it. Even "apt-get update" it. But a wholesale "upgrade" all at once will break it because of the mix. You can even use Synaptic package manager with it. Perhaps that gives people false confidence.

Sure it's easy to do a HD install for Knoppix. Once done, update your software very carefully. No apt-get upgrades! But folks seem to ignore this advice. I see posts all the time of HD-installers crying becuase their Knoppix HD install broke after an "Apt-Get Upgrade." Isn't that evidence enough? Avoid all the potentional problems and just do Kanotix.

Kanotix is almost all Debian and Mr. Kano has put a lot of work into his latest release in letting one actually upgrade your version of a HDD install. It's a live CD DESIGNED to be installed to be put on the HD. It is quite special that way. So, if you want to do a HD install, Kanotix is a no-brainer.

sakiZ

sakiZ: Excellent reply. I vote for this to become a "sticky" item in the hdd-install section.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by angor
    sakiZ: Excellent reply. I vote for this to become a "sticky" item in the hdd-install section.
    Stickies were handy when the wiki was down, but we've really been trying to cut down on stickies since we switched to the new wiki software.The number of stickies in many forums was cluttering the forums and many have been unstuck and the data added to the wiki, or at least a pointer back to the forum thread. There are already 3 sticky messages at the top of the hdd forum. To my way of thinking all of that data should be moved to the wik where it can be indexed cleranly and organizedi and a single sticky could be at the top of the hdd forum pointing new users to the hdd sections of the wiki. If you think this is really good and valid information then you might want to edit it into a wiki article. If you would want to move all of the current hdd articles into the wiki then I would be glad to unstick them and make stickie a single summary article in their place that provides links to the wiki.

thankyou for for all of the information all who posted especially sakiZ, very clear for newbies like me and informative about the structure of the OS, I will be giving kanotix a try very soon and will probably end up using it for hard drive installation once I have learned/relearned enough about linux from live cd usage to more or less abandon windows and move to hard drive installation of a linux distro.

After One + Year

After One + Year of doing Knoppix, Linux I'm still trying to break out of newbie mode.

ha!

sakiZ

I moved from 5% Linux LiveCD to 100% after installing Kanotix to HD in December. I dist-upgrade daily and have upgraded the kernel twice - no blue or black screens, no freezes/forced reboots, everything just works! Kanotix seems 'faster' in most respects than Windows for the same activities and I can't see any advantage of using Windows except possibly for photographic workflow; I can do everything I want from Raw conversion, negative scanning, image manipulation, panorama stitching, printing (driver achieves better results than maker's Windows driver!) and can even use a Windows noise reduction programme under Wine, but it is a little slower than what I've achieved previously. I'd recommend Kanotix for a HD install. The install GUI is excellent; I went for a separate /home partition to simplify future upgrades although the install GUI allows you to protect specific drives/folders.

drb

Nothing breaks your system as much as deleting root after creating an equivelant user, and then accidentally setting their account to be inactive. Heh. Had to bust out a rescue cd. 4 minute fix with Lunar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    Nothing breaks your system as much as deleting root after creating an equivelant user, and then accidentally setting their account to be inactive. Heh. Had to bust out a rescue cd. 4 minute fix with Lunar.

Aha, maybe, but, you obviously haven't tried a ...

yes | rm /lib/*

And then do a re-boot

jm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast