Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to allow logon to the Knoppix machine via Telnet and ftp

Senior Member registered user
    Looks like it's going to be a challenge to have the telnetd and ftpd up and running.

Anyway, I have the putty and psftp up and running on the windows xp box and ssh on the knoppix box right now. The putty.exe and psftp.exe are small in size so I can alway put them on a pen drive or floppy with me.

I need to do more research on the newsgroup before I can proceed for the attempt to put ftpd and telnetd back to the knoppix.

Rgds,
    Chip

I did my first trial to install ftpd on the top of a running Knoppix but fail.

My original plan was download a binary ftpd package and install the package on the top of the Knoppix I'm running.

With my windows XP laptop connected to the internet, went to the http://packages.debian.org/stable/allpackages.html site but cannot download the binary package. So I decided to go the hard way, download the source tar file from the site. (linux-ftpd_0.17.orig.tar.tar)

Then I connect my XP box to the local network I had with the Knoppix box, sftp the file to the Knoppix box to the directory /home/knoppix/tmp

Expand the tar file by "tar -xvf linux-ftpd_0.17.orig.tar.tar"

The whole source was expanded to /home/knoppix/tmp/linux-ftpd-0.17

There are two more directories within the directory linux-ftdp-0.17, one is support and the other is ftpd. I went into both of the directories and find they have some c programs in there. Both directory has their own Makefile. The ftpd Makefile references to the support directory. So I start compile the support one first.

Went to the support directory and type in "make".

Error came back complaining the first line on the Makefile "include ../MCONFIG". Check the parent directory, there is no such file called MCONFIG, but instead there is one called MCONFIG.in. I edited the Makefile to point to the MCONFIG.in file and re-try again.

No good, this time complained about missing separator in the MCONFIG.in file. So I commended out the line "include ../MCONFIG"

Try again, this time compilation went through. I inspect the directory, all the object files are there.

Went to the ftpd directory, did the same thing and also need to change the 1st line of the Makefile, (i.e. commented out the include ../MCONFIG line)

But this time the compilation cannot finish, I got the error message

ftpd.o: In function 'pass':
    ftpd.c: (.text+0x121e): undefined reference to 'crypt'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [ftpd] Error 1

I don't have much knowlege on the Makefile nor the compile of programs so I just stop here. But I feel it maybe related to the 1st line I commented out on the Makefile.

Because when I browse the MCONFIG.in file, the content is as follows

### begin of the file
    # Dirs
    INSTALLROOT
    SBINDIR
    MANDIR

# Modes
    DAEMONMODE
    MANMODE

# Compiling
    ALLWARNINGS
    CC
    CFLAGS
    LDFLAGS
    LIBS
    YACC

# Features
    BSDSIGNAL
    SHADOW
    FN(crypt)
    FN(snprintf)
    TYPE(socklen_t)

### End of the file

I suspect the problem related to the MCONFIG.in file because the error message I got containing the word 'crypt' which I can find on the MCONFIG.in file.

Has anybody encounter this problem before and know how to solve it?

Rgds,
    Chip

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by chip.ling
    I did my first trial to install ftpd on the top of a running Knoppix but fail.
    If you feel that you must add software to the live CD, try this suggestion:
    • Go to the KLIK forum and read about Klik.

Go to the Klik website and see if there isn't a FTP package thay can make just for you and download to your system.

If for some extremely strange reason there is not a FTP package available, post a message asking for one. Probono is great about such things and is extremely like to help you out.

Thanks for the direction.

Rgds,
    Chip

Administrator Site Admin-
    I just want to add to this that the Knoppix CD package list (as well as the DVD list) shows that the ftp server ftpd is included on the CD. But I can't find how to start it or how to configure it on a live CD (which makes one wonder why even waste the space). Typing ftpd at a shell prompt doesn't seem to find it.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

In that case, I believe the program ftpd is inside the CD. Just don't know how to retrieve it back so that the Linux FS can see it.

Both in.ftpd and in.telnetd are present under /usr/sbin. By default, inetd is not started, though. Just issue (as root) "/etc/init.d/inetd restart". This will start inetd, which has a line to enable the ftp service. By default ftpd is under control of tcpd, which means you need to adjust /etc/hosts.allow and/or /etc/hosts.deny to allow other systems to connect (localhost seems alright). You can also run ftpd without tcpd supervision by replacing /usr/sbin/tcpd directly by /usr/sbin/in.ftpd - no need to tamper with the /etc/hosts.* files in this case. I could not get a similar trick to work for telnetd, though; it seems to insist on using SSL...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    I just want to add to this that the Knoppix CD package list (as well as the DVD list) shows that the ftp server ftpd is included on the CD. But I can't find how to start it or how to configure it on a live CD (which makes one wonder why even waste the space). Typing ftpd at a shell prompt doesn't seem to find it.
    Harry, I finally made the ftpd works. Here is what I did.

Step 1: start the machine with Knoppix on the cd rom and have the network portion setup. (i.e. IP address of the machine is defined). Also add passwd to root and knoppix.

Step 2: Edit the hosts.deny and hosts.allow files

sudo vi /etc/hosts.deny
    (delete the line 'ALL:PARANOID' and save the file)

sudo vi /etc/hosts.allow
    (modify the line 'ALL : ALL@ALL : DENY' to 'ALL : ALL@ALL : ALLOW' and save the file)

(Or define the machines you can logon to the host in the hosts.allow file, that should be the way for security purpose).

Step 3: sudo /etc/init.d/inetd restart

Step 4: from a remote machine, start the ftp client and connect to the knoppix host using the knoppix. Now the ftp server is up and running in the knoppix machine. I can connect to the knoppix box via ftp.

I still not able to make telnet server up and running but I use ssh instead at this point.

Step 5: sudo /etc/init.d/ssh start

ssh is up and running and I can connect to the knoppix host via putty from the other windows Xp machine. I test both the ssh connection and the ftp connect and they can be both exist without conflict.

Rgds,
    Chip

If you knoppix-install to a harddrive, the ssh client is up and running by default - so you can ssh to another ssh server.

If you want a knoppix-installered box to be a ssh server, simply open a root shell and issue the following commandline:

Code:
    update-rc.d ssh defaults
    and your ssh server should be up and running. This should setup sshd correctly for you. BTW, you only have to do this once on any given ssh server you want to set up.

I have a knoppix-installered LAN for my computer science students. I setup up one box as a ssh server that they can all log-into from anywhere in the school and from home to compete their work and save their files. They use ssh userid@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx from a shell and fish://userid@xxx.xxx.xxxxxx from Konqueror mostly. Sometimes, we'll use sftp as well.

HTH,
    AJG

[quote="chip.lingI finally made the ftpd works. [/quote]

Oop, just find a little problem. Using the steps I mentioned before, 'knoppix' id is the only id I can logon to the knoppix box via ftp.

I created another user account, able to use that id/password connect to the knoppix box via putty. But when I tried to logon to the knoppix box by ftp using the newly created account. I got a '530 Login incorrect. Login failed' ftp error.

Then I tried to use the 'root' account and it reponsed back with the same error message.

Anyone knows how to fix it? I am thinking maybe the newly created account need to be in a special group. But then what group it should be in?

Rgds,
    Chip

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast