Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to allow logon to the Knoppix machine via Telnet and ftp

Senior Member registered user

How to allow logon to the Knoppix machine via Telnet and ftp

I am trying to setup a local test network with 2 computers and a switch. It will not connect to the internet so security is not an issue.

One computer running Knoppix and the other running Windows XP.

Both computers connect to the switch. I use ifconfig command to set up the ip address and subnet mask of the Knoppix box and also through windows to setup the windows machine's ip.

I can ping both machines (windows one ping to the knoppix one and vice versa)

Now I want to telnet and ftp to the Knoppix box from the windows box. But I have no luck at all.

Any one can tell me what I need to setup to achieve this? Thank you.

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: How to allow logon to the Knoppix machine via Telnet and

Quote Originally Posted by chip.ling
    Any one can tell me what I need to setup to achieve this? Thank you.
    Assuming that your setting are correct (I have no reason to think that they are not), all you need is a FTP server on one side and a FTP client on the other. Knoppix has Konquror that works just fine as a FTP client, so I suggest installing a FTP server on the windows box. You should then be able to log into the server by putting ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xx into the Konquror address bar (where the x's are the IP address of the windows box).

You might want to tell us what you have done and what is not working, as it's hard to guide you in what you are doing wrong without this information.

Alright, here's the detail:

2 PCs hook up to a five ports switch with straight thru cat 5 cables.

One PC running Win XP, the other Knoppix V4.0.2 (boot from CD)

Boot up both machine so Win XP and Knoppix X-window are up and running.

Win XP machine:
    1. set up the TCP/IP setting to: IP address=192.168.255.1, Subnet mask=255.255.255.0, default gateway=none.
    2. Start the Telnet service (control panel ==> admin tools ==> services).

Knoppix machine:
    1. Start Shell-Konsole session.
    2. Type in the command, ifconfig and then hit enter. I see the lo is ready at inet address 127.0.0.1 with mask 255.0.0.0.
    3. Setup the eth0 using the following command.
    sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.255.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.255.255

From the Win XP machine:
    1. open the DOS box and ping 192.168.255.2
    2. Ping result is good.

From the Knoppix machine:
    1. ping 192.168.255.1
    2. Ping result is good.

*** Sound like a good beginning ***

From the Knoppix machine:
    1. telnet 192.168.255.1
    2. It starts the telnet session and the following prompt returns and ask for login id:
    Welcome to Microsoft Telnet Service
    login

I am not interest to telnet to the Win XP machine, so I do not setup user id on the Win XP. I control-C and back to the shell.
    But I'm sure I can telnet to the Win box.

*** Note: so far so good up until here ***

Now I want to setup and start the telnet service on the Knoppix box.

From the Knoppix box:
    1. sudo vi /etc/inetd.conf
    2. I view the inetd.conf file, here are the related services entries. (I skip the rest not related)
    ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/inftpd
    tftp dgram upd wait root /usr/sbin/in.tftpd in.tftpd /boot
    #<off># telnets stream tcp nowait sslwrap.sslwrap /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/sslwrap -nocert -addr 127.0.0.1 -port 23
    #<off># ftps-data stream tcp nowait sslwrap.sslwrap /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/sslwrap -nocert -addr 127.0.0.1 -port 20
    #<off># ftps stream tcp nowait sslwrap.sslwrap /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/sslwrap -nocert -addr 127.0.0.1 -port 21
    3. I delete the three "#<off>#" from the inetd.conf and then save the file.
    4. sudo /etc/init.d/inetd reload
    5. The system responses back: Reloading internet superserver: inetd.

*** Seems OK to me ****
    6. ps -ef
    7. Cannot find any process related to telnetd or ftpd. (Is it normal???)

*** Don't sound good to me ***
    8. Try to start telnet from the WinXP box to the Knoppix box (that's what I really want)
    9. From DOS: telnet 192.168.255.2
    10. Got the following error message:
    Connecting to 192.168.255.2...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed.

*** Try other stupid way and see if it works ***
    1. add the following entry to the inetd.conf file
    telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
    2. sudo /etc/init.d/inetd reload
    3. Try again but the same result.

*** Revisit the port 23 definition entry on the inetd.conf file ***
    It says:
    telnets stream tcp nowait sslwrap.sslwrap /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/sslwrap -nocert -addr 127.0.0.1 -port 23

I notice the unusual "sslwrap" words are there, does that means the telnet in Knoppix is not function as the old telnet we used to use? Looks like it tries to use some kind of secure shell type of authentication checking here.

Any body has any input? What is my next step in order to make my telnet run?

Rgds
    Chip

OK Chip, good information there. You clearly have the network going and the XP firewall in sp2 is not givig you any problems. I have never enabled telenet in Knoppix so can't tell you how to do that, but I've seen many people talking about telenet or a terminal server, I would expect that you can find plenty of info with the site search function. As to FTP I have looked for a FTP server on the CD but never found one (not at all sure about the DVD). Since I already have FTP servers that I run on Windows I just went the other way and used Knoppix as the client (whoch Konquror works great for). But it would be nice to know if there is a FTP server on the CD or DVD; I hope someone who has managed to get one to work will join in.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Harry,

You reminds me. I never check the existence of such programs I want to use, I just assume it was there.

So I went to do a search of the program telnetd and ftpd and cannot find it on my Knoppix box.

Here is what I did:

cd /
    find . -name telnetd -print | grep telnetd

The search result is as follows
    /KNOPPIX/usr/lib/telnetd
    /UNIONFS/usr/lib/telnetd

I went to both of these directories and they are empty.

I did another search for the ftpd and the result is also negative.

find . -name ftpd -print | grep ftpd

The search result is:
    /KNOPPIX/usr/share/doc/ftpd
    /UNIONFS/usr/shar/doc/ftpd

Maybe we need to write our own telnetd and ftpd if we really want to use it.

Rgds,
    Chip

Harry,

I got an idea, since I cannot find the telnetd and ftpd program on the Knoppix, definitely we cannot run it. Don't waste your time try to find it on the DVD or CD, maybe the Knoppix creator does not like them and did not include them in the CD.

Since the Knoppix is based on Debian Linux. I went to the Debian web site http://packages.debian.org/stable/allpackages.html

I found the following packages you might be interested.

ftpd, ftpd-ssl, telnetd, telnetd-ssl

I think if we download the ftpd and telnetd (or ftpd-ssl and telnetd-ssl if you think security is important) packages and install on the top of our current Knoppix. You should be able to have the ftp server up and running.

What do you think?

Rgds,
    Chip

Unless you specifically want telnet/ftp (for which clients are included on XP), why not start sshd on knoppix (/etc/init.d/ssh start), then use putty and winscp from the windows client?

Actually, I am able to connect from the Win XP box to the Knoppix box using ssh and putty combination before I post the question. That's the standard I'm using at work from my windows xp to the sun box.

From the Knoppix box, I run the following commands
    1. sudo passwd
    2. change the su password
    3. sudo passwd knoppix
    4. change the knoppix password
    5. sudo /etc/init.d/ssh start
    6. the ssh process kicks off

Then from the Win XP box, start the putty gui and enter the ip address. And it works.

But I just hated that I cannot do what I originally plan to do. I think it is a straight forward action but it ends up like a dead end.

I still pursuing the problem not because I will use it in the future for any production environment. (definitely not, security is a big issue).

But I think users should be given a chance to decide what they want to use instead of the provider put the applications on the table and say "here is what you can use, use it". (Sounds like Bill Gate to me)

Isn't that the spirit of Linux?

Also I'm new to Linux too, I wish that I can install a package to the Linux.

Rgds,
    Chip

Since the Knoppix is based on Debian Linux. I went to the Debian web site
    I found the following packages you might be interested.

ftpd, ftpd-ssl, telnetd, telnetd-ssl

I think if we download the ftpd and telnetd (or ftpd-ssl and telnetd-ssl if you think security is important) packages and install on the top of our current Knoppix. You should be able to have the ftp server up and running.

What do you think?
    What I think is that although Knoppix is based on Debian it is not Debian. I can't install to the CD. The UnionFS may actually help here, but I've never got it working quite right.

Installing packages under Knoppix tends to break things. Knoppix is a mix of different Debian releases and the parts are not always compatable. Installing and/or updating programs with Knoppix triggers incompatabilities (in technical terms it mucks stuff up). . So I use Knoppix as the Live CD or DVD that it was intended. If people want to install more I suggest that they use Debian.

I do have a copy of real Debian installed on hard disk on one of my computers. I can certainly install these or any of the many many Debian packages under Debian; the assortment included with Knoppix is just a small sub-set. I didn't get into that because it doesn't really answer your question, but if you can get an install to work without causeing other problems, good for you.

I wish that I can install a package to the Linux.
    Knoppix is a live CD (or DVD). A lot of applications were included but space was an issue, particularly for the CD, and it may not be unreasonable for them to have left out a insecure ternminal application when they had a secure system that did the same. I'm more bewildered by the apparent lack of a FTP server, since FTP is so simple and common. But unless you remaster you can't install to the CD, and I've alread gone over the issues about installing to Knoppix above (see also my answer #2). My advice is that if you want an easy to try Linux or a portable Linux that can quickly be placed on almost any computer, use a Live CD like Knoppix. But if you want to install your own choice of software, customize the look and feel of the desktop and GUI (or even the shell) , and make other changes that Linux allows you to make so well, use a Linux that is intended for hard disk. Debian is one and is the one that Knoppix is based on.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast