Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to boot Knoppix 4.0.2 from a floppy?

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    I have booted a Compaq DeskPro 2000 pentium 166 with Knoppix 3.6. It was the original HW & original CDROM drive. I had to use many cheatcodes but it did work.
    I'm really curious why my machine lost the part that F10 can go to the BIOS settting.

I've tries any keys or any combination of key I can think of. Just cannot enter to the BIOS setup screen. (i.e. all function keys, alt+function key, ctrl+function key, ctrl+alt+function key, del, ctrl+alt+tab, ctrl+alt+esc )

Any key I can try?

UnderScore, since your machine can go into the BIOS setting, can you check to see if there is any program actually the F10 is running on the harddisk. Maybe a program under a hidden directory or on a separate harddisk partition.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    What was the problem with SBM? It seems to me very likely that it can be resolved.

Yes, XOLS needs to be installed on the hard disk. I always give it its own tiny (about 2 meg) partition, although it can be installed to the existing Windows partition. It used the SBM logic to boot the CD (and it's own code to do the rest of it's magic), so if SBM acn't be made to work then likely XOSL will not either, but I have yet to run across a system where either of them will not work.

Can't answer your other questions.
    It is a kind of strange result from the SBM. I use the SBM floppy to start the machine. The SBM is up and running giving me a Boot Menu, inside the menu, I have the choice of Quit to BIOS, Reboot, Floppy, Harddisk and Primary 1.

No sign of the cd-rom entry there. Then I try every single one entry, the harddisk will boot the windows 95, the Primary 1 will boot windows 95 in safe mode. Reboot and Floppy will cause the machine to somehow like reboot but then bring me back to the SBM screen. Quit to BIOS will boot the windows 95.

Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    It Looks like to me that an other solution to your problem could be to make/modify and use a GRUB boot floppy disk.
    There are two options to make this grub floppy disk:
    a) use your DOS 95 boot floppy and copy grub.exe on it and update your config.sys to remove all devices
    (grub.exe do not work with emm386.exe loaded)
    b) install grub in the floppy (boot sectors of the floppy), cf grub man pages
    (or from xp use http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/grube.zip makeflo directory)
    From there using the proper grub menu.lst config file, grub should be able to read
    the linux kernel and boot ramdisk (linux & minirt_usb4.gz) from your disk drive
    and from there boot knoppix from the cd drive or from the cd file image (iso file) stored on your hdd.
    Link to grubh.zip (grub.exe and minirt_usb4.gz): http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=98940#98940
    Hope this helps,
    Gilles
    Looks like a possible solution here, I will try it.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by chip.ling
    It is a kind of strange result from the SBM. I use the SBM floppy to start the machine. The SBM is up and running giving me a Boot Menu, inside the menu, I have the choice of Quit to BIOS, Reboot, Floppy, Harddisk and Primary 1.

No sign of the cd-rom entry there.
    Primary 1 should do a normal Win start; I think it's just a matter of not having done a full shutdown last time. The reboot sounds right, and the floppy sounds like it booted the floppy, where you still had SBM. As to not finding the cd, that's strange. Is it a CD on a nice normal IDE interface? If it's an interface that needs non-standard drivers then SBM isn't going to find it, but it's always found normal IDE CDs for me.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Member registered user

But my machine don't have F10 to enter the BIOS setup when I boot up.
    Wha?????

Is this a Laptop?? -- you do not have an F10 key ? ....or it just does not work ?

Quote Originally Posted by |enouf|

Wha?????

Is this a Laptop?? -- you do not have an F10 key ? ....or it just does not work ?
    Sorry for my English. What I mean was during the boot up process, the Compaq screen comes up, but there is no sign of "Hit F10 to setup" prompt. I also tries all function keys including F10 but none of them bring me to the bios setting. Yes, my desktop do have 12 function keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Primary 1 should do a normal Win start; I think it's just a matter of not having done a full shutdown last time. The reboot sounds right, and the floppy sounds like it booted the floppy, where you still had SBM. As to not finding the cd, that's strange. Is it a CD on a nice normal IDE interface? If it's an interface that needs non-standard drivers then SBM isn't going to find it, but it's always found normal IDE CDs for me.
    Yes, it is a normal IDE interface connect to a DVD drive.

I use the SBM floppy and tried on the other desktop. It did show me the cd-rom entry inside the menu. Looks like the SBM depends on the BIOS setting content to work. Just wonder if I can enter an entry in the SBM application.

Member registered user

Wha?????

Sorry for my English. What I mean was during the boot up process, the Compaq screen comes up, but there is no sign of "Hit F10 to setup" prompt. I also tries all function keys including F10 but none of them bring me to the bios setting. Yes, my desktop do have 12 function keys.
    English ? No problem ....

you need to do this;
    http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...luujouyoyu.png

Full Maintenance Manual (PDF)
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su...333806-001.pdf

Source Page;
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&lang=en&cc=us

Your Desktop Pro 1000 Softpaq (last updated 11/1998 ?)
    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...te/3_1333.html
    and any other tasks/Info can be found from clicking on links on the left at this URL
    also maybe update the flash BIOS with a ROMpaq

1.6GB HDD eh? -- hey; I got win98 on a P-Pro 166 with a 1.2GB HDD

you need to do this;
    http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...luujouyoyu.png

Full Maintenance Manual (PDF)
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su...333806-001.pdf

Source Page;
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&lang=en&cc=us

Your Desktop Pro 1000 Softpaq (last updated 11/1998 ?)
    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...te/3_1333.html
    and any other tasks/Info can be found from clicking on links on the left at this URL
    also maybe update the flash BIOS with a ROMpaq

1.6GB HDD eh? -- hey; I got win98 on a P-Pro 166 with a 1.2GB HDD
    Thanks for the URL link. I eventually found my machine's Technical Reference Manual with other manuals from the site. My machine is Compad DeskPro 2000 Pentium 166MMX. One of the manual mentioned that I suppose to be able to go into the BIOS setting by hitting F10 during the POST stage. F10 is for the setup and F12 is the boot from the NIC.

But I do not see such F10/F12 notice when I boot my machine. Strange!

Administrator Site Admin-
    Looks like the SBM depends on the BIOS setting content to work.
    I don't see how that could be, the most common use of SBM is to boot a CD when the BIOS doesn't know about CD booting. Of course the BIOS may have seen the CD device on the IDE interface, but why would it not do that for you if the drive has a normal IDE interface?
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast