Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix Newbie trying to load some wardriving software?

Knoppix Newbie trying to load some wardriving software?

Hello :

First off...I know very little about linux ...what I am trying to do is..I have a 133 laptop that i want to "Wardrive" with..I have a USB wireless unit...i can get Knoppix to run on the laptop ,but I cant seem to "untar" or run some of the programs like kismet....maybe i just have no clue how to "install" and "run" something in Linux?...can this be done in this boot up version...also since this is a laptop...can i get Knoppix to run without the GUI?.......anyone dont this b4?

thanks for the responce

Mike

Senior Member registered user

Re: Knoppix Newbie trying to load some wardriving software?

--Unless you're a certified security expert looking to help people secure their open wireless ports, I doubt you'll find much help here. I don't support Wardriving, you friggin' cracker.

--Read up on what happened to Kevin Mitnick for a DAMN GOOD reason to *stop* what you're contemplating, before you get BUSTED.

--And unless you want to learn about Knoppix / Debian / Linux in general, feel free to go away.

Sincerely,

Dave (in BOFH mode)
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/30/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyMustang
    Hello :

First off...I know very little about linux ...what I am trying to do is..I have a 133 laptop that i want to "Wardrive" with..I have a USB wireless unit...i can get Knoppix to run on the laptop ,but I cant seem to "untar" or run some of the programs like kismet....maybe i just have no clue how to "install" and "run" something in Linux?...can this be done in this boot up version...also since this is a laptop...can i get Knoppix to run without the GUI?.......anyone dont this b4?

thanks for the responce

Mike

Wardriving is NOT a crime!!!.........all i really needed to know is how to ...and if you can untar and run ANY PROGRAM in Knoppix......I have been a HAM for 25 years...listen to everything including SAC.....I think your comments where uncalled for and rude "friggin cracker"? Cmon was that nice?

have a nice day

Mike

See these:
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...=thread&tid=99

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=41039&cid=4357138

--You may *think* it's not a crime, but the definition of "Wardriving" is travelling with the intent to locate/mark/use unsecured wireless network access points. 99% of Wardrivers are looking for illegal access to Internet bandwidth. The rest are planning on WARNING the people that own those points that they need to secure their systems.

--If you intend to steal somebody else's bandwidth, I repeat: Stop what you're doing and GO AWAY.

--Period.

End of line. [[MCP]]

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Wardriving is NOT a crime!!!.........all i really needed to know is how to ...and if you can untar and run ANY PROGRAM in Knoppix......I have been a HAM for 25 years...listen to everything including SAC.....I think your comments where uncalled for and rude "friggin cracker"? Cmon was that nice?

have a nice day

Mike

Wardriving

There is an included program at Kmenu>internet>airsnort . Supports prism and Orinco cards. Thanks Klaus.

As for being a hacker...Bah. Some people just aren't aware of the public wireless/Mesh networks that are going to someday soon become a new opensource internet like KNOPPIX is opensource software. Wireless internet created and maintained by it's public users.

Check www.communitywireless.com for a glimpse of the future. And maybe start a community network of your own. It's alot like packet radio but easier for everyone to be involved. Don't forget to WARCHAULKING.com the netwrks you find.

BTW if you want to be "eductaed" this is a letter from the FBI warning business in Pittsburgh about wardriving and it states
    "Identifying the presence of a wireless network may not be a
    criminal violation, however, there may be criminal violations if the
    network is actually accessed"

read the whole story here
    http://www.airora.com/modules.php?na...article&sid=85

later

Mike

Adam P

AirSnort

The AirSnort Package is included in the Knoppix Distro and the guy has the right to get help here. It is not illegal to use it, if it was then why would knoppix carry that package.

Anyway, my question: I cannot seem to get my Orinoco Gold card in to Monitor mode. Does anyone know what I have to do to make it work? How to patch the Orinoco driver?

also, the only existing wardriving/chaulking laws in the us are in PA, so for that quote to come from pitsburg would make sense and might not have any consequence outside of the keystone state.

Hey, can anyone tell me what a prism card is? I have a hunch that it refers to the chipset present on the card...i have a netgear...is that a prism?

thanks...

Re: Wardriving

--Perhaps I was a bit hasty. Things happen when you haven't had a decent job for a LONG time, and you sit down at the computer in what the Ents would call a "hasty" mood.

--I should clarify... Detecting wireless networks in and of itself may not be a crime (yet.) Using "security tools" on your own network to help SECURE THE SYSTEM is definitely a Good Thing(TM.)

--However:

1. You better not be connected to the Internet when using those "security tools", or you are bound to piss SOMEBODY off.

2. "Wardriving" carries certain "connotations" with it - i.e. people are using these detection tools to **steal bandwidth.** THAT is what I come down firmly against.

--If there is a public wireless access point, it should ALREADY be clearly labeled as such by the provider(s). If you indeed have no bad intentions, no harm no foul.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    There is an included program at Kmenu>internet>airsnort . Supports prism and Orinco cards. Thanks Klaus.

As for being a hacker...Bah. Some people just aren't aware of the public wireless/Mesh networks that are going to someday soon become a new opensource internet like KNOPPIX is opensource software. Wireless internet created and maintained by it's public users.

Check www.communitywireless.com for a glimpse of the future. And maybe start a community network of your own. It's alot like packet radio but easier for everyone to be involved. Don't forget to WARCHAULKING.com the netwrks you find.

Perhaps everyone should visit the NetStumbler forums:

http://forums.netstumbler.com

As you will see, compromising networks is taboo discussion in the forums and will get you banned. The people there drive and map for the fun of the discoveries.

It is like going on an African safari with a camera instead of a gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast