Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone built a Knoppix cluster?

Junior Member registered user

Anyone built a Knoppix cluster?

At our local LUG (http://lugoj.org), we just had a presentation from one of our members who built an 8-node Beowulf cluster using RedHat. During her presentation (http://atlee.net/beowulf/), one of the topics that came up was the potential for a Knoppix-powered cluster.

Has anyone set one up? I've inherited much of her cluster hardware for experimentation and would like to see what I can come up with.

Senior Member registered user
    Yes, this would be very interesting. But first, shouldn't we be talking about what application we'd run on a cluster?

Regards,

In an production setting, yes. I'm thinking more along the lines of a fairly generic case for academic purposes.

Even in this case, though, you're right. A specific application can provide a sample scenario to see the student through to completion and provide some means of verifying that it all works as it should.

Member registered user
    Look in the new ideas forum... clusterKnoppix!

Ok I have an application to run on the cluster. Now first I need to write a parallel code for a 3d poisson solver and run it on the cluster.

Ok now the application is decided. now where can i get a tutorial to get my cluster running.

i have a question someone said that cluster can be created with diskless clients.

second. does the clients need to have clusterknoppix or any other linux on it or not.

third can cluster be created my adding a mac on the cluster or only PC r allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by ziyad
    Ok I have an application to run on the cluster. Now first I need to write a parallel code for a 3d poisson solver and run it on the cluster.

Ok now the application is decided. now where can i get a tutorial to get my cluster running.
    It's fairly simple
    1. Plug in network cables
    2. Start the PCs
    3. Put in the ClusterKnoppix CDs

The nodes will automagicaly join the cluster, if everything works

i have a question someone said that cluster can be created with diskless clients.
    Yes, just like PXE booting normal Knoppix. Just boot one with the CD and boot the others via the network. There's a menu entry for network booting in the Knoppix menu.

second. does the clients need to have clusterknoppix or any other linux on it or not.
    No they need to have the same (openMosix patched) version of the Linux kernel. So you might be able to use some of the iso's mentioned at OpenMosix.org, as long as they use the same kernel version.

third can cluster be created my adding a mac on the cluster or only PC r allowed.
    It might be possible to port openMosix to the Mac hardware, but then you can't mix different processors (very well). IBM-compatibles and mac use a totaly different. Different intel processors can be mixed, but if you start for example MPlayer on an MMX machine it will use MMX instructions. When in moves to a node that doesn't know MMX it will (likely) crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Henk Poley

It might be possible to port openMosix to the Mac hardware, but then you can't mix different processors (very well). IBM-compatibles and mac use a totaly different. Different intel processors can be mixed, but if you start for example MPlayer on an MMX machine it will use MMX instructions. When in moves to a node that doesn't know MMX it will (likely) crash.
    Hmm. Should there be problems mixing Intel and AMD processors?

that means eitehr I can burn 12 cluster knoppix cd's and boot each of my 12 clients using the cd's or I can use PXE.

I never really understood what was PXE. U mean I can use my server and be able to boot my clients through my server.

Why can't i understand a simple thing.

OK i have some computers in my lab. But i don't have access to those computers. I only have access to my computer. Can using cluster knoppix I can make a cluster with out putting anything on the clients. my lab mates won't let me do anything to there computers. But i really need to test this thing.

I never really understood what was PXE. U mean I can use my server and be able to boot my clients through my server."
    Yes.

OK i have some computers in my lab. But i don't have access to those computers. I only have access to my computer. Can using cluster knoppix I can make a cluster with out putting anything on the clients. my lab mates won't let me do anything to there computers. But i really need to test this thing.
    You can either make cd's for all of the computers or do a network boot with an etherboot image on a flopy.

Get the howto details here:
    http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/doc/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by aay

You can either make cd's for all of the computers or do a network boot with an etherboot image on a flopy.

Get the howto details here:
    http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/doc/index.html
    Now this is what I wanted. This is perfect. I can download PXE and put it on a floppy and boot my clients from the floppy. does PXE automatically knows what to or I have to make changes to it.
    Let me try it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast