Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Persistent Cheat Codes

Junior Member registered user
    Hi IPUG,
    I'ld probably try Fedora instal when I get another HDD drive for my system

Thanks.

ICPUG, I tried this with both a Knoppix 4.0.2 as your example showed, and with a Knoppix 5.0 (DVD). That is, my menu.lst has the entry for 4.0.2 like your example, and a cut-and-paste of that with "402" changed to "500" everywhere. I then created the additional knoppix.500 directory, and as before took the linux and minirt.gz files from the 5.0 DVD. I also took the KNOPPIX and KNOPPIX2 files, which is different from your example that only had to deal with a single KNOPPIX file.

Well, I had great hopes, and the 4.0.2 boot did work. But not the 5.0. When it was going through, just after enabling DMA on hda and hdc, it gave the message:
    "Can't find knoppix file system, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell..."

When I rebooted 4.0.2 I could see that step that it must have failed on, in the 5.0 boot. It was:
    "Accessing Knoppix CD at /dev/hda1". But doing again in 5.0 I could see it barely flash on the screen that is was "Looking for DVD in /dev/hdc" and in other devices.

I tried removing the fromhd cheatcode, and I tried changing it to look in /mnt/hda1 rather than /dev/hda1, and I tried fromhd=scan, and I tried giving it the entire directory string. Same result, no matter what.

I'm a bit at a loss because I really did just cut and paste the working 4.0.2 entry into the 5.0 entry, so the menu.lst must be ok, unless it has to also refer to the KNOPPIX2 file, or something like that. But when I looked to the corresponding bootloader config file on the DVD, it didn't have anything like that.

Have you tried this process with 5.0 or 5.0.1, the DVD versions (that have two KNOPPIX files)?

<later>
    After playing with this some more, it is starting to look like one could get away with using fromhd in the 4.0.2 grub boot spec because 4.0.2 is (apparently) more forgiving than 5.0? That is, it doesn't seem to mind that the big KNOPPIX file is in a /boot/knoppix.402 directory, rather than in /KNOPPIX as I imagine it is supposed to be with the fromhd cheatcode. I am looking at the bootfrom cheatcode, but I don't quite understand what an "ISO" is. The only thing on the 5.0 disk that is iso is "...half-baked.iso" which doesn't sound promising. What do people mean about an ISO, is that the entire directory tree on a CD or something? That you have to tack a .iso extension on when you copy the directory tree to hard drive?

Moderator Moderator

use minirt_usb6.gz for booting Knoppix 5.01 from ntfs

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBx1
    ...I am looking at the bootfrom cheatcode, but I don't quite understand what an "ISO" is. The only thing on the 5.0 disk that is iso is "...half-baked.iso" which doesn't sound promising. What do people mean about an ISO, is that the entire directory tree on a CD or something? That you have to tack a .iso extension on when you copy the directory tree to hard drive?
    An described in here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image
    an ISO 9660 cd or dvd image is usually a quite large data file which can be used to burn a cd or a dvd
    and is what you are probably looking for when you download a new release of the Knoppix live cd or dvd:
    http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/

fat or ntfs partition ?
    =============
    If you have stored the knoppix/knoppix2 file on a fat16/32 partition (win 98 or me)
    the nice step by step solution described by ICPUG will work just fine,
    but if you are using a ntfs partiton (win XP default) it will not work.
    Neither the Knoppix linux kernel nor the inirt.gz boot ramdisk includes the ntfs kernel module
    required to load and boot from the ntfs partition and the result is that the linuxrc boot script
    will leave you in the very limited shell... basically only usefull for debugging the boot scripts.
    This the reason for my alternate minirt_usb6.gz.

Besides allowing you to boot directly from the ISO file (which is not required
    but will allow you to not need to extract the knoppix and knoppix2 files
    from the cd/dvd content because of the double loop back)
    my boot ramdisk includes the kernel modules for ntfs and reiser support.
    I also fixed some bugs (ext2 home directory)
    and added some more features as custom (static & dynamic) hostname.
    So if you use this minirt_usb6.gz file instead of the original minirt.gz
    it should work "as is" from a ntfs partition.
    You can find the minirt_usb6.gz in the following links:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=103883#103883
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796

Hope this helps,
    Gilles

an ISO 9660 cd or dvd image is usually a quite large data file which can be used to burn a cd or a dvd
    and is what you are probably looking for when you download a new release of the Knoppix live cd or dvd
    Actually, I have never downloaded these big things. Always bought CDs and DVDs from vendors. Is there a way to recreate the ISO from the DVD, maybe something already in Knoppix 4.0.2? I will dig around...

fat or ntfs partition ?
    FAT. It's Windows 98. So I guess IPUG's solution should work, if I get that ISO made.

Moderator Moderator
    Is there a way to recreate the ISO from the DVD, maybe something already in Knoppix 4.0.2? I will dig around...
    From Linux (Knoppix), you can use dd (disk dump).
    But please, be carefull when using this low level command,
    it is very powerful and can be *VERY* destructive for the data on your hdd.

From Windows, you can try: http://www.isobuster.com/
    This great program can be used in a free mode and
    after a right click on the cd/dvd icon you will find the extract cd image selection ...
    (do not use the raw format but the first extract option)

Yes you can use the original (from the cd) minirt.gz with a fat (win 9 partition and grub.exe
    from dos (no emm386 loaded) via a config.sys menu, cf my usb howto (grubi.zip):
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=93758#93758

Hope this helps,
    Gilles

The machine I was going to do this on (the one networked to my laptop) has a dying power supply, so I'm going to put this on the back burner for now, and see what I can get done with 4.0.2. One question though; when I use dd, /dev/cdrom should be unmounted, right? I tried dd when it was mounted and got an error, after a 3.8GB of data(!), and one of the websites I read about this process noted it should be unmounted first.

Moderator Moderator
    The machine I was going to do this on (the one networked to my laptop) has a dying power supply, so I'm going to put this on the back burner for now, and see what I can get done with 4.0.2. One question though; when I use dd, /dev/cdrom should be unmounted, right? I tried dd when it was mounted and got an error, after a 3.8GB of data(!), and one of the websites I read about this process noted it should be unmounted first.
    You want to umount a device which is mounted as rw (read/write) to prevent data corruption.
    By definition a cd-rom or dvd-rom cannot be written and by default is mounted as read only, so it shouldn't matter.
    You probably have a problem over 4GB because you are using a fat partition to save it to
    (A *LOT* of people reported this problem already with the Knoppix 5.01 DVD),
    or are transfering the file over a windows network (samba daemon on linux).
    Try to save the file locally on a ext2/3, reiser, (or ntfs using Knoppix 5.01) partition.
    My two cents,
    Gilles

No, the 5.0 DVD is about 3.8GB, which shouldn't have the problem you mention (which is why people are first reporting it in 5.0.1 - it's the first one over that limit). I still saw an error at the end, for some reason. I didn't transfer the file yet, and in any case the network is wired ethernet.

Again, I am regrouping for now. Shopping for a power supply this evening, for one thing...

Moderator Moderator
    ...I still saw an error at the end, for some reason. I didn't transfer the file yet...
    dd (disk dump) transfer data as long as there is no error and has no idea about the end of the disk/file.
    So I just think that dd reports an error when you reach the end of the dvd and basically the transfert is done.
    Did you check for the length of the file ? Does it match the dvd length ?
    (you may still have some slight difference from the length reported on a dowloaded iso
    since depending on the burner & software each physical dvd burned may be sligthly different...)
    My two cents,
    Gilles

Senior Member registered user
    Hi PaulBx1

Sorry for not coming back to you earlier. When this thread goes quiet I tend to return to check once a week. Anyway, I see Gilles Ruymbeke has been helping out.

From reading your post here and in another thread of this forum section it appears you are very much the sort of person my instructions are meant for. You are wary with messing up MBRs and you like to tinker with scripts!

To answer queries from your original post:
    I have not tried my step by step instructions witk Knoppix 5.0/5.1. I never obtained 5.0 and currently I have not got 5.1. I was waiting till it appeared on a magazine, but maybe I have to get it from a merchant before then. I am a bit concerned that the steps for a Win98 / FAT32 machine do not seem to work and I need to check it for myself.

I am not sure whether the problem is the change in version from 4.0.2. to 5.0 or whether the double file on the DVD is the problem. I have a 4.0.2 DVD so I think I must try loading the two files from that version and see if this breaks down as well. I will report back on that.

It should not be necessary to boot from the ISO on a Win98 machine - unless it is needed to solve the two file problem . The speed of loading Open Office Org can be severely reduced on my processor challenged machine, so I have tended to use the standard files in the past.

Note that if you do try to boot from an ISO my menu.lst instructions have to change to use bootfrom and remove the fromhd, knoppix_dir and knoppix_name parameters. These were added specifically for booting from the standard files. I found that when I did so it would search for the KNOPPIX file directly from where specified, rather than go searching every other device possible first, which led to slow boot up times.

I see you have also appeared on the Puppy Linux forum, perhaps because you followed my similar instructions for Puppy? Unfortunately I cannot see what you wrote, because the forum seems to be having some problems at the moment.

Anyway, I will try and run the 4.0.2 DVD and let you know how I get on.

ICPUG

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast