Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: News- Knoppix 5.0

Senior Member registered user

Knoppix 5.0 DVD and NTFS Support

Greetings all you Knoppheads from a fellow who hasn't posted on the forums in quite a while. Two questions. The 5.0 release is advertised with"* transparent write access for NTFS partitions (libntfs+fuse). " How transparent is this? Do I need to do anything more than mount the partition? Has anyone tested the write results. I've got a friend coming over tonight with a Windows machine who needs his partitions resized. Assuming I can get the dvd downloaded in time and assuming he has a dvd drive, can I mount the drive and then resize it with QTparted?

On a related note, are there any cd's available yet? I'm not sure that I'll be able to get this thing downloaded in time or that he'll even have a dvd drive.

Any quick replies are much welcome.

Take care,

Adam York

I would not recommend resizing partitions on a windows box if you value anything that is on them. It is a far better idea to use partition magic than to use an untried method. It would also depend on whether the partitions are NTFS or other.

Quote Originally Posted by ckamin
    I would not recommend resizing partitions on a windows box if you value anything that is on them. It is a far better idea to use partition magic than to use an untried method. It would also depend on whether the partitions are NTFS or other.
    Ckamin,

I guess my real question is whether Knoppix's new mode of writing to NTFS is more reliable. Previously I would have certainly agreed with you, but this new feature advertisement that knoppix now has "transparent write access for NTFS partitions (libntfs+fuse)" seems to imply that writing to NTFS is now safe or at least safer than before. Anyone have any further feedback on the reliability of this new NTFS writing method?

Adam

"Safer", not "Safe". Still would not risk it unless you are willing to lose the data and do a complete re-install. I would at least make a drive image before trying anything. There is a slight difference between resizing partitions with NTFS and just writing data to the drive. If you try it and it works, then Great! If it doesn't work, then so be it, you knew the risks. Just my two cents worth.

Member registered user

Re: 5.0 DVD

How much longer do we need to wait for the official release of Knoppix 5.0 on a CD? Just wondering...

Re write access to NTFS --

I haven't used the new Knoppix at all BUT when I had to recover a registry hive on a suddenly non-booting WinXP machine, I used a Knoppix CD and captive-ntfs (see http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/ ).

Captive -- which downloads and installs from Knoppix very straightforwardly -- uses a different approach from other FS modules; it actually loads ntoskrnl.exe and ntfs.sys from the Win2k or WinXP installation into a Wine-like environment and translates kernel fs calls into calls into the Microsoft modules. Because it requires the Microsoft code, it's not usually included in any distro, including Knoppix. But it reads, writes, and creates/deletes files and directories jes' fine.

Bad news: it's somewhat slower than the other NTFS support methods -- not surprisingly -- so if your principal interest is in reading the disks, use something else.

When will the new Knoppix CD come out? [this is a recording ...ing ...ing ...]

Junior Member registered user
    Well we've had plenty of questions concerning WHEN 5.0 will be released on cd. My question is different, I would like to know why the delay in releasing 5.0. Reminds one of microsoft's BS in releasing win95 years ago...... Come on knoppix, you can do better than this!

torp

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by torp
    ...I would like to know why the delay in releasing 5.0. Reminds one of microsoft......
    You sound quite demanding for a great distro given to you for free. I rather suspect that Klaus has his reason and I'll respect that and wait without bitching. There certainly have been a lot of complaints about the 5.0 version, it just might be that Klaus is fixing and testing before hundreds of thousands of people download the official ISO and burn it to DVDs.

Klaus may also feel that the unofficial release of the questionable 5.0 TAG version has lessened the perssure on him to post an official release quickly. Why release what is know to be buggy and people already have? He might as well take the time to make fixes, do testing and release something with far less problems.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

I'd rather have fewer bugs and a better release version, than to just have something that was slapped together in haste to meet a deadline. Main reason we are here rather than salivating over the next buggy release from Micro$oft. Give the man some time and don't complain if it's not costing you anything. I know I couldn't do it, so I'm glad someone is willing to spend the time to do it right and let some of these rude comments roll off his back too. I'm sure it will be worth the wait. If not, there is the next version.

Junior Member registered user
    You sound quite demanding for a great distro given to you for free.
    You read me all wrong Harry, my man. I am incredibly grateful for the tremendous work that has been done on this awesome piece of software. It's just that I hate the way microsoft does business, and to see the lack of communication from the great man himself is distressing in its likeness to that other os. Believe it or not I am quite happy with 4.02, so the 5.0 release will just be icing on the cake as far as I am concerned.
    By the way, you could maybe relax a little or take a chill pill. I know being the ultimate guru with all the answers is stressfull, but relax, take a cruise, have a sherbert or whatever you prefer.

torp

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast