Thread: New to linux,using knoppix live cd

New to linux,using knoppix live cd

I am very new to linux and I have used the knoppix live cd a little in the past recent system problems have caused me not to be able to run windows and I was using the knoppix cd to try and access the data on my hard drives so I can burn the data to dvd's so I can reinstall windows and I am having problems tring to get k3b to recognize the files I want to burn if I try to drag the files it says file not found. am I doing something wrong?is this even pssible?
    any help would be greatly appreciated

Administrator Site Admin-
    I've read this several times, but still don't understand what you are saying. Please restate your question. Please try to use punctuation marks where needed to help others understand.

Re: New to linux,using knoppix live cd

sorry
    I am very new to linux and I have used the knoppix live cd a little in the past, recent system problems have caused me not to be able to run windows and I was using the knoppix cd to try and access the data on my hard drives, so I can burn the data to dvd's, and I am having problems tring to get k3b to recognize the files I want to burn.
    If I try to drag the files to k3b it says file not found. and I want to know what am I doing wrong?is this even pssible with a live cd?

any help would be greatly appreciated

is this better?

Administrator Site Admin-
    I'm starting to understand, the periods really help.

I've burnt a CD with a live CD. This was some time ago. I have not used k3b but see no reason that it should not work, but I do recall some mention that there have been some burning issues (bugs) in recent releases. You might want to look at the bug report section in the wiki or search the forums for any known issues. Of course, if the Live CD is still in the CD drive and you only have one CD drive, then these is going to ba a conflict; you can't remove the Live CD and still be running Knoppix from CD. I solved this in two different ways: First I used DSL, which only takes 50 meg, and then wrote to the same CD that I had burnt DSL to on a second session with the burning software included in DSL. Second I realized that I could just use the toram switch to load DSL to memory (I didn't have enough memory to load all of Knoppix to memory), which let me swap out the CD and put in a nice fresh blank one. And on systems with multiple optical drives Knoppix can stay in one while you burn to another.

I do have 2 optical drives so that's not a problem,I am just having problems getting the program to find the files I want to burn

are there other live cd distro's that are better suited for burning cd's and dvd's?

Junior Member registered user
    I wonder if it helps you to know that Windows-xp has a repair function. If you run setup and press the right choices you can let Windows install itself in repair modus. I had to do this once before and it went very well, I got everything back. - Of course I don't want to give you any guarantee here because each case might be different, but even for a new installation, I would not expect Windows to overwrite application data - unless you choose re-format or re-partition.