Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DHCP on specific IP address range

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty
    HK, if you get a chance could you look and see if this unit will do what your's do?
    I'll look when I get some time Rusty, the manual is downloading now. Of course, it might have been better to look before making a purchase, as routers from any company can vary from model to model. If the router (which looks physicaly different than any of the 3 Dlink routers that I have used that all do have this feature) has similar software, it will be accessed by the home tap on the top of the web setup and the DHCP button on the left side when home is selected. Near the bottom of that page on my system is the Static DHCP Client List on my router, where I set this up. MAC addresses in this list get a fixed IP address from the IP pool and those IP addresses are not handed out to other computers, even if the computer claiming that address is not on-line and has not beem for a long time.

Rusty,

I have read through the manual for the WBR-1310 and I'm sorry to say that it does not seem to have this capability. Three others D-link routers I have used all have it (including a DL-514 that I have that I'm not a hugh fan of for other reasons), but the setup menus in this router look very different from those in older Dlink routers and this seems to be missing.

I did see that UPnP seems to be on by default. If you decide to keep the router I would urge you to disable this feature.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Senior Member registered user
    Had it and I lost it.

I found the feature I was looking for and set it up. Good. Went to forward port 80 to 8080 on one server and 8080 to 8080 on another - it didn't like that.

Checked the d-link website and found a firmware upgrade, loaded it and the dhcp reservation feature is GONE. And the port forwarding is the same and nothing like the support tab suggests.

I guess I'll either get a different d-link product or go for a WRT54G and try OpenWrt

PS. Thanks for taking the time, Harry

Quote Originally Posted by rusty
    I guess I'll either get a different d-link product or go for a WRT54G and try OpenWrt
    One major problem that you need to know about the Linksys router is that while the original 54 had the memory to support OpenWrt, it is my understanding that they made a change a few months ago and now the normal 54 has half as much memory and will not support third part software. They apparently still offer a version of the router with the original memory size, but sell it under a different model number, and I expect that that model is hard to find and much more expensive than the normal 54 (since the normal 54 often had sale prices and rebates associated with it but now this "fringe" product will not). I have no idea how to determine if a 54 you see in the box in the store is old production that might be suitable for OpenWrt or not. I would suggest that you do some research before buying something that you may be disapointed with, and if you learn any more about this than the modest bit I have said please pass it back to me.
    See
    http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl.../11/11/0638221
    and
    http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.../12/01/2326222
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Here's a bit more on the wrt54, http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.p...rticle&sid=446

caveat emptor

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    First of all, it sounds like your router may have a serious problem. It should not reassign the same IP address.

Second, are you absolutely sure that you are connecting to your router and not another router in the neighborhood?

Third, what make and model of router is this?
    Sorry for the late reply. Got too much stuff to do at work.

1st Question: I absolutely with you Harry.
    2nd Question: I pretty sure all the wireless pc is connected to my network as I can see it connects to the right SSID.
    3rd Question: My router is a "Network Everywhere" model NWR04B. (I was told it is the same manufacture for the LinkSys products)

I did a detail reading on my router's manual and found that I can set the DHCP to return a range of IP address.

So here is what I did to avoid the problem:
    1. Set the DHCP server to return the range of IP address starts from 192.168.1.100
    2. Set both Windows XP pcs using static IP address: 192.168.1.90 and 91
    3. The knoppix machine is using the DHCP dynamic IP addressing mode.

Now everything seems working OK. But I still do know what make the duplication of the DHCP IP address mode happens.

Also I encounter another problem too. I tried to make the knoppix machine to use static IP address and I did the following:

1. boot from the cd 4.0.2 with cheat code: knoppix nodhcp
    2. from the console enter: sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.92
    3. from the console enter: sudo route add -net default gw 192.168.1.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 dev eth0

It all run successfully, I did a checking with the ifconfig and route command and find that it seems the setting is ok. The knoppix machine is identified locally and working OK. (i.e. can connect from the Windows XP machine via Putty and ftp)

But when I try to access any web page, (i.e. www.yahoo.com, www.hotmail.com) I got an error saying "Host not found".

I think I must be missing something on my setup steps. Anyone can help?

Rgds,
    Chip

Quote Originally Posted by chip.ling
    But when I try to access any web page, (i.e. www.yahoo.com, www.hotmail.com) I got an error saying "Host not found".

I think I must be missing something on my setup steps. Anyone can help?
    Just have the problem solved. Forgot to define the DNS server name. I add the following line in the /etc/resolv.conf file
    nameserver 192.168.1.1

Now the internet connection is working.

Rgds,
    Chip

2nd Question: I pretty sure all the wireless pc is connected to my network as I can see it connects to the right SSID.
    Yes, confirming the SSID is important here. So is using wpa or at lease a wep key which should assure you that you are not getting connected to something else and bouncing back and forth. I have caught one friend who didn't listen to my advice to set up an encryption key but then finally asked me to look at their network to figure out why they couldn't network between the notebook and the desktop systems; sure enough the notebook was managing to connect through a neighbor's router. But this would have actually been a better thing to fix in your case, the router duplicating IP addresses really scares me.

1st Question: I absolutely with you Harry.
    3rd Question: My router is a "Network Everywhere" model NWR04B. (I was told it is the same manufacture for the LinkSys products)
    I don't know what to make of the "Network Everywhere" / Linksys claim. I am looking into it; and getting some very strange results back. I'll post what I find there as soon as I have details that I can share. But it really doesn't matter, that's what you have and it should not be doing what it is doing.

I did a detail reading on my router's manual and found that I can set the DHCP to return a range of IP address.

So here is what I did to avoid the problem:
    1. Set the DHCP server to return the range of IP address starts from 192.168.1.100
    2. Set both Windows XP pcs using static IP address: 192.168.1.90 and 91
    3. The knoppix machine is using the DHCP dynamic IP addressing mode.
    Yea, this is the less than perfect alternative I offered above. But you want DHCP to be a real working tool if you need it, for example if a few friend come over with laptops, you would not want to have to make people do manual configurations just to avoid the router handing out the same IP address. I would still suggest resetting the router and see if the problem persists. If so I would try to determine if there is a firmware update available.

Also I encounter another problem too. I tried to make the knoppix machine to use static IP address and I did the following:

1. boot from the cd 4.0.2 with cheat code: knoppix nodhcp
    2. from the console enter: sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.92
    3. from the console enter: sudo route add -net default gw 192.168.1.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 dev eth0
    One problem that I see right away here is that the netmask should not be 0.0.0.0.
    I don't know about the route command, I generally just use netcardconfig and then anser the dhcp question "no". but try a netmask of 255.255.255.0 and see if that helps, otherwise try netcardconfig.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    One problem that I see right away here is that the netmask should not be 0.0.0.0.
    I don't know about the route command, I generally just use netcardconfig and then anser the dhcp question "no". but try a netmask of 255.255.255.0 and see if that helps, otherwise try netcardconfig.
    The values I'm using are based on the working value when I'm using HDCP. I boot up the knoppix cd with HDCP, and then I type route, it gives me the netmask value of 0.0.0.0.

That's why I'm using it. Let me try to use 255.255.255.0 and see what the difference is.

Rgds,
    Chip

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast