Thread: Knoppix KN00B wants to delete a file to big for trash/IMG

Knoppix KN00B wants to delete a file to big for trash/IMG

I run Windoze2K as a guest in a bulk licence, and it takes forever for me to get the install disks, so I use an older version of norton ghost that a friend gave me to make an image of a lean and updated install with all service packs. I burned a copy to DVD and put a coppy to an old fat32 3.2GB HDD.

(Is there any wonder why I am learning Knoppix/Linux???)

Then I had a string of bad luck. I slipped getting out of my chair, hit the wrong combo of keystrokes and my DVD tray ejects, and since the tower is on the floor, of course i hit it and burnner tray, eye, and mainboard go bye-bye. Then the header on the ghost image of my install. Well that switches my priority of learning Web Design and restarting coding to learning Knoppix propperly.

my problem is I can't delete the ghost image file (1.3 GB). All my other drives are NTFS (yes I have learned what a headache that is). My Knoppix.img file is a 1GB and I want to delete the ghost image and recreate a Knoppix disk image that fills the drive.

Pleaze help me.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Your storry of stolen Windows software and stolen Norton Ghost software is very moving, but what the point was is not clear.

You can run Knoppix right from the CD or DVD, there is no need to install it and it is not recommended to install it. It needs no hard disk.

If you want an installed system you can install a distro like Debian to hard disk just fine. One of the options in the Debian installer is to let you erase the entire disk and use it for the install (there are others options as well, including manually partitioning the disk however you want). And while you are correct that Knoppix can not write to an NTFS partition, it, Debian and any other Linux with partition software for the PC will be able to delete an NTFS partition.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

First of all niether is stolen and are perfectly legal in my country!
    ( although not favoured by many software manufacturers)

Second: I am installing software other than what comes with the knoppix CD so I can have my preffered browser, the update to OO.org andmy preffered bittorent client so I can keep up on the podcasts, both video and audio, that I listen to.

I am using Knoppix not only for the occasional use, but as a live CD linux distro because while I am learning I don't want to repeatedly have to instally linux or risk mucking things up until I am ready to start mucking things up.

Eventually I will probably make my own live CD of Knoppix (or Debeian or SuSE) but I am not there yet.

I just want to delete a 1GB file on a Fat32 drive so I can make a bigger and more flexible Knoppix.img file.

Why... Because I don't want to reinstall everything every time I boot Knoppix.

Senior Member registered user
    Code:
    man cfdisk
    and avoid qtparted at all costs (at least that is my experience it malformatted my partitions) also, if you search the forums here there are several mentions of cfdisk, and I believe there is a sticky in the hd/debian install forum, I know hd installation is not what you want but the infromation on cfdisk should still be helpful, and there is always #knoppix or #kanotix on irc, I find those helpful from time to time.

and also, this is helpful for viewing a list of your current partitions:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l