Thread: Radeon 9250 Drivers ??

Radeon 9250 Drivers ??

I have been using knoppix 3.3 for awhile now and i like it. i have an ATI Radeon 9250 (under windows recognises as a MOBILITY/RADEON 9200/9250) and i have been unable to find a driver for it. the built in vesa driver works until i try to run certain things like Zsnes and tuxracer, then the screen becomes all garbled and makes a high pitch noice. could be a refresh rate isue but i dont know because i dont know how to check that . i have also tried the drivers for linux on www.ati.com. they installed but when i reboot and x goes to start agan *Bam* the monitor goes into standby.
    has anyone got this working ?? does anyone have any pointers where to start ??.
    Thanks in advance

Administrator Site Admin-
    Knoppix is a Live CD. It does not include the 3D drivers for your card (because, I believe of legal restrictions on the redistribution of the drivers, they are available freely but including them on Knoppix would compromise the freely redrisubitable nature of the disc because of the license that is included with them).

If you want a Live disc with drivers for your card I suggest Games Knoppix DVD, the most recet release (4.0.2, although not quite as up to date as Knoppix 4.0.2) does include ATI 3d drivers and tux racer. If you want an installed system I would suggest Debian and then installing the drivers from ATI.

i have tried installing the drivers from ati on knoppix, but my monitor just went into standfby when x started.
    if games knoppix isent too big ill give that a try.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    i have tried installing the drivers from ati on knoppix, but my monitor just went into standfby when x started.
    if games knoppix isent too big ill give that a try.
    thanks
    I explicitly did not suggest installing any drivers on Knoppix. Knoppix is a very delicately balanced mix of several incompatible Debian releases, and any additions or changes to this tends to result in problems, as you have seen. Debian, not Knoppix, is the way to go if you want a stable hard disk install, and you can't install drivers to the Live CD (although you can remaster it, as Games Knoppix did). This version of Games Knoppix requires a DVD, it will not fit on a CD and the older CD version did not include the 3d drivers. Not sure what you mean by isent too big ill.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

i never knew that lol. thanks for the info , maby ill just find an old small version of debain. i have a dvd burner but only a 1mb connection
    i misspelled i'll as in i will lol

thanks for the info

i never knew that lol. thanks for the info , maby ill just find an old small version of debain. i have a dvd burner but only a 1mb connection
    You don't want an old version of Debian, you want to download a new version (I suggest etch, testing although sarge, stable is also acceptable but not as new) and then only install the parts you want. I suggest getting the net-install CD (about 100 megs) and then doing a net-install to get the rest of Debian as needed. The net-install with the "desktop environment" selected will install Gnome, later you can apt-get install kde if you want it (and all that comes with it). A 1 mb connection is not an issue; I have 1.5 meg download ADSL and have installed Debian several times by net-installs on different systems in the past few weeks.

i misspelled i'll as in i will lol
    You really didn't do yourself proud on isent either. I'm certainly not one to play grammer cops, I make my share of typos. My point was I don't know what too big means to you. But since you have the DVD burner I would suggest that you do get the Games Knoppix DVD (GKDVD) and I would suggest that you download it by BitTorrent if you want to get a good download and do it reasonably quickly.

Member registered user
    You could try Kanotix which is a Knoppix derivative but more suited to a HD installation. Kanotix includes a "Kanotix" KDE control center module from which you can choose which X driver you want to use, including the proprietory ATI driver.