Thread: New to LINUX

New to LINUX

I am extremely new to Linux.. I am a student and have a Linux course (online). We were using Ubuntu.. but I am finding that this has many problems. So I found Knoppix... got the live cd 3.6... Maybe a dumb question but, does this OS come in English... I dont know much german.?? If someone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate this.

Administrator Site Admin-
    The simple answer is yes.

How you got 3.6 would be interesting, as it is pretty old and I would be hard pressed to tell you where you could get an English version of 3.6 any more. The Get Knoppix link near the top of this page will give you the BitTorrent Link for getting a current copy suitable for CD or DVD in either English or German default language. I would strongly suggest that you use BitTorrent and not use the mirrors and not buy a copy. I also urge you to follow the Documentation link near the top of this page at read, at the very least, the entire Downloading FAQ.

You can also change the language selection as you boot your German copy of Knoppix by typing in a cheat code (if I remember right it is knoppix lang=en but I could be wrong on that and you could check the cheat codes section of the wiki as easily as I and you might even learn a bit in doing that). But that gets to another problem that you have with the German version, not only is the Language German but the Keyboard layout is German as well, so many of the special symbols, including the = siign, are in different places, making it hard to type in the above string! Again just going by a less than perfect memory I think the German = is a shift-zero, but if I'm wrong you may have to search a bit for it.

Oh, if you download a new version of Knoppix be sure to get one with EN in the filename, not one with DE in the name.

wow... thanks alot Ya I got that 3.6 from mirror site. again thanks for the info.. probably be hearing a lot from me in the next 3 months, due to my Linux class.

ya that cheat code was: lang=en
    worked fine, thanks again.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremiah
    ya that cheat code was: lang=en
    worked fine, thanks again.
    You are welcome, but 3.6 should have been removed from almost all mirrors a couple of years ago. Consider updating and getting an EN version.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

I got started only 3weeks ago with an OLD Knoppix 3.6 also--from a friend of a friend. Meanwhile I ordered & just received the newest Knoppix 4.0.2 CD, and have had nothing but problems with the NEW version, especially printing/crashes galore (almost like being back in Windows!), so I'm back to using the OLD Knoppix
    Will getting the 5.0 DVD fix bugs/probs with 4.0.2? I primarily bought new version for the HD Install option--which was supposed to be an EZ menu option in this distr but is NOT 2B found! Do I install with the OLD 3.6 instead? Will HD install work on 3350M HD/part? Guess I'd better wait before buying the 5.0 DVD? (In case its bugs are worse).

Anyway...LSS (log story short)...I'll post it in a new topic, since I need some guru-mentor-expert help

BTW, I figure the learning curve going from Win98se to XP is about the same as going to Linux, from a single-user POV especially (not a network comfy chickadee, when it's JUST ME here, ya know?). I'm desperate enough that I'm ordering about 6 diff distribs from MadTux right now, to find one that works the best--intuitive, EZ install to HD & EZ setup/customizing without having to learn another NEW code language first! Welcome all experienced Knop/Linux users' feedback & suggestions on all the above. Now please follow to MY topic, Using Linux to Restore XP & setup a dula-boot system...
    Later,