Thread: cd rewriting for "live" disk

cd rewriting for "live" disk

Hey, i guess this is a simple question...though i cant seem to find anyhting in the forum by searching, i am new to linux and i have been able to download and verify the md5sum and burning as an image seems pretty simple...but there is a message in roxio that says specificly "The selected Record Method finalizes both the session and Disc at the end of the recording process. You can not add additional files to the Disc once it is finalized. ", does this not nescessarily apply to the disk i have made or will it not be "live" i.e.: i wont be able to save anything to the disk once it has been created? am i doing something wrong or should i ignore this? i have followed all the directions i could find but nothing seems to address this.

P.S. i am using roxio easy cd and dvd creator v 6, and burning knoppix std v0.1 (496 mb), the creator doesnt seem to allow me to adjust anyhting but the speed which i had set a 4x.

Administrator Site Admin-
    1. Writing a disc in "disk at once" mode closes the disk and nothing else can be written to it (at least normally and officially, but there are technical ways around this).

2. Writing a disc in "track at once" with the option "do not finalize, leave disk open for more writing" actuallty writes a blank next session header, which is what is needed to add additional sessions to a disc.

3. I don't know if Roxio offers these options, I long ago stopped using it's predicesors. If it doesn't then this would be just another reason in a long list not to use it.

4. None of this has much to do with Knoppix. Knoppix does not allow you to write anything else to the Live CD.

5. Even if you could write to the CD, you would find that there isn't enough space for another session.

6. This is a trick that can be used with other live CD distros. For example I have burnt DSL to the first session of a CD (with Nero), booted it, and then used DSL to burn an additional session on the same CD. DSL only takes up about 50 meg on a disc. But that is not to say that DSL somehow incorporates the information that I wrote to the second session when it is next booted; it does not. DSL does have a nice klik-like package system and if you were clever you might be able to download a number of additional packages that you want, burn them to the second session, and later access them from the CD, but I don't know what else may need to be done other than just copy the files.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

7. Knoppix std is not Knoppix. It is a security distro based on Knoppix, but quite old. Yes, you would have space on the disc for additional sessions if burn properly. But no, you can't just make changes to the Linux system and save the changes to the second session.
    ---

and as for saving documents etc., i understand that some distros cannot save to ntfs, but will read/write fat 16/32, i have an mp3player formatted in fat 16, do you think this would be suitable?

Quote Originally Posted by Art0fw4r
    and as for saving documents etc., i understand that some distros cannot save to ntfs, but will read/write fat 16/32, i have an mp3player formatted in fat 16, do you think this would be suitable?
    Took me a minute to understand what you were asking, but yes, usb flash devices with normal FAT partitions on them are fine for storing files. You do have to mount them read/write, as they will default under Knoppix to read-only, but that is not hard. See answer #6.

Again, what you have is not real Knoppix and is quite old. If you want Linux with some security tools then go ahead and burn and use it. If you want a new copy of Knoppix then follow the Get Knoppix link near the top of the page, download a fresh iso with BitTorrent, and enjoy.
    ---

i am experimenting with several distributions of live versions of linux, std is just one, and yeah it is mainly for the security tools, but anyway thanx very much for your help, i work in tech support and i know sometimes people ask some real naive questions so i definetly appreciate the time you took to help me.

Senior Member registered user
    Well, I don't know how this distro will compare to DSL but it seems to be quite well suited to making use of multi-session discs try the multi-session version of Puppy Linux multisession is a mirco distro like DSL so you should be able to save a good number of personal files and settings on the same CD, but this distro is not as robust as Knoppix, but is still very well suited for multisession.