Quote Originally Posted by garrincha
Just in case, how do I actually remove the Debian-Sarge on my HD, just so that I could install Debian-Etch?
I expect that there is more than one good way. I personally would just delete the Linux partition and the Linux swap partition and then Net-install Debian and tell it to use the now free space on the diak.

I do not recall coming up to the 'desktop install' (i.e. gnome) during the Debian-sarge install process.
It may have been worded different in Sarge, I just don't remember, I've done a lot of different installs since then, but I'm certain it was there and that it wasn't too hard to come across (since I did).

Anyway, I tried the apt-get in the debian [root] shell by typing:

atp-get install gnome

after pressing <enter>, I get this:

"package gnome is not available, but ......
I would have expected the name to be gnome, but maybe the name is something different. I have not had reason to track down the exact package name since Etch installed it for me. You could try searching through the Debian package list, be sure that you use the right list for Sarge or Etch.

I understand a bit more of the confusion on the cable modem now. What Windows calls something can be confusing, but in this case I think it is included here because you have a USB driver for the device in Windows. I strongly discourage any networking done over USB and if you can also attach that modem by ethernet I suggest that you do so and remove the USB support completely from Windows, it will run much better. This is also essential before you can add a routerm, as the USB connection stops you from attaching the router or otherwise having a proper network. You should not see this cable modem as a device under Linux, you should simply see you NIC or NICs and a NIC should connect to the cable modem or, better yet, to a router that connects to the modem.